By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Wii would be great if it had a hard drive and HD support."

He says ASH has hideous Graphics? Stopped caring what he said.

Around the Network

http://www.irwebcasting.com/071010/53/f078bbc3f8/main/index_hi.htm

Porridge= Something like oatmeal.

Speaking of Porridge a lot of modern rice cookers have a setting to make it and instructions to cook it. Why this is related I dunno but porridge is pretty good..

He states that the real "loser" in the matter of Monster Hunter 3 being Wii exclusive is the Xbox360?

I guess the writer is a MS fanboy. First, he is surprised that a great "Western" game like Halo 3 isn't selling well in Japan. Now, Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii also means Xbox 360 won't get FFXIII?

WTF?

Porridge

There you go.

Around the Network
tk1989 said:
If it had these things then it wouldnt be the wii, we would be looking at another gamecube and nintendo would be losing money

If we were looking at another Gamecube, Nintendo would be making money.  They made quite a bit of money on the `cube, you know.

I think the reason some people are upset is that Nintendo refuses to attempt the loss-leader hardware strategy that Sony and MS have.  Wii hardware is sold at a profit, not a loss, so those who want HD graphics and a hard drive feel that Nintendo could have incorporated these features into the Wii and sold it at a loss.  The trouble is, to really compete with the 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics, the cost would be raised too much, and they'd be playing the same game as Sony and MS.

The industry does not have room for three loss-leaders.  Nintendo hasn't "set us back" a generation, they just realized where the other two were headed, and chose to take a fork in the road instead.

RolStoppable said:

Alright, oatmeal. Not sure what this is either.

Typed in Porridge in a translator and it turns out that it's "Brei". I really expected much more from Bod than to use something simple like Kladderpampe for his example.

Haferschleim, Rol. Haferschleim.

Kladderpampe? 

RolStoppable said:
Louie said:

Haferschleim, Rol. Haferschleim.

Kladderpampe?

I blame dictionary.com.

You are right, it's Haferschleim.

I think Kladderpampe is a cool word, no?

"Kladderpampe" is German? Way :D 

Including HDD and HD support would cause Nintendo to do one of these things:

1) Increase price
2) Exclude other things (pack-in game, decrease/extract flash memory,etc)
3) Pay the difference itself, thus taking losses (unlikely for a company like Nintendo)

But IMO the biggest problem would be that games themselves would be more expensive to develop (as increase in resolution costs greatly unless it would be just upscaled signal) and would raise expectations.

"Wouldn't it be great if the Wii had a hard drive and HD Support?" That's how it all starts ...

If Nintendo met these requirements people would be saying "Wouldn't it be great if the Wii was as powerful as the XBox 360 and PS3?" which, if satisfied, would lead to "Wouldn't it be great if the Wii had an online service which was as good as XBox Live?" and then finally "Wouldn't it be great if the Wii could play HD movies?" ... When Nintendo met all of those "needs" people would be annoyed at them for producing a $600 console that has no games because they're simply too expensive to develop for a console with a "Gimicky" controller.

As anyone who has ever played a MMORPG can tell you, when a company starts focusing on the infinite needs of the "Hard-Core" audience they lose sight of what is important to the majority and thus destroy what they're producing. The Wii is far from perfect, but it suits the needs of the majority of gamers so it is in a very good position.