By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

DirtyP2002 said:

I do not get why people say digital distribution won't be mass market?!

1. It happened with text (MS Word, .pdf, newspapers online, eBooks etc)
  2. It happened with pictures (digital cameras, USB picture frames)
  3. It happened with Music / audio (iPod, .MP3, iTunes is the largest store for music worldwide, podcasts)
    Try to buy a portable CD-Player at retail
  4. It is happening with games (PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, DLC, Games on Demand)
  5. It is happening with movies (Zune Marketplace, Apple TV, netflix, amazon.com even offers VoD)

It would be quite ignorant to say that videos or games are immun against digital distribution.

They still make tons of portable cd players.  As well as home stereos that play cd's.  What some don't realize is that DLC will most likely never become the only way to get content.  CD's have been out since the early 80's, and over 20 years later still sell very well.  As far as these movie download services go, there is no way they will completely get rid of Blu-ray.  It's here to stay.  And it'll have even more possibilities when they release the multiple layer tech that ups the storage to 400GB.  Of course, the downloads will still be here as well, since there is want for that too.  But we still have awhile to go before it matches the quality of Blu-ray, and internet speeds increase to where it only takes a few mins to download full movies.  Plus, you don't get any special features with these downloads, just the movies.  Pretty much we'll have both for quite some time.

Around the Network
CaptDS9E said:
Smidlee said:

Time Warner cable claims we are going to run into serious bandwidth problem in the near future as more and more people are watching tv shows, You-tube videos, movies online. Thus as demand increases faster than supply equals paying a lot more for bandwidth in the future. TWC could be just blowing smoke then again maybe they're  right.

Time Warner is full of crap. They are just so cheap they don't want to upgrade there system to the latest standard.

Not neccesarilly. The cost required, in upgrading their infrastructure is ridiculous, and by the time it's upgraded, and newer, faster cable is out, and they have to do it again. Many ISP's have been piggy backing on one another for a long time, a huge investment is going to be required once the internet age moves to the next level (in the form of mass downloading of games/movies) .

I need Blu-Ray.

thismeintiel said:
Smidlee said:
Garnett said:

@Leo J

My friend rented Tremors in HD,720P and it was like 4 gigs,so 1080p will be like 6-8 gigs.

Oh here is another thing,if you buy the movie,and you wanna watch you can just stream it,or just dowload the hole thing.

I believe a 2 hour DVD movie (in 480p)  takes somewhere around 5-6 GB. As you pointed out you can have 720p in 4 GB and even a 1080p in 3 GB if you like. But just like a picture the more information it has (memory it uses) the better the picture will be. Blu-ray does not automaticly mean HD.  What makes Blu-ray special is it uses a small laser so it can store/write more information on one disc.  Thus you can have a movie with up to 25 GB/50GB.

From the way I  understand this: If  you can watch something  in two formats uses the same amount of memory/ bandwidth  (4gb /2hrs for example) one at 480p another at 1080p. When the picture stays pretty close fixed (like watching Jeopardy) then the 1080p format will look better than 480p. But if the picture is constantly moving (Like watching any sports) the 480p will look better than 1080p. When it comes down to it a moving picture needs more  information a lot faster than a still picture. 

I think your confusing 1080i with 1080p.  1080i, or any resolution with i, is interlaced.  Which means the screen is divided into bars horizontally, even and odd numbered.  Only one set of bars is displayed at a time, say even first.  Then it is switched to where only the odd will be displayed.  However, this switching happens so fast it appears as one image to the human eye.  This interlacing has a disadvantage, as moving objects will produce a slight double image, or ghosting.

p, or pregessive, displays the full image at all times, resulting in higher clearity and no ghost image.

I think he was speaking about compression and encoding techniques.  In which case, motion and color changes do make a difference.

I love my Blu-Rays.

I love this also. I have been wanting this feature added for a long time and it is finally here.

I do not think this is a replacement for Blu-Ray, what I do know, is this is another awesome feature included with my Live subscription as an option if I so choose to utilize it.

Live just keeps getting better and better.

Around the Network

This is great news, i'll be using this feature for renting movies. Full streaming at HD quality with surround sound, wow...this'll be awesome!

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

JaggedSac said:
thismeintiel said:
Smidlee said:
Garnett said:

@Leo J

My friend rented Tremors in HD,720P and it was like 4 gigs,so 1080p will be like 6-8 gigs.

Oh here is another thing,if you buy the movie,and you wanna watch you can just stream it,or just dowload the hole thing.

I believe a 2 hour DVD movie (in 480p)  takes somewhere around 5-6 GB. As you pointed out you can have 720p in 4 GB and even a 1080p in 3 GB if you like. But just like a picture the more information it has (memory it uses) the better the picture will be. Blu-ray does not automaticly mean HD.  What makes Blu-ray special is it uses a small laser so it can store/write more information on one disc.  Thus you can have a movie with up to 25 GB/50GB.

From the way I  understand this: If  you can watch something  in two formats uses the same amount of memory/ bandwidth  (4gb /2hrs for example) one at 480p another at 1080p. When the picture stays pretty close fixed (like watching Jeopardy) then the 1080p format will look better than 480p. But if the picture is constantly moving (Like watching any sports) the 480p will look better than 1080p. When it comes down to it a moving picture needs more  information a lot faster than a still picture. 

I think your confusing 1080i with 1080p.  1080i, or any resolution with i, is interlaced.  Which means the screen is divided into bars horizontally, even and odd numbered.  Only one set of bars is displayed at a time, say even first.  Then it is switched to where only the odd will be displayed.  However, this switching happens so fast it appears as one image to the human eye.  This interlacing has a disadvantage, as moving objects will produce a slight double image, or ghosting.

p, or pregessive, displays the full image at all times, resulting in higher clearity and no ghost image.

I think he was speaking about compression and encoding techniques.  In which case, motion and color changes do make a difference.

Oh, gotcha.  Yea, I reread the post and see that now.  Thanks for clarifying.

Duh, Microsoft are so wonderful. I, uh, prostate to you. worship all the crap you offer. I don't need blu ray. What, you want to bring out xbox with Vhs, yes, yes, whatever you say. VHS is the best. You gave us the add on to play HDD a couple of years back for $200. You knew that it was going to lose to blu ray but you still charged us and we pay for it. It was not wrong, there must have been some spiritual benefit for me, I cannot see that. I worship you, please give me more crap, I love you.

Xbox "Phoenix" online-only and cloud storage confirmed? I made a prediction like this last year. It may very well be that the next Xbox will not even have a HDD.  Storage for films, games, and the rest is just the beginning.

Foibbles said:
blackops said:
Well,good for xbox. But I'm sorry to say that a lotta people still like their HD movies on discs which they will obviously choose bluray therefore MS needs to figure something else out

Are youy really sorry to say? You mean you're HAPPY to say. You don't want it to suceed do you?

Why do I care if it succeeds or not? It's not like I profit from it. Plus I will  buy most of my movies on dvds and bluray