By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Whore Showdown Round 4: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune vs Gears of War

Uncharted

Around the Network

Uncharted amazes me to this day, Gears is starting to look outdated. Uncharted with ease.

Although Gears of War 1 was the first current gen game I played in HD and it was one of the most stunning games I had ever seen at the time.

The only way one looks better than the other is if you are a fanboy or if you prefer a different art style over the other. Gears goes for more realistic models and definitely has better textures. Uncharted has more color and better animations, and uses the best Cell Shading I've ever seen.

I'd say Gears wins because I prefer the art style and the higher level of realism it gives over the slightly cartoonish/plastic look of Uncharted.

kiefer23 said:
Carl2291 said:
Awesome choice. I've never played it, so it didn't realy spring to mind.

I was personaly thinking Mass Effect.

Why compare console games two years apart? Especially Resident Evil 5 which is one of the best looking multi-platform games and looks much better then Mass Effect. It's just not as interesting when one is the clear winner.

Resident Evil 5 vs Farcry 2 would be more interesting. Both I belive have the nicest looking multi-platform graphics.

Because Mass Effect (especially on PC) is still a beautiful looking game even today.

Anyway, it doesn't matter that i said Mass Effect, because i agree with the decision of Res5 vs Dead Space

Asmo said:
Zizzla_Rachet said:

but I also must take away from Uncharted for Polygon count per second...Gears of War is pushing way more polygons than Drake's Fourtune is..

Actually, Uncharted's characters have more polygons that Gears's.

Gears of War, Xbox 360, 2006
Wretch - 10,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Boomer - 11,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps
Marcus - 15,000 polygons with diffuse, specular and normal maps

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, PS3, 2007
Main characters - ~20,000-30,000 polygons
Drake - ~30,000 polygons
Pirates - ~12,000-15,000 polygons

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975

Now multiply those polygons by the number of model on screen..and tell me which is pushing more....

Around the Network
Zizzla_Rachet said:

Now multiply those polygons by the number of model on screen..and tell me which is pushing more....

For that there is a very nice technique that devs use that is called LOD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

nightsurge said:
The only way one looks better than the other is if you are a fanboy or if you prefer a different art style over the other. Gears goes for more realistic models and definitely has better textures. Uncharted has more color and better animations, and uses the best Cell Shading I've ever seen.

I'd say Gears wins because I prefer the art style and the higher level of realism it gives over the slightly cartoonish/plastic look of Uncharted.

Because supersoldiers with biceps bigger than their heads is realistic?

tedsteriscool said:
nightsurge said:

Because supersoldiers with biceps bigger than their heads is realistic?

Realistic in their appearance in relation to a real life human.  They look more like real life people than the barbie/plastic look of uncharted is what I'm saying.

Uncharted

But stop comparing it to Gears 2, that a battle it cannot win.

@nightsurge

So Marcus, Dom and Cole all look closer to real human beings than Nathan, Elena and Sully?

uncharted