By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal Ricochet lags and has jittering.

AlkamistStar said:
When did this turn into a Natal vs. Eyetoy thread? *sigh*

I don't know. Keep it on topic, you guys, or I'm going to start handing out bans.

Around the Network

may be is time for 360 to wait some long time before the release of natal, or they could get a shitty product.

F.U. Fun University.

Keep_the_change said:
@ ocn

The PS2 eye toy also used full body motion tracking, and the PSEye. Check this vid "project natal debunked":

That video's actually interesting.  Fantastically lame, but interesting.

RGB camera is limited by room brightness, depth camera works in pitch black. I don't know about you, but I am not playing in a fully-lit room most of the time.

RGB camera to "track" a 2D image != depth camera which tracks 3D regardless of lighting.

If Sony's had this for so long, what the F?  Where is it?  Why hasn't it been capitalized upon?
If this has been around since the PS2, then how does that not equal a fail for Sony?

It's easy to throw stones at the Natal, it's easy to say "we've already done/got that", but man if Sony HAS this stuff, what's taking them?

If you want some good info about Natal, read the Digital Foundry article where they had a very nice technical breakdown of it. I posted the article in this forum.

lol at all the hate in this thread. it was a pretty good read overall, posting a few of the other notable quotables the OP decided to ignore.

"Whether you're swinging at a ball, stepping to the side for a kick save, or pelvic thrusting towards a ball like a sex-starved maniac, Natal will convey your motions on to the screen exactly how you'd expect it to."

"Space Invaders Extreme is controlled by sliding your entire body back and forth in front of the screen. If you hop to the left, the ship will slide with you. Step back to the right and you can slide in that direction to dodge a bullet. To fire, you simply raise your arms in the air and point up. Now, this is one instance where the game technically works with Natal, but I can't see anybody actually preferring it to a normal controller. Holding your arms in the air and jumping back and forth is far more work and not quite as easy to stay accurate compared to a controller."

"The sweat pouring off of me after just a few moments of play did prove one thing, at least. Natal is going to put you through a workout. Leaping after balls in Ricochet, holding your arms outstretched for minutes at a time in Katamari, or shuffling from side to side in Space Invaders Extreme is far more exercise than you'll get sitting in a couch tapping on a button."

"Microsoft claims that Natal will work under any light conditions. It uses an infared sensor, which if sensitive enough could detect body heat and use that to track your motions. So far, however, we've only seen it in setups meticulously crafted by Microsoft -- well lit with little background interference."

"We all know and love Space Invaders, but I don't think I could possibly sell someone on the idea of playing it with Natal. Ricochet, on the other hand, is the kind of thing that will be a hit. We hardcore gamers like to sit around and imagine the possibilities of what you could do by combining Natal with a traditional controller. In reality, it's the simple and fun mini or carnival games that are going to be the winners."

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
lol at all the hate in this thread. it was a pretty good read overall, posting a few of the other notable quotables the OP decided to ignore.

"Whether you're swinging at a ball, stepping to the side for a kick save, or pelvic thrusting towards a ball like a sex-starved maniac, Natal will convey your motions on to the screen exactly how you'd expect it to."

"Space Invaders Extreme is controlled by sliding your entire body back and forth in front of the screen. If you hop to the left, the ship will slide with you. Step back to the right and you can slide in that direction to dodge a bullet. To fire, you simply raise your arms in the air and point up. Now, this is one instance where the game technically works with Natal, but I can't see anybody actually preferring it to a normal controller. Holding your arms in the air and jumping back and forth is far more work and not quite as easy to stay accurate compared to a controller."

"The sweat pouring off of me after just a few moments of play did prove one thing, at least. Natal is going to put you through a workout. Leaping after balls in Ricochet, holding your arms outstretched for minutes at a time in Katamari, or shuffling from side to side in Space Invaders Extreme is far more exercise than you'll get sitting in a couch tapping on a button."

"Microsoft claims that Natal will work under any light conditions. It uses an infared sensor, which if sensitive enough could detect body heat and use that to track your motions. So far, however, we've only seen it in setups meticulously crafted by Microsoft -- well lit with little background interference."

"We all know and love Space Invaders, but I don't think I could possibly sell someone on the idea of playing it with Natal. Ricochet, on the other hand, is the kind of thing that will be a hit. We hardcore gamers like to sit around and imagine the possibilities of what you could do by combining Natal with a traditional controller. In reality, it's the simple and fun mini or carnival games that are going to be the winners."

Actually, there is a video where they cut out all of the lights and it worked fine.

^That and it worked on all those late night shows with the crowds in the background and crazy stage lighting.

nightsurge said:
^That and it worked on all those late night shows with the crowds in the background and crazy stage lighting.

The demos where they wore the red jumpsuits? 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

That was one of them but I think there was a demo on a US live morning talk show where they wore normal clothes.

Lord Flashheart said:
That was one of them but I think there was a demo on a US live morning talk show where they wore normal clothes.

Yep.