By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

darkknightkryta said:
My favourite wrestler? I'll always have a soft spot for Hogan. I still remember watching the promo of Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior on Superstars. I had no idea they were actually going to fight each other as I didn't get my "unlock channels" box until later and I didn't understand a word they were saying. Only time I saw Hogan wrestle on T.V. since that was the only Superstars he was on. I really adored Hogan. Terry Bollea on the other hand, is a POS. Reading about all the crap he did. Not even the racism. Just the way he would play politics. Though it was funny how frustrated Shawn Michaels got after being out politicked for the first time in his life by Hogan.

My all time favourite though, is Bret Hart. Other than Owen Hart, there hasn't really been anyone like him in the ring. Just the psychology he brought to his matches. I mean, re-watching his matches now, they were honestly a work of art. It makes me sad that no one even tries to bring that kind of in ring capabilities. The way he knew how to mix up holds and spots in his matches. We'll probably never see that again (Especially looking at the current set of wrestlers and their lack of chain wrestling).

Not sure I can make a top 5 though. Macho Man, Jake, Undertaker, Shawn, Austin, Rock. There were a lot of great characters.

On another note, my favourite era was actually 1990 - 1998. I ate up everything then. I mean, I liked the attitude era as much as anybody, but it really doesn't hold up well today. Way too much non-sense. Too many factions, too much Russo booking. Though I probably like the early to mid 90s more because of nostalgia. Though that was a transition period that was pretty unheard of. Superior tag teams. Great mat technicians. There was still a hold over of promos capabilities from the 80s you just don't see today. I don't think we'll ever get that again unless wrestlers who do some research into the past, come along.

Hitman really was awesome to watch. I don't think we'll ever see his like again. Especially considering how its  not 'cool' to be a technical wrestler. Its a shame too because even among graduates of The Dungeon, no one outside of Owen could really compare. Although I think that Jericho came up with a better finisher in the Liontamer/ True Walls of Jericho. I think if Bret Hart pulled that thing out in the early 90s he would have snapped spines.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:

Hitman really was awesome to watch. I don't think we'll ever see his like again. Especially considering how its  not 'cool' to be a technical wrestler. Its a shame too because even among graduates of The Dungeon, no one outside of Owen could really compare. Although I think that Jericho came up with a better finisher in the Liontamer/ True Walls of Jericho. I think if Bret Hart pulled that thing out in the early 90s he would have snapped spines.

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.  Technical wrestlers, especially from Europe and Mexico, are doing pretty well for themselves.  Bryan Danielson is probably one of the best technical wrestlers ever, though, obviously, he changed his style completely in the WWE.

Zack Sabre, Kyle O'Reilly, and Pentagon Jr. are all fantastic and are all pretty popular.  Sabre won Technical Wrestler of the Year for 2015.

Some guys, like Thatcher and Busick, are just too "grappler-ish" for my tastes, though.  Mexican wrestlers like Virus are amazingly skilled but I don't watch any of the Mexican promotions and some of those matches where they spend 20 minutes trading holds lose me quickly.

Japan has some guys who are really, really good but they aren't locked into one style for the entire match.  Kushida is a great example.

Kushida vs. Kyle O'Reilly - NJPW BOSJ 2016 Day 1   A lot of people have been raving about this match.  O'Reilly's submission work is excellent.

Unless you just mean the WWE.  That's mainly on how they do things, though, not the wrestlers themselves.

pokoko said:
bunchanumbers said:

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly.  Technical wrestlers, especially from Europe and Mexico, are doing pretty well for themselves.  Bryan Danielson is probably one of the best technical wrestlers ever, though, obviously, he changed his style completely in the WWE.

Zack Sabre, Kyle O'Reilly, and Pentagon Jr. are all fantastic and are all pretty popular.  Sabre won Technical Wrestler of the Year for 2015.

Some guys, like Thatcher and Busick, are just too "grappler-ish" for my tastes, though.  Mexican wrestlers like Virus are amazingly skilled but I don't watch any of the Mexican promotions and some of those matches where they spend 20 minutes trading holds lose me quickly.

Japan has some guys who are really, really good but they aren't locked into one style for the entire match.  Kushida is a great example.

Kushida vs. Kyle O'Reilly - NJPW BOSJ 2016 Day 1   A lot of people have been raving about this match.  O'Reilly's submission work is excellent.

Unless you just mean the WWE.  That's mainly on how they do things, though, not the wrestlers themselves.

Its a shame that style change pretty much killed his career. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out. Its always good to check out some technical wrestling.

BasilZero said:

This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen in Wrestling history.

This was so funny, cringeworthy and awesome at the same time.

Brother Basil!  Have you seen the enhanced version?

I don't recall Matt ever talking like that...

Around the Network

https://twitter.com/JustinLaBar/status/740217608813858816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"Triple H on NXT roster after brand split: THINKS roster will look different but says he doesn't KNOW."

That's pretty interesting.

Thanks for the video! I was surprised at the strikes but the wrestling itself was top notch.

bunchanumbers said:
Thanks for the video! I was surprised at the strikes but the wrestling itself was top notch.

It's funny but MMA really changed wrestling, especially starting in Japan.  There was a big movement over there to have wrestling mirror MMA (sometimes even going too far).  Some technical wrestlers are still all about moving from hold to hold but many have incorporated strikes, flash submissions, and lots of counters into their style.  Guys like O'Reilly specialize in that, which is why he's doing really well in Japan and has said he wants to move up to heavyweight.  Japan loves strikes.

If you ever watch Asuka (Kana) in NXT, that's how she wrestles, as well, and she's really good at it.

So the guy who made the DX theme died. Kinda weird cause I was just thinking about his music was so 90s.

WWE Cruiserweight Classic 

Participants

(*my comments)  Takes place June 23, July 14, August, 26 and September 14

Shadow1980 said:

What a woman. *swoons*

And she likes videogames.