By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dream Wii "Action Sets"

Wii sales are down. Wii Sports, one remote and one nunchuk is an outdated set of stuff to get in the Wii's box.

In 1988, Nintendo released the NES Action Set, which included 2 controllers, the NES Zapper, and Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt on one game cart. It was the most popular version of NES sold in America. The NES was a confusing mess of different controllers, and different game experiences needing them in different configurations, just like the Wii is, but the Action Set gave people everything they wanted in one box.

For my birthday, early in the year 2000, I got a transparent green Nintendo 64, with a matching controller, a banana yellow Donkey Kong 64 cart, and the required RAM expansion pack. That was way cool.

I think Nintendo needs bundles like that right now. I really, really want to see stuff like that.

Let's say Nintendo cuts the price of the current Wii with Sports, one remote and one nunchuk to $199, but also releases a new configuration at a higher price point. In a dream scenario, what's in that box?

The most obvious choice:

Wii system
2 remotes
2 Motion +
2 Nunchuks
Wii Sports Resort
$299

Core Gamer's Set:

Wii system (Black)
1 remote
1 nunchuk
Super Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime Trilogy
$299

Mario Set:

Wii system (Red with Mario "M")
4 remotes (1 each Red, Green, Navy and Yellow)
4 nunchuks (1 each Red, Green, Navy and Yellow)
4 Wii Wheels (1 each Red, Green, Navy and Yellow)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Special edition Mario Kart Wii with playable Yvan and Wolley Toads.
$399

Wouldn't that be more exciting than this?:

Wii system
1 remote
1 nunchuk
Wii Sports
Now only $199!

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Raising the price? No. Unless the original bundle gets a price cut to 200$.

If those are the only options, then hell no. 300 as an entry price for the console would be suicidal with the trend the Wii is seeing currently.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Too complicated for most consumers, too much choice makes people irritated sometimes, my guess is they offer a Wii with Mario, one remote and one nunchuck for 250 and maybe a Wii without a game for 200 if anything does happen in october

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Erik Aston said:

Let's say Nintendo cuts the price of the current Wii with Sports, one remote and one nunchuk to $199, but also releases a new configuration at a higher price point. In a dream scenario, what's in that box?

Thanks for reading before posting, trestres.

"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Sorry, you did say that both would be available. Then yes, that would be a great move. To offer both a cheaper bundle and more expensive ones with a lot more content would be a great incentive.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Too complicated for most consumers, too much choice makes people irritated sometimes, my guess is they offer a Wii with Mario, one remote and one nunchuck for 250 and maybe a Wii without a game for 200 if anything does happen in october

Complicated? How exactly? If they don't like the bundles they can always go for the standard Wii and then buy the games they want separately. If the customers have more choices, then they are more likely to end up buying one, as opposed to when only having one choice. Plus this bundles will offer better value than a standalone Wii, so it may be good for those willing to spend more money on the first day because it will mean they saved some $$.

But Nintendo will never offer bundles that are better value than other bundles they offer. So I doubt that Mario Kart/NSMBWii bundle will ever happen. The core one seems more reasonable, but so does a Player's Choice catalogue along with multiple colored Wii's and remotes on top of a pricecut.

I'm still appaled by the lack of choices Nintendo gives to their customers when they go into a shop to buy a Wii. DS has plenty of choices of all kinds (Different models, colours, prices, bundles, special editions) Wii has none.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Well, too many choices is the problem now. How can Wii Sports Resort have any impact on system sales when you already feel like you're paying for Wii Sports with the Wii, and then there's various ways to get the second remote and second Motion +? How many people will buy nothing when they have the choice of two ambiguously different versions of Wii Fit on the shelf for at least a few weeks.

Obviously if they had ALL the above configurations, it would be ridiculous. But each of them would be the complete experience in one box.

Anyways, I want to see other people's ideas for crazy bundles. The Action Set for $149 was crazy. The DK64 bundle for $99 was crazy. They were huge value for their price compared to previous options. $249 Wii with NSMBW and one remote and nunchuk is way too "safe" and doesn't address the problem of not getting the "complete experience in the box." With the craziness of the peripheral options today, Nintendo needs the "complete experience in the box" much more than they did in 2006 and 2007, hence the $299 WSR bundle.

trestres said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Complicated? How exactly? If they don't like the bundles they can always go for the standard Wii and then buy the games they want separately. If the customers have more choices, then they are more likely to end up buying one, as opposed to when only having one choice. Plus this bundles will offer better value than a standalone Wii, so it may be good for those willing to spend more money on the first day because it will mean they saved some $$.

But Nintendo will never offer bundles that are better value than other bundles they offer. So I doubt that Mario Kart/NSMBWii bundle will ever happen. The core one seems more reasonable, but so does a Player's Choice catalogue along with multiple colored Wii's and remotes on top of a pricecut.

I'm still appaled by the lack of choices Nintendo gives to their customers when they go into a shop to buy a Wii. DS has plenty of choices of all kinds (Different models, colours, prices, bundles, special editions) Wii has none.

Because people don't want to look at multiple bundles and try and figure out which one they want, they want to be able to pick up one bundle and know that they are getting everything they need, Nintendo knows this which is why it didn't flood the market with tons of SKU's, having one bundle and as an alternative a system without a game is simple, if you want the game you get the bundle, if you want a different game you get the game and the system seperately, that way the choice is simple for the consumer.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I wouldn't want Twilight Princess in there. It's really old.

I could see a similar Wii package with NSMBWii and they should have done that with WSR. Nice ideas.