By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese developers concerned about Wii's future

" Lowest sales since system's launch

While demand for the Wii remains strong, and Nintendo's stock has reached record highs, some Japanese developers are concerned about the system's future.

According to an IGN article, citing the Nikkei Business Daily, several Japanese developers claim that Nintendo has been the only beneficiary of the Wii's success.

These develpers claim that, while Nintendo was able to predict demand for the console, other publishers were forced to play catch up, quickly producing titles which often didn't sell.

Other developers think that the Wii is a fad and that its popularity will fade. An unnamed president of one developer went so far as to tell Nikkei that "People bought it out of curiosity, and it's likely a lot of them haven't used it."

The most recent sales data from Japan showed the Wii moving just 168,000 units, which was the worst month of sales since the system was introduced in December 2006. According to the Nikkei Business Daily, companies are now "on guard for signs of a major change.""

Source - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29516 

The Philidelphia was not an accident. It was a merciful bullet to the head of a malignant ideology. It was the death of fear and the birth of hope. Rejoice, children of Nod, the blood of your oppressors will flow and fifty years of tyranny will finally end. Transformation is coming. A new day will dawn. The future... is ours

Around the Network

WHAT

ANOTHER major change

we've had enough changes this gen

360 to "PS3" (thats never happened) so they had to change to WII

n now to what PS3??

This is bad for devs.

they should stick to multiplat for now

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Being discussed here.

If the 40gb becomes sucess ful with dynasty warriors 6 bundled in ... then SONY domination

mM

@leo-j

So dynasty warriors 6 is somehoe gonna do better than wii with super mario galaxy?

sorry nope.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

@azzer

Maybe yea?

mM
leo-j said:
@azzer

Maybe yea?

Let's all let leo-j have his hopes and dreams for now.  Reality will crush those soon enough anyway.

"According to an IGN article, citing the Nikkei Business Daily, several Japanese developers claim that Nintendo has been the only beneficiary of the Wii's success.

These develpers claim that, while Nintendo was able to predict demand for the console, other publishers were forced to play catch up, quickly producing titles which often didn't sell."

The second paragraph answers the first.

Only Nintendo has benefited from the Wii... Because only Nintendo did anything to benefit.

That said, Dragon Quest Swords has sold more than any third party PS3 or 360 effort.

As for the fad argument, It's only a fad if no games are released for it, and Especially in Japan, big games are coming.

I'm not really putting much stock in that article. The wii hasn't had a big game in Japan since Mario Party. Is it any suprise sales are dropping? It seems like the past months of phsychotic sales have left people expecting far too much. It's still selling pretty damn well people!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

leo-j said:
@azzer

Maybe yea?

Based on the principle that nothing is guaranteed in a complex system like economics, I would say there is a possibility, but you're acting as though it's likely, which is way off. It's just remotely possible. DW has been a niche series for years.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

stof said:

That said, Dragon Quest Swords has sold more than any third party PS3 or 360 effort.

Stof, you're silly. You silly goose!