By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the PS3 surge pass the 360 in the future?

Main reason I am asking this is because of the sales prediction some people have of the PS3 taking off after 2009 and beyond.  People should know that I like to base most of anything I say on games.  Well it looks like on average a game is going to take about 2 years to make or basically every other year in this generation.  Looking at that as a basis you can predict the 360 should have a pretty nasty lineup for 2009 as many of the games that came out this year would get their sequels in 2009 which brings me to my main point in that the 360 should be fine the rest of the way and stay ahead of the PS3.  Yeah it will get a boost here and there from blockbuster releases but so will the 360.  Is great that MGS4,GT and FF are coming but how long until the next version of those come out? Will we see more versions of those like the PS2?  Basically people are counting on 3 games for the next 3-5 years to all of a sudden lead a surge of PS3 sales?  Obviously I know there will be other games but this to me is the main basis of most peoples arguments.  I just don't see how the PS3 will all of sudden start pulling more games then the 360 even past 2008. 

The other thing to consider is price.  MS should hit the mass market sooner then the PS3 with a $199 360 which should boost sales.  Unless the PS3 starts to make a strong surge now then publishers will start to jump ship similar to Capcom moving Monster Rancher 3 to the Wii. 

For those making the prediction that the PS3 will eventually pass the 360 how is it that the PS3 will take off in the future? Blue-ray?Games?Price? 

Would like to know what you think TheSource since I saw your personal prediction had the PS3 ahead in lifetime sales. 

Around the Network

Whatever happens, Sony lost the battle compared to the % owned by Sony on last consoles.
I believe 360 will continue to sell and end with similar numbers to PS3.
If Microsoft figures out Japanese market, then Xbox will stay on top.

I don't think the PS3 will ever shoot past the 360... It might creep past near the end of life but overall, I think they'll be close.

Personally, I think the 360 will maintain a lead for the next two years with the PS3 narrowing the gap in 2009 and beyond as MS starts ramping up for the next 'box and the PS3 enters a price range regular people are willing to pay.

With the price advantage and the overall gain I think the 360 will enjoy over the next 6 months or more, the PS3 will have a long road to climb out of 3rd place and if it ever passes the 360, it will take at least 3 years.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Your not going to get an answer. Why well there is no actual, factual, rational explanation for those predictions. The members that make those predictions often realize that its all hot air, and they have no data to back up their claims. So they will ignore this post, and yet in two days they will make the same blow hard prediction. Pretty nice deal eh.

I think that the rate of succes the Wii has in Japan will determine if PS3 can surpass the 360.
If Wii will crush PS3 in Japan and recieves all the big games, like MH3, PS3 sales will be really small in Japan. 360 is virtually dead there, so PS3 needs the Japan sales to win from 360, since imo PS3 will never win in the US. Europe will probably really close, with a small lead for PS3, so Sony has to count on Japanese sales, and can't afford to hand that market to Wii.

Around the Network

You should consult the oracle of Delphi, not us...

Anyways, I think Nintendo and Microsof'ts worst nightmare is for Sony to do everything it had done right in the PS1 and PS2 days. Sony, believe it or not, has the big guns in the armory (1st/2nd party devs. with those Sony games people love), but Sony just not using them as much as they should be at this point. 

I think the second they get back in the "zone" they will wail on the competition. Out of the three main companies, in my opinion, Sony seems to have the most potential, just lagging on bringing it out to the field. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Ratchet & Clank will spark a dramatic boost (nothing stellar, but significant nonetheless) in PS3 sales allong with games. Sony's November seems to be very underspoken and not taken seriously, especially when you consider its exclusive lineup compared to others. 2008 looks extremely good for Sony if they manage to market Killzone 2 correctly. What I mean by that is, let's face it, the U.S. loves FPS's, and Killzone 2 looks like it'll be an amazing one at it. If Sony manages to put out a commercial glorifying that game I think it'll give the PS3 the same effect FF7 gave PS1. But that's just my sole prediction. I don't even want a rebuttal to my post. I'll say it again, it's my prediction. No rebuttal, stupid flammers. 

People like to think the PS3 will reclaim the lead, but they seem to forget that nothing like this has happened. Ever.

The best it could hope for is tying the 360 or just slightly ahead, but this will be due to its strengths in Japan and Europe - it will never outsell the 360 in the US.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Seems nobody here so far thinks the PS3 will surge ahead of the 360 which goes in line with my thinking but I seen a few posters have it in their prediction box that it will pass it once we get to around 2009. Are they just playing it safe and following the analys or quite frankly just hoping and having faith in the SONY brand? The only thing the PS3 in my mind that it has going for it is the blu-ray but if that doesn't take off what then? If the 360 stays ahead games will have to be made to fit dvd or have a Hardrive required or multiple disk or whatever there is money to be made if the installed base stays so far ahead developers will make it work. Man this holiday can't go fast enough hehe

Duh! Of course PS3 domination starts next year I mean look its got MGS4 FF13 Ratchet White Knight Story Tekken GTAIV will look better than 360 version plus RROD makes people scared of peice of crap 360 and MS only gets sales because people have to buy two or three after they die I bet they count the refurb warranty ones as a sale, they had their glory in Halo now its all over its Sony's turn now, plus Wii has weak graphics most people will get sick of Mario this and that, Fit will bomb who cares about aerobics its gay plus I forgot to mention PS3 is getting Africa and Little Big Planet I mean how can you not realize PS3 powns all next year omg wtf!!

phew! 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )