By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 5 Over hyped Games this generation

No mario kart or smg? Fail.

Around the Network

GTA IV redefined hype

CGI-Quality said:
Well, "overhyped" means a game that didn't live up to the hype, which is subjective to begin with. The only game for me this gen that TRULY felt overhyped was GTA IV. Other than that, I don't think many games this gen have been "overhyped', nope not even Killzone 2 or Halo 3 either...

You are right with your first part, but I do see Resistance 2 did not live up to its hype. I mean, we talked about R2 could do Gears of War 2 numbers, maybe even pass that. but that is just saleswise, quality seemed to be a nice 8.5 / 10 game.

But how can you say Halo 3 was overhyped?

It is heading toward 11 million (!!!), it received a 94 on metacritic, it is still the most played online console game ever? I think it did what it was supposed to.

GTA IV has great sales and great critics, too. But it failed to amaze players or fans of the franchise.

All the games you mentioned were hyped, but most of them delivered.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Halo 3 wasn't overhyped since hype = expectaions and excitment towards something, and I don't think that anyone who was really hyped for Halo 3 expected anymore than what they got - A highly polished single player experience + a great multiplayer game.
On the other hand, pepole expected GTA4 to be better than GTA SA, not worse than GTA3, and that's over hyping.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

I don't recall Resistance 2 being very hyped. Replacing it with Killzone 2 would be more accurate.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

Can't say that I agree with the list. MSG4 and GTAIV would have definitely been in my top five if I made such a list.

What makes a game "overhyped" ?? the sales?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

KylieDog said:
MontanaHatchet said:
In other words:

"Pick popular HD games and come up with weak reasons as to why they were overhyped."

Say what you will about Halo 3 or any other game, but Gears of War 2 was definitely not overhyped. Rather, it met its hype quite nicely.

SSBB is a popular HD game now?

Yup 

no GTA IV = FAIL !

DirtyP2002 said:

You are right with your first part, but I do see Resistance 2 did not live up to its hype. I mean, we talked about R2 could do Gears of War 2 numbers, maybe even pass that. but that is just saleswise, quality seemed to be a nice 8.5 / 10 game.

Who honestly stated that R2's sales would achieve parity with Gears 2's sales? I would be astonished if anyone actually predicted that. No, R2's hype was commensurate with its sales and critical reception.