By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Graphics Whore Showdown Round 4: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune vs Gears of War

I think that Gears of War doesn't attempt photorealism with their character models.

Around the Network

nightsurge said:
Ugh, you people are completely misinterpreting what I am saying. You compare a guy in a suit in real life to a guy in Gears and they look very similar because goes for photo realism. Uncharted has a totally different art style. It has some realism in environments and clothing, but the skin, and facial features, as well as the overall color/design is just a tad cartoonish, plastic, or fake looking.

They are different art styles. I prefer the ones that try for photo realism.

how the hell is gears photo realistic?  its all brown and grey, there is barely any color in that game.  uncharted looks far more realistic in EVERY APSECT!  everything from the water to the buildings to the trees....hell even the trees are grey in gears

uncharted.

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

this is a better comparison this pic is from Uncharted 2

Around the Network

uncharted.

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

Draven26 said:
nightsurge said:
Ugh, you people are completely misinterpreting what I am saying. You compare a guy in a suit in real life to a guy in Gears and they look very similar because goes for photo realism. Uncharted has a totally different art style. It has some realism in environments and clothing, but the skin, and facial features, as well as the overall color/design is just a tad cartoonish, plastic, or fake looking.

They are different art styles. I prefer the ones that try for photo realism.

how the hell is gears photo realistic?  its all brown and grey, there is barely any color in that game.  uncharted looks far more realistic in EVERY APSECT!  everything from the water to the buildings to the trees....hell even the trees are grey in gears

Have you ever seen a war film, or better yet experienced a war on the level that is gears?  They aren't all rosey and colorful.  They are mostly drab, dirty, grey, brown, and green experiences.

Uncharted everything looks too fake/cartoony/plastic.  But for the millionth time that's the art style.  Everyone will have varying opinions on which they think looks better, but that doesn't change what I am trying to say.  Gears looks like it could be a real photo (of a war time area), while Uncharted if you took them into real like they would look like a walking plastic figurine.

Thanks for that comparison shot, even though the one on the right is rather blurry, it shows that Uncharted has very unrealistic features when it comes to skin, hair, eyes.... but mostly skin which no matter how you look at it uncharted looks like a matte plastic barbie doll while Gears looks like it could at least be a realistic human's face, skin appearance.

Also, in Gears, most of the soldiers and civilians are normal size.  It is only Cole and to a lesser extent Dom that have the actual visibly larger than normal arms.  The rest could be the suits.  We don't know enough about he story line.  The suits could be advanced enough to accelerate your motion or to amplify your own movements so you can actually use such a large suit.

AnarchyWest said:

this is a better comparison this pic is from Uncharted 2

This is a vast improvement to the realism of the characters' faces and skin appearance from uncharted one.

so your answer to the post is......

uncharted
and the statement that Gears is more realistic has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read on this site.