By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your personal top consoles of all time!

321tttrini4everz said:

1) PS3
1) PS1
1) PS2
1) PSP
1) GBA
2) NES

Lol ! That is not supporting a brand.... this is total worship !

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

1. PS2
2. PS1
3. SNES
4. PS3 and Gamecube (tie)
5. Sega Saturn

1. PS2
2. PS1
3. SNES
4. PS3
5. NES
6. X360
7. Wii
8. XBOX
9. DC
10. GC
11. N64

1. GB (all iterations: GB, GBC, PGB)
2. DS
3. PSP
4. GBA

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Senlis said:
I ask this of every poster who posts a top ten list. Are you basing your list on:

1) Which consoles were the most original, innovative and important to the industry. -or-
2) Which consoles had the best hardware, capabilities and most refined games.

If you go with #1, than NES was more original, innovative and important to the industry than PS1.
Same thing with N64. It did more for 3D gaming than either PS1 or PS2.

I personally don't give a crap about 'innovation'. I care about whether I had fun. If I base it on having fun then PS2 beats the crap out of everything.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
Senlis said:
I ask this of every poster who posts a top ten list. Are you basing your list on:

1) Which consoles were the most original, innovative and important to the industry. -or-
2) Which consoles had the best hardware, capabilities and most refined games.

If you go with #1, than NES was more original, innovative and important to the industry than PS1.
Same thing with N64. It did more for 3D gaming than either PS1 or PS2.

I personally don't give a crap about 'innovation'. I care about whether I had fun. If I base it on having fun then PS2 beats the crap out of everything.

'fun' is comprised of many things, including how fresh/original/innovative the console and games are.  I would say the NES was more fun than the PS2 at time of release.  However, according to #2, the PS2 is better.

Around the Network

Based on ownership and enjoyment for me personally:

1. Xbox 360
2. Megadrive
3. Gamecube
4. PS2
5. SNES

Apologies but I was a Sega fanboy hence the SNES below Megadrive. 360 on top because I love FPS games. The PS3 hasn't had much gaming time from me due to the fact I buy multiplats on 360 and my Wii didn't make the list because I can't be bothered playing it anymore (my loss I guess). PS2 made the list for the hours spent on Guitar Hero 1 and 2. Gamecube gave me many hours fun last gen and was the first console I bought from that generation.

This first list only consists of consoles I own. It is based on the amount of fun I had with the games.

1. SNES - The first console I owned, although not the first I played. So many great classic games.

2. N64 - First time I thought 3D was done right. Another console filled with great classic games.

3. Wii - I really like this console so far. Only time will tell if it passes the SNES and N64 in my eyes. Considering how much my library needs to grow, it certainly has a shot.

4. GameCube - A lot of really fun games. I own 37, which is more than for any other console I own. Unlike the SNES and N64 though, I don't think that many of these games feel like they could be timeless classics.

5. GameBoy Advance (SP) - I prefer consoles over handhelds. I really liked the few games I had for this system, and it played my old GameBoy games as well.

6. DS (Lite) - A cool little handheld. I still need to pick up some more games for it though.

7. GameBoy (Color) - I spent hours and hours with Pokemon, but that was about it.

8. NES - I just got a NES for free a few months ago. I haven't played it much.  I didn't get to play it much with friends either.  I got to experience the classic Mario games in Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES anyway.

This second list will include all the consoles I have spent time with.  It is also based on personal experience with the games.

1. SNES
2. N64
3. Wii
4. Gamecube

5. Xbox - I had a lot of fun playing Halo and Halo 2 in college.

6. Xbox 360 - I'm not in college anymore, so it is a lot harder to set up a game with friends.  Online just isn't as fun, especially with strangers.

7. PS2 - Not much to say.  I thought the games I played were OK.

8. Atari 2600 - Lots of fun at Grandma's house with this console.

9. GameBoy Advance (SP)
10. DS (Lite)
11. GameBoy (Color)
12. NES

13. PS1 - I don't remember what games I played, but they were not fun.  Oh, and the load times.  Just awful.

Again, those lists were based on personal experience.  If I was going to make a list of the "Best Consoles" it would look a lot different.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

1. SNES
2. Xbox 360
3. NES
4. PS2
5. Xbox
6. Nintendo DS
6. Atari 2600
7. Game Boy
8. PS1
9. Genesis
10. Wii

This list is purely based on how much fun I've had with console X! Not which is most important or innovative etc.

As far as most important consoles of all time, it would go like this:

1. NES - Saved console gaming from the crash
2. 2600 - Put console gaming on the map to begin with
3. SNES - The controller really set the base for what contollers are to this day. Defined how we interface with games.
4. PS1 - Got CD gaming into the mainstream, really popularized 3D gaming.
5. Xbox - Harddrives in consoles, Xbox live.
6. Dreamcast - Online gaming, MS may never have had the idea for Live without this.
7. Game Boy - Games on the go? Preposterous! and brilliant!
8. PS2 - Brought so many new gamers into our fold.
9. Genesis - Has some great games in it's own right, gave Nintendo competition to push the industry forward.
10. Magnavox Odyssey - The original father of consoles.

meh I would start a list if I had more consoles though I don't understand how people put older consoles so high

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
meh I would start a list if I had more consoles though I don't understand how people put older consoles so high

That is what I have been saying.  You have to chose if you are making a top ten list based on how much fun they were to play during their lifecycle or how much fun they are to play today.  A list of the later wouldn't make much sense because most of the consoles on this list would be from this generation or the last.