By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is a PS3 a good blu-ray player?

CodeJerry said:

Best one for the price. PS3 is losing money selling them.  Ps3 is the only future-proof bluray too. It will be able to handle bluray 2.0 unlike many bluray players on the market right now.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/01/new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.ars

Thank you for the reply, and the link you provided. It was an interesting read, but it was dated from 2008. Do you know how far away blu-ray 2.0 is, or is it already here and I just don't realize it?

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

Around the Network
EntilZha said:
CodeJerry said:

Best one for the price. PS3 is losing money selling them.  Ps3 is the only future-proof bluray too. It will be able to handle bluray 2.0 unlike many bluray players on the market right now.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/01/new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.ars

Thank you for the reply, and the link you provided. It was an interesting read, but it was dated from 2008. Do you know how far away blu-ray 2.0 is, or is it already here and I just don't realize it?

It's already available, it's called BD-Live. It adds a bunch of features but it requires your player to be networked to access them. That's why the PS3 Wi-Fi makes these features easily accessible.

Thanks to everyone for the ultra-fast replies!
If I do decide to get a blu-ray player, it will definitely be in a PS3.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

The PS3 slim is actually a better Blu Ray player than the fat one because Slim adds the ability to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio. Being smaller and using a lot less power are big advantages too...

One question I forgot to ask when I originally wrote this post is, does the PS3 have surround sound output or do I have to run the sound through a receiver of some sort?

NNID = RangerOne

Around the Network
EntilZha said:

One question I forgot to ask when I originally wrote this post is, does the PS3 have surround sound output or do I have to run the sound through a receiver of some sort?

The hdmi cable sends 7.1 surround sound, but I think you'd need a reciever with that. There is also an optical port which puts out 5.1 so all you'd need to do is buy a set of speakers with optical input. Most cheap surround sound speakers are made for PC's so they don't have optical and need a sound card.

The set I have (Logitech Z-5500) has an optical input so I can just plug it directly into my PS3.

Well the is nothing left for me to say lol

Everyone has already said it all

Oh one thing they have not mentioned

Blu rays take age to load up on a standalone player

Theyt are much faster on a PS3

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

its not only one of the best, it is THE BEST blu-ray player right now, it can handle blu-ray 2.0, no other blu-ray can do that so far.

SpartanFX said:
it's the one of the best blu ray players on the market.Beside with PS3 you get access to movie store where you can rent tv shows and movies.(or even buy them)

this. It has more features than any other BD Player around.

4 ≈ One