By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 SALES are Very Disappointing (Just Realized)

Maybe KZ3 will be the one to chart as expected.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

i would have expected it to have surpassed 2 million by now. i guess it just doesnt have the brand name strenth as titles like gears or cod

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

iinglish said:

I felt the same way when i saw Resistance sales-you know what-not to beat a dead horse-we the gamers are to blame.  COD4 is an exception, but when games like uncharted don't sell and Resistance don't sell and Killzone don't sell its because us gamers are buying recycled games like Madden- why is that trash game still selling gazillions of copies-we buy EA junk and let great IP's go by the wayside-heres a news flash look at the final sales figures for Bioshock and then compare that to Madden, damn americans buying junk-Oh and I am an american-i don't buy junk. 

WTF are you talking about?

When compared to other PS3 first party exclusives it is doing good:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Killzone+2+-+PS3®2=All&game2=Uncharted%3A+Drakes+Fortune+-+PS3®3=All&game3=Resistance+2+-+PS3&weeks=60

When compared to multi-platform AAAs it stinks:

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Killzone+2+-+PS3®2=All&game2=Call+of+Duty%3A+World+at+War+-+PS3®3=All&game3=Grand+Theft+Auto+IV+-+PS3&weeks=60

Its all about perspective... If you are comparing it to other Sony exclusive first party stuff, life is good, if you are comparing it with multi-platform AAA games, sales were brutal.

if killzone 2 released in 2006 as a launch title, it would of been the best in it's class.

but it released in 2009 and it feels too much "been there, done that" now.

Around the Network
inverted3reality said:
Making a good game does not mean you'll get good sales. This has been proven time and time again with MANY games that sold very well (I'm not going to list names.) But Killzone 2 is by far the best first person shooter released this generation so far, and that is fact. Killzone 2 is not popular in certain groups of people (young kids, frat boys, etc.) and therefore it does not gain the sales it deserves. It's about brand and word of mouth, the majority of gamers do not care about how good a game is, or how good it looks, they care about whats hip to play, and that right now is CoD.

Please check the hyperbole at the door

It is not a fact that it is the best FPS this gen

Look up fact in the dictionary

The KZ2 marketing was HORRIBLE. Honestly, to the average viewer the game looked exactly like Wanted. There was nothing in the commercial that was original or that stood out. There was no music or original story in the commercial.

Contrast that to the Halo or Gears commercials. They were pure emotion. The music pulled you in. The visuals told a story. The Mad World Gears commercial still makes me excited about the game.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

The demo killed its sales

mM
JEDE3 said:
Slimebeast said:
JEDE3 said:
^ link please

Here you go dude: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2516848

Thanks now I can quote myself owning your numbers. "werekitten - GG doesn't even have 140 people. They have 130. During the time in development they grew to that number. For at least 18 months of KZ2's development a team had to of been working on Liberation. Slimes analysis is awful from the very first number. And let's not forget the DLC KZ:L recieved in mid '07. A full 7 months after release. Then we go 12,000,000/2 = 6,000,000/60 = 100,000.... So hey, Epic uses 100k per person but since Slime, a random guy on a forum who probablly has absolutly no business management skills, says it's 150k per person let's use his numbers instead." "Anyway, Using Epics numbers. 100k per person. And realizing that a team had to have been working on KZ:L for 25 months of KZ2's development time. And knowing that the games preview code was released in Nov and the game looked practically the same at launch and they don't need 100 people just working on polish which KZ2 most likely was in since mid '08...

I'd say at most the game came out to be 40 million.

100 people from start to finish. A little less at some point a little more at others.

4 year development time. Means they started immediatly after KZ and SS.

100k per person per year as per Epic games numbers.

100 people * 4 years * 100,000 = 40 million.

And I'd say these are generous numbers being that I don't really see anywhere near 100 people working on the game at the start or end of the games dev time. Especially the final part of the Dev time. I mean judging by the preview build the game looked practically completed which was released in Nov. I'd say they had a handfull of people sitting on their ass touching it up a tad for a couple of months. And at the begining of the development they didn't even have 120 people working for them and someone had to of been working on KZ:L. These are not conservative as Slime suggests."

I just want to point out at this dutch article were it says when the most stuff of KZ2 was done GG had a team of 200 people....

http://www.volkskrant.nl/multimedia/article1142955.ece/Hollywood_voor_games_aan_de_Herengracht
I should know.. cause I had friends working there at that time..

They even had to buy their own power supply because they were draining a part of Amsterdam empty...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

In 2005, the Amsterdammers had started with 45 man to the first set-up of the continuation. Previous year summer, then the leeuwendeel of the work had be resisted, was the army designers, programmers and driving forces uitgedijd to 200 man. Tell me where these extra 70 people came from and their sources?