By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More Nintendo Wii Bashing From CNET

elendar said:
johnlucas said:
jhlennon1 said:

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/10132007/15/more_nintendo_wii_bashing_from_cnet

"Listen, we all know the Wii is selling well, but that doesn't mean people are actually playing the console," he writes.

"Sorry to say, graphics still matter, and because it is lacking, some walk into a room, play with it for an hour, tell everyone how fun it is, and go back to their PS3 to marvel at the look of a game," Reisinger theorizes.

But "if people decide to buy it because it looks nice at a friend's house and proceed to play it until they get bored with it, where are the opportunities for third-party developers to make money?"

This writer is gonna have a heart attack once Wii proves graphics DON'T matter. The graphics were fine last generation. Get to the gameplay, suckas.

Nobody's having PS3 parties with ma and grandma.

Opportunities for 3rd parties? The vast vast VAST marketshare Nintendo has and will have. Where there's money to be made the opportunity will be taken.

John Lucas

The graphics were fine last generation if you owned a standard tv. Sorry, but on my HD TV I enjoy HD graphics. I personally plan on purchasing a wii but not for the games honestly. I'm really interested in Wii Fit and the party games to play with friends. Will I purchase super mario galaxy and other AAA titles? Possibly but to me when I do purchase a wii it will be more for the perks. In a sense the guy who you declare is just wrong "gonna have a heart attack" is describing the reason I would purchase a wii.

The graphics were fine last generation even on my HD projector I already had.  My NES is still fine on the HDprojector I still have.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network

^I agree, I own a HD TV and enjoy DVD, Wii and PS2.

So i couldn't manage to duplicate the source charts for the previous software sales posting, but I did find this...

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39362

Evaluate each week and you find this data:

Weekly
Wii / XBox360

7th Oct: 164,274 / 186,959
30th Sep: 194,039 / 205,019
23rd Sep: 192,701 / 145,343
16th Sep: 202,727 / 129,352
9th Sep: 231,604 / 118,827
2nd Sep: 256,269 / 128,995
26th Aug: 247,088 / 118,164

the 7 oct one isnt correct cause the japanese data ain't added.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

grandmaster192 said:
The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone. Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's. You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen.

"It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone." - What games do you prefer that led you to this conclusion, where a Wii game does not exist on equivilency?

"Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's." - Did you ignore the five different controller setups the Wii has on its own? Classic controller? Just the Wiimote? +joystick? GC controller? Interesting statement you've made pretty much backfires in to the face of any other console. According to your logic you should also state that XB and PS have nothing over Wii's controls - but apparently that doesn't matter, does it?

"You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen." - I haven't met a person IN person that doesn't like the Wii. Plenty of people who have no care for any new console, either. But, they love the Wii. Unfortunately online forums tend to wreak of biases and misinformation.

Around the Network

It's all theory and no substance until PS3 starts outselling Wii (Which will never happen).

just save/printscreen the entire article, and come back to haunt the editor after 1 year

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

facher83 said:

Point 1: "It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone." - What games do you prefer that led you to this conclusion, where a Wii game does not exist on equivilency?

Point 2: "Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's." - Did you ignore the five different controller setups the Wii has on its own? Classic controller? Just the Wiimote? +joystick? GC controller? Interesting statement you've made pretty much backfires in to the face of any other console. According to your logic you should also state that XB and PS have nothing over Wii's controls - but apparently that doesn't matter, does it?

Point 3: "You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen." - I haven't met a person IN person that doesn't like the Wii. Plenty of people who have no care for any new console, either. But, they love the Wii. Unfortunately online forums tend to wreak of biases and misinformation.

Point 1: If the player does not enjoy Nintendo games, the appeal of a Wii just disappeared for the most part. Furthermore, there are some genres such as Online Multiplayer FPS that are not well represented on the Wii; at very least not as well represented as on the 360 or PC.

Point 2: Being able to using a classic controller or a gamecube controller does not make the Wii's motion controls any better. It means that if you don't like them you don't have to use them. Your statements do nothing to contradict what he said.

Point 3: I know people who don't like the Wii. Some prefer the HD graphics of the PS3 and the online action of xbox Live. Others just don't like Nintendo games. Not everyone likes the Wii.

Look, I disagree with grandmaster 192 as well, but if you're going to attack his points, at least do so intelligently.

Words Of Wisdom said:

Point 1: If the player does not enjoy Nintendo games, the appeal of a Wii just disappeared for the most part. Furthermore, there are some genres such as Online Multiplayer FPS that are not well represented on the Wii; at very least not as well represented as on the 360 or PC.

Point 2: Being able to using a classic controller or a gamecube controller does not make the Wii's motion controls any better. It means that if you don't like them you don't have to use them. Your statements do nothing to contradict what he said.

Point 3: I know people who don't like the Wii. Some prefer the HD graphics of the PS3 and the online action of xbox Live. Others just don't like Nintendo games. Not everyone likes the Wii.

Look, I disagree with grandmaster 192 as well, but if you're going to attack his points, at least do so intelligently.

Point 1: "If the player does not enjoy Nintendo games" is a blatantly stereotypical answer from a lot of people.  It's just about as bad as (actually it is as bad) when people state that they hate EA games.  Have they played all EA games?  Probably not.  Sim City is not in the same league as their golf games, or Burn Out, or The Sims...  your counter is more horrid.

Point 2:  "Being able to using a classic controller or a gamecube controller does not make the Wii's motion controls any better."  - This statement does not re-inforce any notion that PS3 or XBox2 will do so much better because no motion control exists.  What makes PS3 controllers so much better?  Because they don't have motion control?  Laughable reasoning.

Point 3:  "I know people who don't like the Wii. Some prefer the HD graphics of the PS3 and the online action of xbox Live. Others just don't like Nintendo games. Not everyone likes the Wii."  I know these people who say this and that.  Your point is exactly why I said mine, because it's completely base-less, just as the previous posting.  There are plenty of online computer games that don't make the others any better than any other console or machine.

Perhaps going back to the original quotes will lend better explanations as to what I said and why.  Without looking at it too much, Point 2 on your case is...   silly.  Go back to the reference that Wii won't work well for all genres, and realize what you just said, and what I tried to point out.

grandmaster192 said:
The Nintendo Wii, unlike the Playstation 2, is not for everyone. It doesn't have a lot of games that are enjoyable to everyone. Furthermore, motion controls are not going to be liked by every gamer, and that's because the Wii-mote does not work for all genre's. You guys shouldn't fool yourselfs into thinking that everyone is going to love the Wii. It just isn't going to happen.

Explain to me why you make such silly arguments

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)