By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pachter: Wii PRICE CUT to $199 no later than November!!

"think" "should" blablabla

Must be awesome to be an analist and hedge everything you say just in case you are wrong. Friggin' Pachter idiot.

Around the Network

Patcher should start predicting in verse.

The city lion will shed his fur for the winter,
attracting millions of us.
the board will rise to great heights, on the eve of the drop.

theprof00 said:
Now, I'm not a professional analyst like Patcher is, but I think a price drop in November could be a huge mistake.
If it does well, there could be huge shortages all around, and it could lead to a loss for the quarter if their parts haven't dropped at all in price. It's possible that the Wii is already at a very cheap price for them, as they've pretty much already hit their economy of scale and are meanwhile using older hardware. As proof I'll remind you of when the Japanese Yen was really strong. At that point Nintendo said it was losing I think 20-30$ on each wii. At a 15-20% increase on the yen, that means they were making probably 10-15$ on each wii sold, and I think that is backed up in several places.

Now, if the wii has been only making 10-15$ nearly 45M units into the lifecycle, and have also been making a profit since the beginning, then it means that the wii has only dropped maybe 10 dollars in parts pricing over that much time, reinforcing the idea that the hardware is older and already very mainstream.

A better idea would be to drop the price in feb or march to keep up sales after the holidays and at the same time, supplement the loss with the holiday sales. It also helps that there are some good wii games coming out in 2010 as well.

I'm not really sure how shortages could happen.

If Nintendo is still producing on last year rythm ( and why shoudn't they based on their prediction) they now have a huge stock of unsold Wii based on sales so far this year...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

@Pachter:
Mr. Obvious strikes again... I still keep on believing Wii doesn't need a cut yet, but it's quite logic that if they really do it, they must time it correctly to fully exploit next Xmas season. I shudder trying to figure which undescribable horrible secret Pachter knows about his employers to keep his job.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Jumpin said:
When is Pachter ever right? Why is he ever quoted?
Looks like he is today. PRAISE THE LORD, BUY A LOTTO TICKET, ASK YOUR CRUSH OUT ON A DATE, GET LAID BECAUSE THE WORLD IS GOING TO END.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Wii price cut? I thought it printed money

I think NSMB to NSMB Wii will more like Mario Kart DS to Mario Kart Wii.

Animal Crossing never has been a big franchise on consoles to begin with, whereas Mario always has been, and NSMB Wii on the Wii has all new levels (like Mario Kart Wii has new courses), and the addition of a major new feature -- multiplayer, like MK Wii brought the easy accessibility of the Wii Wheel to the table.

In terms of the game experience, I think the addition of the 4-player multi is actually bigger than adding the Wii Wheel to Mario Kart or anything they added to Animal Crossing. It will be a big deal and it changes the game a lot. Playing multiplayer Little Big Planet to me is a huge difference from just the 1-player game, I have no doubt it will be the same deal for Mario. 

NSMB like Mario Kart Wii I think is going to be the perfect "bridge" game ... a game core gamers and casuals can enjoy together, much like Mario Kart Wii.

$199.99 Wii + New Super Mario Bros. Wii = massive sales. 

You know im realy pissed now. I wanted to keep waiting for Nintendo shares but if this is correct i might just catch the christmas bump if i buy now, maybe.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

if it happens on 27th september theres still a week left of NPD tracking

can you imagine the meltdowns if wii beats PS3 next month :O:O:O

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Soriku said:
woopah said:
if it happens on 27th september theres still a week left of NPD tracking

can you imagine the meltdowns if wii beats PS3 next month :O:O:O

Still doubt it since it's only 3 days, but who knows.

Would be funny if it did happen though :P

stop dreaming :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !