By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5’s “Head Tracking” Explained - Amazing fearure!

kowenicki said:
@vetteman...

thats daft... i'll just push my left thumb over thanks.

moving your head to the rigfht sliughly and keeping your eyes on the screen and at the same time the camera moves right... I'll puke! lol or get eye strain.

It can be confusing at first and it takes time getting used to it.  For a racing sim is a bit of overkill, but for a flight sim is miles better than pan your view with the hat on the stick.  It definitely works better than buttons.

Around the Network

Eye tracking would track in much finer detail, and wouldn't require you to look off screen because the center would constantly be moving to the location of your eye's focus.

I just don't see this working, especially given the EyeToy's terrible accuracy dealing with colors and light as it is.

@Jaaau!
The EyeToy doesn't use Infrared technology as far as I knew. It is merely a simple 2D tracking camera with a microphone. The only way it can even track 3D space is by guessing that a "bigger" object in relative to it's location means it is moving closer, which is true, but with very weak color detection and lighting needing to be perfect, I don't see it working all that well. That's why Sony Motion REQUIRES those light balls on the end because without those, it couldn't track the things worth spit.

Definitive.

Why not? I know that before i have actually tried looking round the corner of the screen... for some odd reason. Now i have a reason for doing so.

That feature is amazing.

kowenicki said:
@carl

so you see yourself using head tracking... as shown in the vid?

He's just mocking Turn 10.  What GT fanboy isn't, these days?

I can almost guarantee this will work like crap and you may use it once to try it then never use it again.  The EyeToy just doesn't work well without some big bright light to track, so if you are like the average adult and plays video games later in the evening in dimmer lighting, you're screwed.

Around the Network

Maybe... we wont know until we see it fully ourselves.

I know that i want to give it a try though, GT5 is looking to have a TON of features.

kowenicki said:
@carl... so you will have led's stuck to your head and turn your head... theus crashing your car.

You dont turn your head. You lean to the side and keep your eyes on the television... dont you?

What about ones that wear glasses? I wear contacts, but when i'm home i usually switch to my glasses, and trying the moves i saw in the IR Tracking video, i have to look beyond my glasses on the sides, which makes the image blurry...

It'll take some getting used to, but even from the Racing demo on the Youtube Tracking video, i'm not looking forward to using head tracking, it doesn't look natural, and could be more of a bother (esp zooming into the dashboard) or distraction than a benefit.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Meh, to me it sounds like a good idea.

We will have to wait until TGS probably, to see how the feature fully works.

All i know is, its a cool add on to GT5's already awesome feature list.

nightsurge said:
Eye tracking would track in much finer detail, and wouldn't require you to look off screen because the center would constantly be moving to the location of your eye's focus.

I just don't see this working, especially given the EyeToy's terrible accuracy dealing with colors and light as it is.

@Jaaau!
The EyeToy doesn't use Infrared technology as far as I knew. It is merely a simple 2D tracking camera with a microphone. The only way it can even track 3D space is by guessing that a "bigger" object in relative to it's location means it is moving closer, which is true, but with very weak color detection and lighting needing to be perfect, I don't see it working all that well. That's why Sony Motion REQUIRES those light balls on the end because without those, it couldn't track the things worth spit.

To be honest I don't know if the pseye is able to do tracking like track ir does from the technology side.  You say it can't and PD says they will track your head using the pseye.  Time will tell. :)