By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario games without Mario?

Well there's no denying most Mario games sell easier because of the name.

But it can only go far before it would pull a Sonic or Crash.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I think Mario Sunshine was A GREAT GAME. The only problem with Sunshine was that it wasn't 1000 times better than Mario 64, and usually, any Mario game is 1000 times better than the one that came before it. Look at the ridiculous evolutions and revolutions between SMB1, SMB3, SMW, and M64. Galaxy is the next one. Games like Sunshine and New SMB don't fit in there, even though they're great. I really love the Super Mario Lands too.

I think a game is great no matter who's in it. Mario's games are the best, and Nintendo just knows when to use him. Pikmin was an amazing game, but it wasn't Mario-ish enough, so they took him out and threw in Olimar. I read that they were working on water effects for a new Zelda game when they decided to turn it into Wave Race instead. Whenever Nintendo makes a new effect or engine or has a new idea, they will throw in every character they've ever had and some new ones until they decide that something works as a fluid cohesive package. I think it's a pretty solid strategy.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

azzer100 said:
Ive been looking forward to mario galaxy for what seems like ages now but recently ive been wondering are mario games inherently overrated?

Thinking of Mario Galaxy for instance, it wouldnt have had nowhere near the same level of hype if it where the same game with a completely different character and im betting maybe a slightly less score as well.

Would People have given super mario kart a second look without Mario? Super mario world? Mario 64 even?

Plz ppl dont accuse me of trolling or being a fanboy cuz I LOVE Mario. Just look at my sig. Im wii60 if anything.

a few months ago the only games with Mario in i had played were Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart:DD....i had played a number of platformers before (namely a Jak and Daxter[though not for very long] game, a ratchet game and *spit* a Spyro game) but none had interested me in any way, but after seeing some of the videos and hearing how it worked i was becoming interested in this game.

after seeing/reading more about the game and also downloading SM64 i am really looking forward to it, Mario as a character hadn't even come into it for me before downloading SM64, yet i was still very compelled to get it...and after SM64 this became my No1 anticipated game even though i have little history with Mario platformers

Mario isn't that much of a factor for my 100% definate purchase of Super Mario Galaxy.

Am I the only one here whose favorite Kart is Double Dash?

Here's my list of Kart games by order of preference:

Double Dash!!>Mario Kart DS>Mario Kart 64>Arcade GP 2>Arcade GP>Super Mario Kart>Super Circuit

Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.

I think Mario sure is a factor in the games, but not that important. He probably has the highest impact when it comes to sales; I don't think that Galaxy would sell as much as it will if it were a new IP.

On the other hand, scores would probably even be higher if it hadn't Mario in it because some reviewers would complain that it does not offer enough new things.

Hype would probably be more or less the same I think, it would just be a different kind of hype. Now it is very nostalgic, people think back at their experience with SM64.

What Rubang B says is very good I think btw, people were only disappointed by Sunshine because it did not make those steps forward that the other games did.

And concerning Mario Kart, I think the order goes: MK DS>MK DD>MK64>MK SC>SMK (I have to say that I didn't have this, I only played the tracks in Super Circuit.

But this is very difficult because all the four games I actually owned gave me a great time. I put Super Circuit last because I think this game works better in real 3D. I put DS first because it is technically way superior over 64 which was on a comparable console. Then again, 64 gave me much better multiplayer memories than DD (we prefered Tennis in the Cube's era) so it is really difficult.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

Luigi's mansion is a mario game without mario.

mM
leo-j said:

Luigis mansion was even shorter than Heavenly Sword.

leo-j said:

Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land.  And then the rest of the Wario Land games.

In the same vein, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, but that had a baby Mario in it.  But both games were letting their title characters branch off on their own by naming it a sequel to a Mario game.  He's a springboard for the success of all his homies.

And yeah, out of nowhere came Luigi's Mansion and Super Princess Peach!

Mine went

MK(Snes) > Arcade Game > N64 * > DD.

The * being that N64 had the best Battle Mode in my opinion... and to be fair i've probably spent 80% of my Mario Kart time in battlemode.

The blocks track was the best.

Ooh, good point. In that case, racing-wise my top 3 are Double Dash, DS, and 64, and battle-wise my top 3 are MK64, Double Dash (8 player LAN battles in Luigi's Mansion!), and MKDS.

I can't wait for online battle mode in the new Wii version!

I remember being 9 years old and getting Super Maro Kart 'cuz OMG ALL THE MARIO CHARACTERS IN ONE GAME OH SHIT!!! But I keep coming back 'cuz it's just one of the best racing games ever. Everybody wants a piece now. We got Bomberman Kart, Shrek Smash 'n' Crash Racing, Sonic Riders, Crash Nitro Kart, and even a kart minigame in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. They're all horrible. I love Bomberman and some Mortal Kombat. What the hell are these people thinking? Mario Karts aren't better because of Mario. Mario sucked me in the first time, but I keep coming back because there's seriously no other option.