By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Shortages Possible, Eating into 360 sales says Analyst

Um, people on VGChartz have been discussing profits for many a year, not just since the PS3 price cut. Cmon, you've been on this site a while so I'm sure you're aware of this

Around the Network
demon123 said:

This is a very good analysis. He is not biased and claiming a 500% increase but has mentioned reasonable numbers. The market is also realising that the 360 is obselete and with a system available at such a good price with blu ray and better games than 360 now and being released in the future.

Welcome to fail...

Population:you!

Zizzla_Rachet said:
demon123 said:

This is a very good analysis. He is not biased and claiming a 500% increase but has mentioned reasonable numbers. The market is also realising that the 360 is obselete and with a system available at such a good price with blu ray and better games than 360 now and being released in the future.

Welcome to fail...

Population:you!

hahahaha best quote ever 

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Grimes said:
What about profits? Let's say MS pulls a profit and Sony posts another big loss, who really wins? I'm not saying that will happen, but it could. If you sell more but lose more money, it seems like a Pyrrhic victory.

True, but MS is about $6 billion in the red all-time in the gaming industry, while Sony is 1-2 billion in the black still.

And by selling more consoles without too huge of a loss, they'll keep selling more and more software.  I think they lose $50 per slim now or something...which is way less than they were losing earlier this gen and it's an amount they can make back and more.  The Playstation line was in the black last quarter, last I heard on the matter.

You think...therefore it's fact...please :/

Kaz told the Newyork Times that they are losing money on the slim....I doubt it's just 50 bucks...

And as for your sig...PSU should of asked Valve...Why don't they actually develop for PS3 ....Remember...Orange Box...

demon123 said:

What??!? Take your fanboy hat off. lol!! The XBox 360 is far, far from being obsolete. We'll see how obsolete it is after Halo 3: ODST is released and the Halo 3/Halo ODST bundle gets released before the holidays. lol!! The PS3 doesn't have better games then the XBox 360. Both systems have some great games and some bad games. The XBox 360 still has more quality games overall and a larger library. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network
Zizzla_Rachet said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Grimes said:
What about profits? Let's say MS pulls a profit and Sony posts another big loss, who really wins? I'm not saying that will happen, but it could. If you sell more but lose more money, it seems like a Pyrrhic victory.

True, but MS is about $6 billion in the red all-time in the gaming industry, while Sony is 1-2 billion in the black still.

And by selling more consoles without too huge of a loss, they'll keep selling more and more software.  I think they lose $50 per slim now or something...which is way less than they were losing earlier this gen and it's an amount they can make back and more.  The Playstation line was in the black last quarter, last I heard on the matter.

Kaz told the Newyork Times that they are losing money on the slim....I doubt it's just 50 bucks...

And as for your sig...PSU should of asked Valve...Why don't they actually develop for PS3 ....Remember...Orange Box...

True.. and the XBox 360 has been out of the red since March of this year for their gaming division. I think it had something to do with all the profit from XBox Live/XBLA and the millions in Halo, Guitar Hero and CoD sales on their system. lol!!

'gaming till I'm gone'

Grimes said:

And what is your evidence to suggest this is the case?

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Its eating into something's sales, but its not the 360's

mM
XanderZane said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Grimes said:

True.. and the XBox 360 has been out of the red since March of this year for their gaming division. I think it had something to do with all the profit from XBox Live/XBLA and the millions in Halo, Guitar Hero and CoD sales on their system. lol!!

Yay for MS.  It's a high hill to climb out of the red for them.

Kazuo Hirai, president and group chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment, told The Times at the inaugural Gamescom convention in Cologne: “We felt it was the right time to pass on the benefits of the fact that we’ve been able to reduce the number of components and their sizes. We wanted to pass the cost savings on to our consumers in the new price point.”

Hirai admitted that Sony already loses money on each console it sells. “If you’re just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes, we do lose money on every one. That makes good headlines, but I don’t actually know that that’s the true nature of the business that we’re all in, whether it’s PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii.

“I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to say are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer to that question is yes.”

Both Nintendo and Sony face particular problems in cutting hardware prices, as the Japanese yen has appreciated by over twenty percent against the pound in the past two years, which has had a huge impact on their profits and leading Nintendo to unfavourably raise the UK distribution price of Wii without increasing the RRP, cutting many independent retailers out-of-the-picture. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with the latest developments from all three console manufacturers.

http://electronictheatre.co.uk/index.php/playstation3/playstation3-news/2765-sony-confirms-playstation-3-official-uk-rrp

And I'll point out, this thread IS/WAS about current and upcoming sales.  Profitability was brought up by the XBox camp as an attempt to change the subject.  Once they brought it up, oops, MS doesn't look so rosy either.