By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "The Wii would be great if it had a hard drive and HD support."

Bodhesatva said:

This is one of my pet peeves.

The suggestion that the Wii has "set us back" is absurd. As a PC Gamer with top-of-the-line hardware, I could say the same for the 360 and PS3: the fact that those systems exist mean that less games are going to fully optimize my (more expensive and) more powerful computer.

Why is it that the PS3 and 360's technological advancements are just right, while the Wii is too far behind the times and the PC is only for crazy losers who spend way too much money? I haven't bought into Nintendo's hype -- as this article suggests -- he has bought Microsoft and Sony's spin, because he believes that their graphical advancements are the correct standard, the one which clearly all other choices should be compared to, and thus the PC is too much and the Wii is too little. Here's an analogy:

This guy: "Your porridge is too cold."

Me: "I like my porridge."

This guy: "But it's too cold. You bought in to that porridge even though it's too cold."

Me: "Too cold compared to what? I think it's just fine."

This guy: "Compared to this porridge over here. I'll call it porridge prime."

Me: "Well, aren't porridge prime and my porridge both cold compared to some other porridges?"

This guy: "No, yours is too cold, and all porridges that are hotter than porridge prime are too hot."

That porridge analogy is awesome. LOL

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

The Wii would indeed be much better
if it gained a hard drive, ah what a treasure

Soriku said:
Jack Skellington said:

It would but wouldn't sell as well if they added it from the get-go. Maybe later (hopefully). P.S. Another KH fan . What system you want KH3 to be on?

The console  that i would like it on most

would make fans of wii cheer out and boast

Soriku said:
Jack Skellington said:
Soriku said:
Jack Skellington said:

It would but wouldn't sell as well if they added it from the get-go. Maybe later (hopefully). P.S. Another KH fan . What system you want KH3 to be on?

The console  that i would like it on most

would make fans of wii cheer out and boast

Ah, same with me .

Glad to here that you are on the same boat as me

and hopefully we can enjoy KH3 on wii.

People buy wii because:

1. the wanna have fun
2. playing FPS'es with thumbsticks is dumb
3. people don't care about HDTV's functions. Even when they buy a HDTV they don't buy it because of the resolution gain, they buy it because it's flat and takes less space(i'm talking about Joe average here)

saying that, i see HDD useful only as a pheripherial for ppl who want to have many VC or Wiiware games. And i would prefer it to be in a form of 8-16 gb memstick rather tnan a real HDD which are more fragile

Around the Network

WARNING: Long post ahead!  Multiple quote boxes!  Beware!  :)

Borkachev said:

Come on, you must have a better argument than a slippery slope. Deal with those questions when they arise: for now, all anybody is asking is for a harddrive and HD support.

These two are not like the other things in your list -- they should be standard features at this point for any gaming system, because they enable support for what have become standard features in games. Harddrive caching, downloadable content, demos, standard modern TV resolutions: these aren't just nice little extras anymore, they're features we've (rightly) come to expect.

It's not just a slippery slope, it's the fact that Nintendo has marketed the Wii as a different device than the 360 or PS3. Nintendo is not attempting to compete with Sony or Microsoft on graphics or features, they are offering something completely different. This is what people who want the Wii to have all these things most often fail to realize.

And don't confuse HD graphics with PS3/360 level graphics. Even the PS2 and the original XBOX supported HD resolutions--that's all we ask, but with slightly more universal support to reflect the Wii's supposedly enhanced power. This wouldn't have cost them much.

Maybe that's all you ask, but it's not all most people are asking. Even so, say the Wii supported 720p resolution. Developers might be tempted to support 720p just to put another item on their list of features at the expense of quality. You just can't render the same amount of effects at 720p as you can at 480p -- you need 2.7 times the horsepower for that resolution. Nintendo doesn't want to discriminate between HDTVs and SDTVs, they want developers to target 480p. Put it this way: Your game can use 1x effects or 2.7x effects. If you use 1x effects you can support 720p, and then SDTV owners only get to see 1x effects at 480i. Or your game can use 2.7x effects and then SDTV owners get to see 2.7x effects at 480i, and HDTV owners get to see 2.7x effects at 480p.

I hope I've explained this well enough. Basically, when you're asking for higher resolutions, you are asking for more horsepower.

Loss leading is not a poor strategy. It's a risky strategy, but one that can pay off in spades. Loss leading is what allowed Sony to absolutely clobber the competition (including Nintendo) for the last 2 generations. If the PS1 or 2 had sold at a profit from early on, they would be remembered as minor blips in gaming history. Instead, they were two of the most profitable systems in history over the long term.

The problem is, loss leading is only a good strategy when you're the only one doing it. Note my original post where I said "the market doesn't have room for three loss leaders (paraphrased)." Loss leading is only necessary when you offer a similar product to your competitors, and you must offer it at a loss to compete on price and hope to make back the money on software. Nintendo is not offering a similar product to its competitors. See above paragraphs.

And Sony didn't win the PS1 and PS2 generations because of a loss leading strategy, they won because they had massive developer support. What if Nintendo had tried a loss leading strategy with the Gamecube? Well, the `cube already had a price advantage over the Xbox and the PS2, so if Nintendo had tried that strategy, it would have meant that the Gamecube would have been much more powerful. Would that have been good for Nintendo? Absolutely not! The PS2 was already the weakest system and still sold leaps and bounds over the Xbox or Gamecube, because many other factors were at play.

This is the truth, as I see it: if Nintendo had chosen to lose $50 per system instead of profit $50, the Wii could have had a harddrive, HD support, and a lot more, and cost the same as it does now. Even if they'd chosen to break even, it would be miles beyond what we actually got. As it turns out, it wouldn't have done Nintendo one bit of good, since they couldn't possibly be selling more systems than they are now. But don't tell me it couldn't have been done, or that it would change some magical quality that would turn the Wii into something else.

You basically made my argument for me. Of course it could have been done. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.

MontanaHatchet said:

http://www.concierge.com/tools/currency

About $74.

But, from what I've heard, games and hardware actually cost less in Japan, so you never know.

For the most part, games and consoels in japan cost more than their US counterparts. DS games are about 4400 Yen or so if I remember correctly which roughly goes to about 44 or so dollars. I used to live in japan and bought a few gba and DS games while i was there. 

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

4400 yen = $37. About the cost of a DS game in the States.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I've killed the thread.