By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter at it again - Speaks about Wii's situation in light of HD prices

“What I actually think is going to happen is Sony’s market share gains are going to come at Nintendo’s expense,” Pachter says. “And Microsoft is going to chug along the way they’ve been with relatively flat sales and I think Microsoft is going to be OK with that.”

“I think what is likely is that Wii sales are going to drop more,” Pachter predicts. “You can’t really justify buying a Wii for $249. You get ‘Wii Sports’ with it but no hard drive, whereas you can get a PS3 with a Blue-ray player and a 120-gig hard drive and built-in Wi-Fi. And you can get an Xbox 360 with a 120-gig hard drive and access to Netflix and Facebook. It just doesn’t make sense to buy a Wii for $50 less.”

Link

----

Seems that he's still waving the flag for the PS3. I think that he forgot to factor in that the Wii has built in Wifi as well, and now with SD card streaming that replaces a need for a HD. Would be interesting to see Nintendo start bundling a 32 GB SD card to be the "fireback" to the HD systems having a HDD inside them.

Personally, I can't see people suddenly jumping to the HD systems, unless they're into M games, which is not the general audience that the Wii sells to anyway. People are expecting too much, though I DO agree that Nintendo should start adding some key elements into their bundles, like WM+ and a SD card.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:

“What I actually think is going to happen is Sony’s market share gains are going to come at Nintendo’s expense,” Pachter says. “And Microsoft is going to chug along the way they’ve been with relatively flat sales and I think Microsoft is going to be OK with that.”

“I think what is likely is that Wii sales are going to drop more,” Pachter predicts. “You can’t really justify buying a Wii for $249. You get ‘Wii Sports’ with it but no hard drive, whereas you can get a PS3 with a Blue-ray player and a 120-gig hard drive and built-in Wi-Fi. And you can get an Xbox 360 with a 120-gig hard drive and access to Netflix and Facebook. It just doesn’t make sense to buy a Wii for $50 less.”

Link

----

Seems that he's still waving the flag for the PS3. I think that he forgot to factor in that the Wii has built in Wifi as well, and now with SD card streaming that replaces a need for a HD. Would be interesting to see Nintendo start bundling a 32 GB SD card to be the "fireback" to the HD systems having a HDD inside them.

Personally, I can't see people suddenly jumping to the HD systems, unless they're into M games, which is not the general audience that the Wii sells to anyway. People are expecting too much, though I DO agree that Nintendo should start adding some key elements into their bundles, like WM+ and a SD card.

Isn't this the attitude that Nintendo has moved away from with great success?

Well, he could be right. It's not like we've seen the HD twins cannibalizing each other's sales this whole generation so far or anything.

If you like Wii games then it makes sense to buy a Wii for $50 less.

"I want to play Super Mario Galaxy but it doesn't come with a hard drive so no buy" :p

"It just doesn’t make sense to buy a Wii for $50 less."

PS3 and 360 have Wii Sports now do they?

Hard drive, netflix, facebook, BR player? Are these what people buy a GAMES console for?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Pachter continues to ignore the reasons why the Wii is successful.

Oh well... any company who listens to analysts like Pachter deserves to go bankrupt.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

*sigh* This guy has changed his song so many times -_-

Thogh I do agree Nintendo needs a $50-$75 Price cut.

Wrong.

How the hell does an HDD matter now? The Wii sold on motion controls combined with accessible games. Those kind of haven't changed, and Nintendo has been renewing their focus on them.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

He has a point but I think the Wii has a different market.
Only time will tell really.
Nothing stopping Ninty dropping the price either if they feel they have to.