By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 Reasons Why FF: Crystal Chronicles > Main Series

You forgot the ultimate reason: Because It Is On The Wii!!!!!

(Capitalized for sheer importance and awesomeness.)

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
The one I played on the GameCube was the worst Final Fantasy I've ever played, absolute trash. No one would of cared if it wasn't a Final Fantasy game.

The new one looks better on the Wii though, but I'm certainly anticipating XIII more. Non of your points make much sense.

Crystal Chronicles was garbage. I disliked most everything about it.  The game is like Tactics and Spirits Within, it just shouldn't have inherited the Final Fantasy name.

If I want similar gameplay I'll go replay Seiken Densetsu II or III.

I am a nintendo fan and I really support nintendo in everything but the main series are way better than CC, for the turn based battle sistem

just reading the title make me laugh hard.

how dare someone compare FINAL FANTASY with that other 'thing' that is just lucky to have final fantasy in the name? :/ meh..

I'm one of the few that are prefering the CC series over the main one. But I do agree that the points listed are not convincing.

To me it's a matter of personal taste. I started hating the series ever since FFX becfause I didn't like the direction it was headed. While a good game it has become the biggest dissapointment in what I was expecting from a FF game. and the series has become a letdown since (not FFXI and FFIV since they are online and I am not into MMORPGs so I cannot judge them). FFXIII is in that same path even though the game is different from FFX/X-2 and FFXII, the essence is the same only presented differently.

The Crystal Chronicles side franchise was born for two reasons: one was to give Nintendo systems some support and they used the FF name to give it some push in sales (and to calm down the rumored anger that Yamaguchi had for being "betrayed"), and the other reason was to explore concepts that were rejected from the main series for being "out of focus". the First FFCC game for the gamecube is a gem that can only be fully enjoyed with friends and having more than one GBA, which made it hard to enjoy because it was multiplayer focused. The single player experience was not something gamers expected from a FF game and it was hated by many (a simmilar hate to the one I have for FFX so I understand it).

I also agree that it should not have the FF name, but it's because it's not needed anymore. The series has grown nicely and is starting to have some legs on its own. Many gamers like me only refer the series as the CC.

The Crystal Chronicles series has something that the main one doesn't and I really like: the freedom in design and development. Looking at the concepts used so far:

• Multiplayer played with a portable device as your interface (CC on gamecube, a remake on Wii with DS connectivity may not be a bad idea)
  • No turn based battles
  • Local wireless multiplayer
  • Online multiplayer with anyone anywhere
  • Resourse management
  • "Defense Strategy" could that be a tower defense?I dunno
  • Single player storyline
  • object manipulation

it showed the wide spectrum the series can explore and evolve, it does not have the contraints the main series currently has.

Around the Network

1. Turn Based Battles Are Overrated

2. A story isn't really neccesary to make a great game. Now I know, I know, the story is one of the main atractions of the main FF series, but man, I don't remember the story of FF3 DS. And I beat that game. But I sure do remember the battles, and the monsters. Its the little things that count. But I want to play a game not read it you know.

3. Main Series No Longer Exclusive

4. Final Fantasy:CC Has Multiplayer

5. Final Fantasy: CC Innovates

1. This is style of play. While i'm tired of the classic turn based combat some people really love it.  What I want to see is combat stay turned based, but become invisible. So that the game feels like action, looks like action, but has things like cinematic slow downs timed at the right spots to give it a awesome movie action feel. That way people of both worlds can have what they want.
2. I like story. This just striked me as an opinion/perspective. 
3. I don't see the relevance on how it's better? how does exclusivity make the game more/less good? (listens to crickets) it doesn't? I don'e see the relevance.
4. I never heard of this.
5. Nothing in FFCC hasn't been done in some different game. FFCC just merges different apsects to create something different. I'm looking forward to it.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

theARTIST0017 said:
sc94597 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:
Well, the main series doesn't innovate on terms of Wii series or anything like that, but tell you can't really tell me that FFXII didn't innovate. What game has a similar battle system?

That is quite true, but you have to note that it wasn't an innovation that stuck. FFXIII went back to refinement, and it definately not wasn't on FFXII's system.  It also made the game worst for me(an example of innovation not always being pleasing), but I don't want to turn this thread into an FFXII rant. Either way, you can say the same thing for Crystal Bearers. You can't say there is a game that plays like that either.

I wasn't going to say but Star Wars: The Force Unleashed comes to mind. Oh well TCB is better anyways.

That isn't the focus of the gameplay though. You have a lightsaber as well.  In TCB your only weapon is manipulation of your enemies(or some other object). Not only that, but you could also use your enemies abilities to attack others. So while you are manipulating matter, it isn't the same exact experience. It is along of the lines of saying any game that uses a sword to fight isn't innovative because you are using a sword.

dang I didn't even know that.  I learn something new everyday. So then, that means Layle can't learn spells and stuff? Fine with me. (thats another innnovative thing in TCB)

Removing features and gameplay opportunities..... The pinnacle of innovation!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
theARTIST0017 said:
sc94597 said:
theARTIST0017 said:
sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:
Well, the main series doesn't innovate on terms of Wii series or anything like that, but tell you can't really tell me that FFXII didn't innovate. What game has a similar battle system?

That is quite true, but you have to note that it wasn't an innovation that stuck. FFXIII went back to refinement, and it definately not wasn't on FFXII's system.  It also made the game worst for me(an example of innovation not always being pleasing), but I don't want to turn this thread into an FFXII rant. Either way, you can say the same thing for Crystal Bearers. You can't say there is a game that plays like that either.

I wasn't going to say but Star Wars: The Force Unleashed comes to mind. Oh well TCB is better anyways.

That isn't the focus of the gameplay though. You have a lightsaber as well.  In TCB your only weapon is manipulation of your enemies(or some other object). Not only that, but you could also use your enemies abilities to attack others. So while you are manipulating matter, it isn't the same exact experience. It is along of the lines of saying any game that uses a sword to fight isn't innovative because you are using a sword.

dang I didn't even know that.  I learn something new everyday. So then, that means Layle can't learn spells and stuff? Fine with me. (thats another innnovative thing in TCB)

Removing features and gameplay opportunities..... The pinnacle of innovation!

Sometimes keeping things simple are much better

I agree with his contention that being multiplat cheapens it, though. Not necessarily because of anything technical, but multiplat games just feel so commercial (and i know all games are commercial, don't get me wrong. But multiplats moreso than exclusives). It also shows a lack of confidence in Square, that they think their game has to be multiplat in order to recoup their investment

I've always hated the rapid rise of multiplatform development, though, and not because Wii often gets excluded from the lot. Days were better when the best games across all the consoles were exclusives, and the only multiplatform stuff was 2nd tier or so.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I also think Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is a better series than the mainline series. But Crystal Bearers seems to be going more in the direction of the mainline series and because of that, I have no interest in the game.

The previous Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle games were all heavenly, in my opinion. Even the Game Boy Advance connectivity for the Gamecube version was done well and obviously thought out...

...as the flaw was money and not game play related.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000