By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Nintendo Wii Bashing From CNET

facher83 said:

Point 1: "If the player does not enjoy Nintendo games" is a blatantly stereotypical answer from a lot of people. It's just about as bad as (actually it is as bad) when people state that they hate EA games. Have they played all EA games? Probably not. Sim City is not in the same league as their golf games, or Burn Out, or The Sims... your counter is more horrid.

Point 2: "Being able to using a classic controller or a gamecube controller does not make the Wii's motion controls any better." - This statement does not re-inforce any notion that PS3 or XBox2 will do so much better because no motion control exists. What makes PS3 controllers so much better? Because they don't have motion control? Laughable reasoning.

Point 3: "I know people who don't like the Wii. Some prefer the HD graphics of the PS3 and the online action of xbox Live. Others just don't like Nintendo games. Not everyone likes the Wii." I know these people who say this and that. Your point is exactly why I said mine, because it's completely base-less, just as the previous posting. There are plenty of online computer games that don't make the others any better than any other console or machine.

Perhaps going back to the original quotes will lend better explanations as to what I said and why. Without looking at it too much, Point 2 on your case is... silly. Go back to the reference that Wii won't work well for all genres, and realize what you just said, and what I tried to point out.

1. It's a fair answer even if you don't like it. I know people who don't like Zelda or Mario. If you can't stand Mario, Nintendo's biggest franchise is eliminated. Game over right there. I know you may not understand how some people can hold that opinion but they do. No amount of disbelieving or plugging your ears saying "la-la-la-la" will change that.

2. Um... the premise was that the motion controls wouldn't appeal to everyone. You countered by saying you have alternatives to the motion controls which was irrelevant as having alternatives does not make motion controls themselves more appealing.  Now you're countering by saying that the 360/PS3 controls won't do better which is also irrelevant.  Whether or not some other controls appeal to people has no bearing on the Nintendo's Wii controls appealing to them.  Keep your eye on the subject because none of what you're saying is relevant.

3. Why is my point baseless? Shall I go tell my friends they're figments of my imagination because you don't believe it? Why is it so hard to understand that other folks have different taste in systems/games or prioritize certain features differently?

It's one thing to be a fan of a system, but it's another thing to become closed minded by virtue of that fandom.

Around the Network

Yeah some people don't like Mario or Zelda, but a lot of those people love games like smash, or Nintendogs or brain age etc., Nintendo has much more than just Mario and Zelda, not to mention third party games like Moster Hunter are coming.

Motion controls may not appeal to everyone but you're assuming that those who don't like Motion controls will also not like the games that do not use motion controls, Smash uses no motion, controls, do you think that people who like smash will avoid the Wii even if they don't like motion controls?

Irrelevent, not everyone liked the PS2, it only sold about 120 million units the US population is three times that number alone.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Does no one remember Wii Bingo?

http://malstrom.50webs.com/bingo.htm

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports

Play Sega Saturn!!!

My Music Video

My History

Hmmm, grandmaster192 needs more posts in this thread to get a bingo. ^_^

YES PS2 GRFX weren't good

but the difference between the Wii grfx & PS3 grfx is so extreme in some cases that that argument is void

the difference between the PS2, xbox n GC grfx was there, but it's NOWHERE NEAR as big as the difference between PS3/360 grfx & wii grfx

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network
Segata Sanshiro said:

Does no one remember Wii Bingo?

http://malstrom.50webs.com/bingo.htm

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports

Best post.

darthdevidem said:

but the difference between the Wii grfx & PS3 grfx is so extreme in some cases that that argument is void

the difference between the PS2, xbox n GC grfx was there, but it's NOWHERE NEAR as big as the difference between PS3/360 grfx & wii grfx

The question isn't whether there is a difference, the question is whether the difference matters to most gamers ... You can go out and buy a Marble chess set which is hand crafted by an artisan and looks amazingly beautiful. For the average player it simply isn't worth the money and adds nothing to the gameplay experience.

The PS3 and XBox 360 offer more realistic graphics but is more realistic graphics better?

Geek/Gamer culture loves poorly drawn poorly dubbed anime and will actively choose it over "Better Looking" movies, do you really think that they will need "Better Graphics" if the content they want is on the Wii?

darthdevidem said:

And a big "So what?" This doesn't prove people will abandon Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Words Of Wisdom said:

1. It's a fair answer even if you don't like it. I know people who don't like Zelda or Mario. If you can't stand Mario, Nintendo's biggest franchise is eliminated. Game over right there. I know you may not understand how some people can hold that opinion but they do. No amount of disbelieving or plugging your ears saying "la-la-la-la" will change that.

2. Um... the premise was that the motion controls wouldn't appeal to everyone. You countered by saying you have alternatives to the motion controls which was irrelevant as having alternatives does not make motion controls themselves more appealing. Now you're countering by saying that the 360/PS3 controls won't do better which is also irrelevant. Whether or not some other controls appeal to people has no bearing on the Nintendo's Wii controls appealing to them. Keep your eye on the subject because none of what you're saying is relevant.

3. Why is my point baseless? Shall I go tell my friends they're figments of my imagination because you don't believe it? Why is it so hard to understand that other folks have different taste in systems/games or prioritize certain features differently?

It's one thing to be a fan of a system, but it's another thing to become closed minded by virtue of that fandom.

Original Post by GrandMaster:

"The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone. Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's. You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen."

Topic of interest by GrandMaster is  "The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone." and concludes with "You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen."

Reasons stated are this: 

A) It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone.

My Counter A) What games do you prefer that led you to this conclusion, where a Wii game does not exist on equivilency?

Your Counter A) I know people who don't like Zelda or Mario. If you can't stand Mario, Nintendo's biggest franchise is eliminated. Game over right there.

My Defense A)  And your statement is just exactly why your opinions are as bad as the OP's.  Your factual statement assumes that because "Mario Kart" is entitled "Mario" that everyone who has a biased opinion against Mario will hate Mario Kart.  Maybe true, but by your logic I should assume that anyone who hates Mario kart also hates racing games, which can not honestly be true.  Maybe they hate Mario.  Maybe they've never heard of Diddy Kong.  Maybe they like Diddy Kong Racing (similar setup/feel, more progressive) just because they have not assumed an opinion.

What does plugging your ears and "la-la-la-ing" have to do with anything....?  Seriously?

I have come to the conclusion that you actually do support the right to hate "Mario" just because.  Which means I also come to the conclusion that you can't seem to base your own opinions unless defending others' right to have a different opinion.  Read my statements, not one-sided statements. They are responses, not stand-alone flapping-of-mouth.

B) Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's.

My Counter B) Did you ignore the five different controller setups the Wii has on its own?...According to your logic you should also state that XB and PS have nothing over Wii's controls

Your Counter B) the premise was that the motion controls wouldn't appeal to everyone. You countered by saying you have alternatives to the motion controls which was irrelevant as having alternatives does not make motion controls themselves more appealing...Whether or not some other controls appeal to people has no bearing on the Nintendo's Wii controls appealing to them.

My Defense B)   The premise was that motion control does not work for all genres, and therefore will not appeal to all gamers, let alone all gamers liking motioncontrol over classic control.  My response was that listed above.  Yet, your statement that alternatives over motion-control have no-bearing is actually quite silly.  Why isn't it relevant?  Because Wii's primary feature is motion control?  Does that mean Wii games can not be non-motion control?  Wii games can't possibly use classic controlling schemes?  Therefore Wii is doomed?  Yet I argued, there are plenty of other options.  Why is this beyond imagination.  The controller is sitting there.  Right there.  Try Excite Truck out.  Next to no-motion control.  Back to the OP, Wii-mote does not work for all genres.  What does this have to do with a proven fact (because it's not), when so much evidence is sitting in front of the OP (and now you) that motion control IS NOT REQUIRED.

C) You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii.

My Counter C)  I haven't met a person IN person that doesn't like the Wii. Plenty of people who have no care for any new console, either. But, they love the Wii. Unfortunately online forums tend to wreak of biases and misinformation.

Your Counter C) Why is my point baseless? Shall I go tell my friends they're figments of my imagination because you don't believe it? Why is it so hard to understand that other folks have different taste in systems/games or prioritize certain features differently?

My Defense C)   I know 34,978 people who love the Wii and 23 people hate the Wii.  Obviously my testimonials are proven fact and everyone should listen to me.

(I skipped some redundancy of text). 

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Original Post by GrandMaster:

"The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone. Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's. You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen."

Topic of interest by GrandMaster is "The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone." and concludes with "You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen."

Reasons stated are this:

So far so good.

A) It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone.

My Counter A) What games do you prefer that led you to this conclusion, where a Wii game does not exist on equivilency?

Your Counter A) I know people who don't like Zelda or Mario. If you can't stand Mario, Nintendo's biggest franchise is eliminated. Game over right there.

My Defense A) And your statement is just exactly why your opinions are as bad as the OP's. Your factual statement assumes that because "Mario Kart" is entitled "Mario" that everyone who has a biased opinion against Mario will hate Mario Kart. Maybe true, but by your logic I should assume that anyone who hates Mario kart also hates racing games, which can not honestly be true. Maybe they hate Mario. Maybe they've never heard of Diddy Kong. Maybe they like Diddy Kong Racing (similar setup/feel, more progressive) just because they have not assumed an opinion.

What does plugging your ears and "la-la-la-ing" have to do with anything....? Seriously?

I have come to the conclusion that you actually do support the right to hate "Mario" just because. Which means I also come to the conclusion that you can't seem to base your own opinions unless defending others' right to have a different opinion. Read my statements, not one-sided statements. They are responses, not stand-alone flapping-of-mouth.

Is it really that unfathomable to simply not like the idea of a plump mexican plumber driving a kart or playing golf or soccer or what not?

B) Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's.

My Counter B) Did you ignore the five different controller setups the Wii has on its own?...According to your logic you should also state that XB and PS have nothing over Wii's controls

Your Counter B) the premise was that the motion controls wouldn't appeal to everyone. You countered by saying you have alternatives to the motion controls which was irrelevant as having alternatives does not make motion controls themselves more appealing...Whether or not some other controls appeal to people has no bearing on the Nintendo's Wii controls appealing to them.

My Defense B) The premise was that motion control does not work for all genres, and therefore will not appeal to all gamers, let alone all gamers liking motioncontrol over classic control. My response was that listed above. Yet, your statement that alternatives over motion-control have no-bearing is actually quite silly. Why isn't it relevant? Because Wii's primary feature is motion control? Does that mean Wii games can not be non-motion control? Wii games can't possibly use classic controlling schemes? Therefore Wii is doomed? Yet I argued, there are plenty of other options. Why is this beyond imagination. The controller is sitting there. Right there. Try Excite Truck out. Next to no-motion control. Back to the OP, Wii-mote does not work for all genres. What does this have to do with a proven fact (because it's not), when so much evidence is sitting in front of the OP (and now you) that motion control IS NOT REQUIRED.

This is the one I love.

He says motion controls aren't for everyone/every game.

You say the equivalent of "Well duh, don't use motion controls. Use XYZ control setup. Look at ABC game that doesn't use them."

You just agreed with him and don't want to admit it.

C) You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii.

My Counter C) I haven't met a person IN person that doesn't like the Wii. Plenty of people who have no care for any new console, either. But, they love the Wii. Unfortunately online forums tend to wreak of biases and misinformation.

Your Counter C) I know people who don't like the Wii. Some prefer the HD graphics of the PS3 and the online action of xbox Live. Others just don't like Nintendo games. Not everyone likes the Wii. ~ Fixed.

My Defense C) I know 34,978 people who love the Wii and 23 people hate the Wii. Obviously my testimonials are proven fact and everyone should listen to me.

You say you met no one that disliked the Wii.

I say I have.

This point really should have died at that point. Now it's like an undead zombie: smelly, ugly, and staggering about trying to consume people's brains. ^_^