By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. AJ Styles (NJPW)  --  You guys might want to watch this one, as it has some interesting developments at the end.  It's the consolation match for the G1 Climax tournament.  Not only is the match excellent, as these guys are two of the best in the world, but it looks like there might be something in the works between NJPW and Jarrett's GFW.  If you don't want to watch the whole match, skip to about 20 minutes in.

I wanna know where this is going.

If you just want to read the spoiler, here you go--

In major breaking international news, TNA Wrestling co-founder and former WCW/WWE star Jeff Jarrett invaded New Japan Pro Wrestling’s show this weekend at the Seibu Dome. Jarrett, along with Scott D’Amore, came down at first to stop IWGP Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles and the Bullet Clup from attacking Tanahashi. They then revealed a guitar with the words “Bullet Club” on it, and joined the infamous faction in devastating Tanahashi. 

Jarrett was on-hand at the event to cement Global Force Wrestling’s partnership with New Japan. 

In the finals of the 2014 G1 Climax tournament – which many are calling not only better than last year’s tournament, but the best tournament in all of wrestling history – Kazuchika Okada defeated Shinsuke Nakamura. Okada is now a two-time G1 winner, and will use his win as leverage to chase AJ Styles and the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. 

amp316 said:
Just wondering if Lewis saw Rusev crush Big E in about two minutes and what he thought of it? :p

I hate it so much when the WWE ends a feud with a squash.  It's so stupid to me.  It makes the whole feud look like a waste of time.  Rather than ending with one wrestler looking slightly better than the other, it just makes one of them look weak.  That's how they destroyed R-Truth's run against Cena.  I'll never understand the WWE's need to devalue their own talent just for a short-term push.

Around the Network

Yeah, think it took Rusev longer to walk to the ring and back then it did for the match itself. Not sure what else they are going to do with this guy other then the Ryback squash until you job path.

Noshowers said:
Yeah, think it took Rusev longer to walk to the ring and back then it did for the match itself. Not sure what else they are going to do with this guy other then the Ryback squash until you job path.

I have a feeling that he's going to lose the flag match with Swagger.  It's a way to get another give build up this feud and give Rusev a loss without being pinned or submitted.  He won't be pinned or submitted until he faces the mighty John Cena and then will see if he becomes a jobber... 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:

I have a feeling that he's going to lose the flag match with Swagger.  It's a way to get another give build up this feud and give Rusev a loss without being pinned or submitted.  He won't be pinned or submitted until he faces the mighty John Cena and then will see if he becomes a jobber... 

Are you implying that anyone who does really well in the WWE will be fed to that new up and comer who needs the boost, John Cena?

Carl2291 said:
amp316 said:

Are you implying that anyone who does really well in the WWE will be fed to that new up and comer who needs the boost, John Cena?

Would be funny if it wasn't true :(.  Cena still overcoming the odds

Around the Network

I actually started tearing up during the Hogan thing last night. It was probably because when I looked into the ring at all of those guys that I realized how much worse wrestling has gotten since those days.

Paul Orndorff was the man until he had those arm problems. Just giving a shout out to the guy that younger fans probably know the least about out of the guys at the birthday party.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
I actually started tearing up during the Hogan thing last night. It was probably because when I looked into the ring at all of those guys that I realized how much worse wrestling has gotten since those days.

Paul Orndorff was the man until he had those arm problems. Just giving a shout out to the guy that younger fans probably know the least about out of the guys at the birthday party.

Would have been fantastic if it wasnt Cena who came out to save them all. The entire roster should have started walking towards the ring or something, so they could get across that sign of "respect" for Hulk/ the legends and build something for when Brock (hopefully) beats Cena at SummerSlam.

Also posting here for gif reasons.

Yeah, I know RAW has been awful lately, but ... well, it's SummerSlam, which is supposed to be a big deal.

Rusev vs. Jack Swagger (Flag match)  --  I'm thinking Rusev wins.  Absolutely no reason to end his run with a loss to Swagger.  A Monster is only a Monster as long as he looks unstoppable.  

AJ Lee vs. Paige (Divas Championship)  --  This is rumored to be scheduled for longer than most Diva's matches but who knows how much of that will be wrestling.  The WWE always screws up with the Diva's division, so I'm thinking a lot of this will be drama spots and cat-fighting rather than in-ring wrestling.  I think AJ wins and Paige goes crazy.  Yeah, I know we've seen that storyline a billion times but Vince seems to love the idea of emotionally unstable females.

The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler (Intercontinental Championship)  --  Should be good, though I doubt they will allow it to be special so that it won't steal the show.  Miz wins by cheating.

Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns  --  Reigns wins.  We'll finally see how Roman does in a full-length match instead of just action-hero spots.

Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella  --  Nikki turns on Brie and helps Steph beat her down.  The drama go on.

Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho  --  I don't know what they'd gain by Jericho winning unless it's the continued destruction of the Wyatt Family.  Bray has to win here or people will stop caring.

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins (Lumberjack match)  --  My Interference Sense is tingling.

Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Championship)  --  I never thought I'd say this but I'm rooting for Cena.  This is probably the first time in a couple of years.  I have zero desire to see the belt on another part timer.  It kills the entire meaning for me.  However, Lesnar will win, otherwise why pay him all that money?

I'm not very excited about this, to be honest.  Ambrose vs. Rollins would normally have my full attention but that stip dampens my enthusiasm by a lot.  I hope Reigns is secretly good at wrestling and I pray AJ and Paige can have a fantastic wrestling match instead of a Total Diva's match where they just scream a lot and pull hair.

To add my 2 cents for what it's worth on this Summerslam card:

I echo the sentiments on Raw lately. Pretty weak, I really miss Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. But with what we have:

Rusev vs. Jack Swagger (Flag match) -- If Swagger doesn't win this one, where does he go from there? I am thinking he has to beat Rusev here, and the stipulation of the match (I don't fully understand it, but expect it to mean you don't have to get a pin to win being key here) can let Rusev lose without looking weak (and without getting pinned). Think Jack gets it done, should be a huge "We the People" before and after the match as well.

AJ Lee vs. Paige (Divas Championship) -- Paige doesn't deserve the belt again (whether it was her fault or not, that first reign was such a disaster). She needs (whether on her or creative) more of a personality and to work her way up with the crowd, that doesn't happen over night. Paige should lose and then start working her way back through the division (laughable I know), but AJ will keep the strap tonight.

The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler (Intercontinental Championship) -- Got to be the Miz. They have definitely put effort into building him back up, and Ziggler is a good worker to help him look good. I hope Ziggler gets pushed again in the future and don't think he deserves this kind of fate, but the belt will stay with Miz.

Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns -- Hard to see Reigns losing this one. Not sure what else you do with Randy after a loss though, so guess that gives him a shot to maybe have a rematch with Reigns next PPV after some outside interference.

Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella -- Funny how if Brie wins this match it will probably be worse for her overall. No one really cared about her before, people barely care about her now... but Stephanie will win and this feud will continue. Maybe HHH will get involved and this is how Daniel Bryan will be re-introduced after his injury, or maybe she'll get stomped straight up (Stephanie is probably the strongest female in the company, heh). I almost think she should just become the Brock Lesner of the Diva division and go after AJ next.

Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho -- Bray has to win. Jericho has been phoning it in recently. i hope when he leaves and comes back next, he acts less like an entitled "rock" star and remember what kind of wrestler he used to be.

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins (Lumberjack match) -- Dean is going to win, whether its a pinfall or a DQ victory from a lumberjack.

Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Championship) -- All signs point to Brock Lesner, part timer or no. I wouldn't be opposed to him holding the belt, and it actually might be a breath of fresh air to see the champ more rarely (rather then physical altercations each and every show). That being said, will WWE be fine with house shows, etc without the champ ever appearing? Guess that's on them and not me (i'm not a stock holder), but it could actually be something new and "exotic" for us in a way.

In closing, I am not that excited about this as other posters have stated above. Brock vs Cena basically is lose lose unless Rollins cashes in (would he cash in on the unstoppable Brock?). If he cashes in on Cena, that means Cena just buried the man who just buried the Undertaker his last match. It is lol Cena we are talking about, but even that seems extreme. I think Rollins with the Belt at the end of the night is the best of the possible outcomes, though that means Brock would have to submit to a 3 count one way or another.

I think the Match of the night will be Miz vs Ziggler. I am a Miz mark of course and Ziggler gets the best out of everyone just as much as guys like Bryan does, so this match will be great.

Ambrose vs Rollins will be a very close second, but has a higher ceiling as long as the Lumberjacks don't m,ess it up and actually add positives to the match.

Cena vs Brock I think will be crap (will be a slow pace power type deal with some shoulder blocks thrown in). No one will be here to pick up the pace, just an old school muscle man main event.

Steph vs Brie will probably be crap (though I have hopes Steph can carry Brie a bit), and AJ vs Paige probably will be fine as long as Paige keeps her screams to a minimum and not after every punch or arm drag.

I think Reigns and Orton has the best shot at being disappointing. The ole Goldberg "we want 20 minutes out of him and can barely get 12" is what is plaguing reigns here, and I am not sure Randy can carry this match an extra 10+ minutes by himself, so it will again be a very slow and laborious affair.

Ok, Summerslam about to start. If some other folks end up being around maybe we can keep the thread going, but by the looks of it there are only a few sporadic updates on this. Maybe I'll see some of you around some of the other boards during this event, can post my thoughts after the event as well.