By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii external memory support via eSOL

Soriku said:
tabsina said:
DarkNight_DS said:
tabsina said:

Well.. Nintendo has a reputation for denying stuff they are bringing out soon after.. it'd make sense to back up a 'lie' with good reasoning -- and remember, she is leaving nintendo, so its possible she is even out of the loop

EDIT: Alternatively, it's also possible it's still not coming

Except, Smash proves it's coming...

Are we talking about SD card or external HD?

There's SD saving seen in pic one. Pic two is mysterious. It has a blurred out pink box at the bottom. Might be some external storage thing.

could be.. i was thinking of it being an editting tool, but we only know one thing about that box.. its pink

Around the Network

im confused.. where these pics come from?

*~Onna76~* said:
homelesscarl said:
Women never know what's happening... lol j/k

Joke or no joke you deserve a huge punch any way...

I'm happily married and know my wife ALWAYS seems to know what's up. If you can't take a joke, you got a problem.

OT: It is about time we get more space. I'm worried what WiiWare will do to my space...

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

First of all, this is in no proof of USB storage. It's a file system driver which powers SD cards (and likely the internal memory), and a (possibly independent) USB host driver.

Second, this driver apparently supports SDHD cards above 2GiB, which may be the only point addressed in an eventual firmware upgrade, if such an upgrade is all it takes. However, 32GiB SDHD cards have just started to become available, which I'd say is plenty enough for the Wii.

Finally, supporting off-the-shelf SD cards and/or USB pens/disks, for things like storing VC games is more of a philosophical issue than a technical one. Such games can already be backed up to SD cards (and from there to your computer). They are encripted however, to prevent piracy, and probably aren't encripted in the internal memory. It is unlikely that games will ever be stored unencripted in an external storage device, except maybe if it's a Nintendo proprietary solution... maybe. Running games directly from encripted external storage, can lead to much larger game-loading times, so I wouldn't put much faith in that.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Ah, KruzeS explained it best.

Around the Network

did homelesscarl get banned for that "joke" by any chance?

On topic, this sounds pretty cool, i need more memory already! and Wiiware aint even out yet!

Off-topic: You should never insult women, not even in jokes. NEVER.

On-topic: Wait... wasn't this supported already? But is good to see that they can add support for bigger and faster SD cards. Just as I told you, via a firmware upgrade.

Im thick. :/

In english does this mean we'll be able to play VC games straight from the SD card?

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

azzer100 said:
Im thick. :/

In english does this mean we'll be able to play VC games straight from the SD card?
In short simple english, this means yeah it could, but it might not happen anyway. Don't count on it too much, but it is a possability.

homelesscarl got banned for something he said elsewhere.

On-topic: Not sure what this really means, though I'm guessing KruzeS explained things.

I do know that those Smash pics wouldn't prove anything...Wii has always supported saving information either on the Wii's flash memory or an SD card...and by how blocks that Wii has left in that Smash Bros pic, it doesn't suggest any extra internal storage...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )