By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xboxist.com - 299$ Elite vs PS3 Showdown

MAFKKA said:
starcraft said:
MAFKKA said:
starcraft said:
MAFKKA said:
Thats original - a metacritic reference. Let it go son. You might feel better.

Oh I own all three, I feel just fine

All junkies feel fine, that dosent mean they are fine.

"I come to VGC to talk about games. Due to recent disturbances to the formerly calm, logical and good-natured decorum of the VGC Forums, I have made it my mission to cure Sony Selective Memory Syndrome:" - And that confirms your illness.

One of the signs of SSMS is actually a refusal to engage with a poster's subject matter where that subject matter contradicts what the SSMS sufferer wishes to believe.

Typically, the diseased then resorts to personal insults instead.

Ringing any bells?

Didnt know that what you've written was ment as a personal insult towards yourself. Sorry if i hurt your feelings.

Wow.

Just wow.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:

for 299, PS3 has much more value for an average person .all in one box type thing.

Perhaps for the "average" hardcore gaming videophile, but HD penetration is still hovering around 30% (most of those are 720p) so the "average" doesnt even have HD to take advantage of Bluray, Broadband is finally in a majority at 88% but wifi in homes is still below 20%.  Basically what it comes down to is the games, the rest makes for nice bragging rights for those in a position to take advantage of it but for the "average person" they just dont matter much.

Does anybody know how much electricity the Ps3 Slim will use?

If you trust this: 

Then the case is that the Ps3 actually costs 60 dollars more a year, by electricity.

Note: This may be flawed, I'm sorry if it is.

starcraft said:
bigdom2786 said:
starcraft said:
Asmo said:
starcraft said:

Xbox 360 AAA: 21    

PS3 AAA: 13

Wii AAA: 9

Xbox 360 85+: 68

PS3 85+: 54

Wii 85+: 22

Apparently it's a 2009 thing too.

I'm not saying the PS3 has a bad library.  I wouldn't own one if it did.  But there is a better one this generation.

To make sense of that you should take games that released only in 2009...

Why on Earth would I do that?

If I purchased a $299 Xbox 360 and a $299 PS3 I could purchase far more high quality games for the Xbox 360 than the PS3.

And I could most likely do so at cheaper prices.

Hope this doesn't include 05'-6...cuz then it wouldn't be fair considering that the ps3 or wii were released til nov of 06'

Who cares about fair?  Does the fact the PS3 wasn't out stop you buying 2005/06 awesome games on the Xbox 360?

The generation didn't start until Sony said it did, with PS3 release. All games released before PS3 release, are null and void.

starcraft said:
bigdom2786 said:
starcraft said:
Asmo said:
starcraft said:

Xbox 360 AAA: 21    

PS3 AAA: 13

Wii AAA: 9

Xbox 360 85+: 68

PS3 85+: 54

Wii 85+: 22

Apparently it's a 2009 thing too.

I'm not saying the PS3 has a bad library.  I wouldn't own one if it did.  But there is a better one this generation.

To make sense of that you should take games that released only in 2009...

Why on Earth would I do that?

If I purchased a $299 Xbox 360 and a $299 PS3 I could purchase far more high quality games for the Xbox 360 than the PS3.

And I could most likely do so at cheaper prices.

Hope this doesn't include 05'-6...cuz then it wouldn't be fair considering that the ps3 or wii were released til nov of 06'

Who cares about fair?  Does the fact the PS3 wasn't out stop you buying 2005/06 awesome games on the Xbox 360?

......i was being saracastic....

Around the Network
grapeape said:
SpartanFX said:

for 299, PS3 has much more value for an average person .all in one box type thing.

Perhaps for the "average" hardcore gaming videophile, but HD penetration is still hovering around 30% (most of those are 720p) so the "average" doesnt even have HD to take advantage of Bluray, Broadband is finally in a majority at 88% but wifi in homes is still below 20%.  Basically what it comes down to is the games, the rest makes for nice bragging rights for those in a position to take advantage of it but for the "average person" they just dont matter much.

Thank you...that's what I've been trying to get at. Unless they're buying an HDTV with it, it's not important. I'm thinking people are forgetting the most important thing......the games. Who cares about the web browser if you have a computer.

The Ps3 does trump the 360 on one thing and it's the online. But it's more of an you get what you pay for since Xbox live has been proven to be a better intergated service.

btw you have links so i can back this up in the future?

Pineapple is it just me or that chart is based on consoles turned on 24/7?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

But ffs.. that has nothing to do with it.

Both consoles does the exact same thing, right? Both will play the exact same way if both are plugged in on a hard line and on a SDTV, right? So based on that chart, why would you chose the 360?

If two cars cost the exact same way and they handle the exact same way, but one of them has a cup holder, dvd player in the back seat and aircondition included for the same price. Why would one "settle" for the car with less features? Just because i dont plan on visiting the McDonalds drive thru - dont plan on watching dvds in the back seat and can just roll down the windows of my car to get AC - dosent mean i wont enjoy those features, ever.

I have never understood the lack of WiFi for the Xbox 360.

starcraft said:

Yeah, that would be stupid.

While not considering Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank or Infamous because they are not AAA by your Metacritic-enslaved definition is oh-so-smart.

Give it a rest, pal. The very same game can have sevaral points of difference between indistinguishable versions on Metacritic - as a proof that your threshold criteria makes no sense, even if you want to be a slave of review numbers.

If you don't, and take Metacritic more as the starting point for getting informations about games, as I'd say any reasonable person should do, the glaring result is that both consoles at this point in time have great libraries and great variety. Surely enough to cater to most gamers, both of them.

At this point softwre-wise I find more honest to focus on exclusives. You want to play Halo or Gears? then you'll need a 360. You want Uncharted or LittleBigPlanet? then you'll need a PS3.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman