By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is a PS3 a good blu-ray player?

I have been thinking about getting a blu-ray player for a few months now, and they seem to be priced between $250 - $500. A PS3 is now selling for $299 in my area (Canada) and it contains a blu-ray player. Does the PS3 player lack any special features or extras that a more expensive stand alone player has? Is the player in the PS3 somehow a cheap, or "lite" version of a full player with many features stripped out to reduce the cost? I am just trying to understand why ANYONE would by a stand alone player when for the same price they could have it AND a PS3?

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, always assume you have the upper hand.

NNID = RangerOne

Switch = SW-2393-3671-6907

Around the Network

it's the one of the best blu ray players on the market.Beside with PS3 you get access to movie store where you can rent tv shows and movies.(or even buy them)

Best one for the price. PS3 is losing money selling them.  Ps3 is the only future-proof bluray too. It will be able to handle bluray 2.0 unlike many bluray players on the market right now.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/01/new-nlu-ray-2-0-spec-makes-ps3-the-most-future-proof-player.ars

PS3 Phat (current PS3's) are supposedly the best Blu-Ray players.

I havent played mine for blu-rays, but i can tell you know that getting a ps3 would be most worth it. that way you dont have to spend up to $500 or get a cheap quality $90 one

if ps3 is to big for you, just get a ps3 slim

here is a link to top 10 bluray players and PS3 is one of them

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/guide/171-page-11/10-best-blu-ray-players

Around the Network

Absolutely.  And if you want to buy a stand alone that is comparable in quality, you will be spending at least $300 Dollars.  Only downside of the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player is that you have to buy an adaptor to make it compatible with your universal remote. 

Def one of the best blu-ray players since Sony will always be updating the firmware for it.

Known in the HD scene as one of the best on the marked......not sure about the slim yet.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

IMO get the ps3 for blu ray "it does everything" :D

PS3 is one of the best bluray player since it's upgradeable. One caveat is that the remote is bluetooth not infrared so most universal remotes won't work on it and the IR adapters doesn't control the power on it.