By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Throwing Down the Guantlet... putting my VG Chartz $ where my mouth is!

During this period last year, the X360 sold 8.5-9M (I'm not sure how much, VGChartz is messing up for me).

If we assume a 33% drop, That would leave it at 5.5-6M. This would require for the Ps3 to sell 13.5-14M. That won't be the highest ever - that was my mistake.

The Wii sold 16.5M in that period last year. The DS has also exceeded it.

However, it seems to be roughly as much as the Ps2 did at its peak. In other news, your bet will require that

1. The X360 drops almost as much as possible

2. The Ps3 matches the peak of the Ps2. At this time, the Ps2 had dropped to 149 dollars (I believe), and there was no economic crisis. Additionally, it had far larger sales in Japan than the Ps3 will. In other news, it will have to outperform the Ps2's best in Europe and Americas.

Around the Network

i only got gold you accept gold?

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Would this be a good opportunity to remind you all that I CAME UP WITH THE IDEA FOR VG$ BETS like two months ago, and Nordlead said it was a good idea, then everyone forgot about it?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Here's the thread, in case anyone cares:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=81788

None of the betters so far seem to care about getting his money, just proving him wrong. The need for a bet isn't really there.

Around the Network

I have faith that people are not as stupid as dirt. Nobody is going to look at the Xbox360 and PS3 selling at the same price and buy the Xbox360.

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

TWRoO said:

It took the Wii 40 weeks to overcome a 5.6 million gap.... this feat is approximately double the amazing feat the Wii managed. (multiply 5.6 by 3/4 = 4.2 million for 30 weeks)

Add to that the X360 was selling between 60-80k worldwide, whereas this time it is selling about double that... means the feat needs to be doubled again.

---

Or to put it another way, the PS3 needs to outsell the X360 by 260,000 consoles per week average, the slim launch week it just managed ~390K... it will probably be already below 260k advantage the following week.

Very intelligently explained.  I think you hit the nail on the head and summed up everything I was thinking very well.  Nice post TWRoO.

DaSimkin said:
I have faith that people are not as stupid as dirt. Nobody is going to look at the Xbox360 and PS3 selling at the same price and buy the Xbox360.

Yet 160k people bought a equally priced 360 during the lauch week of the Slim.  So apparently.....as you put it.....we are going to have hundreds of thousands of people "stupid as dirt" weekly, for the rest of this generation.

Remember, games are what push systems, not just features.  The 360 has the largest library of back-catelogged quality games, largest library of RPG's, as well as the best online in console gaming (IMO).  That my friend is why people may choose it over the PS3 Slim.

DaSimkin said:

You know what. If I had neither the Ps3 or the Xbox 360. And if they were the same pricepoint. I would buy the Xbox 360 in an instance

Also, if you gave money to EVERYONE saying you were wrong, they'd get like $1 each.