By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

I feel a lot of frustration is some of the post.......

Around the Network

if you are able to Buy 1080p movies on the marketplace, then I will be impressed. 1080 takes up soooooo much space, it makes even 250gb seem small.

I am assuming this marketplace will allow you to rent 1080p, and buy in 720p.
You may be able to purchase 1080p video, just not movies.

But that is just how the PSN works, I am just speculating here. Sony does it that way for two reasons;

1. Not offering full movies available to buy in 1080p (just rent) gives blu-ray a stronger foothold.
2. at 1080p full movies will take up retarded amounts of space on a hard drive.

I think MS is better off going with their advanced 1080p streaming system they are working on.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

ultraslick said:
if you are able to Buy 1080p movies on the marketplace, then I will be impressed. 1080 takes up soooooo much space, it makes even 250gb seem small.

I am assuming this marketplace will allow you to rent 1080p, and buy in 720p.
You may be able to purchase 1080p video, just not movies.

But that is just how the PSN works, I am just speculating here. Sony does it that way for two reasons;

1. Not offering full movies available to buy in 1080p (just rent) gives blu-ray a stronger foothold.
2. at 1080p full movies will take up retarded amounts of space on a hard drive.

I think MS is better off going with their advanced 1080p streaming system they are working on.

Once you purchase a movie, you do not necessarily have to have it on your hard drive.  Just stream it whenever you want.  But if you do not have a good enough connection, the full download is there.

Am I the only one that noticed the HD version of Heros is cheaper than the SD version if you buy it?

Good start, but people will still need bluray + the next format for awhile, average internet connection speed isn't high enough, and HDD storage for average consumers isn't large enough to make this completely worth while yet.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@coktoe

you are full of attitude this evening... but I like the humourous responses...

its all a bit of fun really isnt it.. nothing serious... thats always my stance here

Yeah. I suppose I am. It's the product of a bad day and beer. All good fun for sure, I just had some extra vitriol today. Off for the night. Later.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

You know how long would it take an average consumer to download a true Blu-ray quality movie?

I agree that it's the future, but it won't happen until your internet connection gets much faster, and download caps dissapear.

I rarely if ever use dvds anymore. Between netflix, hulu, amazon, live (and maybe torrents, but I deny it), I have access to enough content that I have absolutely no desire to collect fixed media. There is more content available online today than I could ever watch.

Maybe the quality isn't quite as good as dvd or blu-ray, but that's a price I'm more than willing to pay or in this case, not pay. I think most people don't really care about the highest picture quality, but would rather have better access to more content.

I don't want blu-ray.

I don't want dvd.

I want to be able to access anything at anytime at reasonable quality.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

I think I will not download movies soon. Like games I rather have them on disk than just download them....I am really scared for the future (like 10 years in the future) when my xbox 360 probably don't work anymore and can't download my games who were on my HDD...

I think you have to go out and just try to download a 720p movie on Xbox Live. I had HD-DVDs (got them cheap after HD-DVD was dead, like 3-5€ per movie) So I already saw 1080p on a 46" screen. So I tried the Xbox Live marketplace  and I couldn't believe a 720p movie would be a 4.5 GB file.

Well I watched this and I was blown away. The picture was more or less the same like on HD-DVDs. I could only see the differences when I came very close to my TV.

Even my girlfriend said, that the picture is very good. It was her first HD experience. My father was even more impressed, because he knew about BluRay, HD-DVD etc. He was shocked that this was just a 4.5 GB movie.

I do not care about bitrate etc. All I see is a great sharp picture, even on 720p. I will try to download a 1080p movie to try this one. I do not expect to see any major differences.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...