By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 gig not selling well in UK?

Dolla Dolla said:
johnsobas said:

I'm not even going to pretend that amazon is very accurate, but it gives you some kind indication on how well things are doing.

johnsobas said:

I'm not even going to pretend that amazon is very accurate

johnsobas said:

I'm not even going to

You really shouldn't have.

MontanaHatchet said:

I wonder what Dolla Dolla will have to say to this...

I don't know why you immediately discount this information. I'm not saying it's dead on accurate, i'm saying it's accurate enough to tell us that if the 60 gig is at #2 and the 40 gig is at #150 then it's a pretty big sign that the 40 gig isn't selling that well. There are many factors that can make amazon less accurate and i hate it when people use amazon to make sales points about how bioshock is outselling mp3 etc, but in this case the difference is massive and shouldn't be discounted so easily.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

If the truth was known, I think Sony sees the 40 gig model as a cheaper blu-ray player first and a games console later in the future. They hope to sell a LOT of them worldwide even if the majority of them are buying it for blu-ray... Success means they make progress in beating out HD-DVD and will get royalty rewards in the future on blu-ray. The other battlefront, in gaming, is on the 60 gig since (at least in Europe) it is a better deal (+2 games +1 controller +BC). I think Sony fully knew well that the lower price console would help the more expensive console... It's "just" a little more and you get so much more...

I dont' know why everyone assumes BC isn't important to those that already have a PS2. I have a PS2 and BC is extremely important to me and I wouldn't own a PS3 without BC until the library is quite large.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I have my doubts about the 40GB selling well in Europe, make no mistake. I do, however, believe Amazon is the devil, and a baby seal dies whenever they are referenced to make a point about the market.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

kn said:
If the truth was known, I think Sony sees the 40 gig model as a cheaper blu-ray player first and a games console later in the future. They hope to sell a LOT of them worldwide even if the majority of them are buying it for blu-ray... Success means they make progress in beating out HD-DVD and will get royalty rewards in the future on blu-ray. The other battlefront, in gaming, is on the 60 gig since (at least in Europe) it is a better deal (+2 games +1 controller +BC). I think Sony fully knew well that the lower price console would help the more expensive console... It's "just" a little more and you get so much more...

I dont' know why everyone assumes BC isn't important to those that already have a PS2. I have a PS2 and BC is extremely important to me and I wouldn't own a PS3 without BC until the library is quite large.

if ya want a cheap BR player they are selling them at sears for about 200-300 dollars.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

like the PS3 was first on amazon for like 2 or 3 weeks.

Guess what, it outsold the 360 for only 2 weeks in NA. I quit believing in amazon and Im with Dolla Dolla on this one.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

so whats it gonna be people... first amazon wasnt credible now it is?? pick one and stick with it..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Bonafide732 said:
so whats it gonna be people... first amazon wasnt credible now it is?? pick one and stick with it..

Maybe they are training to be politicians.

i didn't say it was accurate, i said it was accurate enough that when there is a gap like #2 to #150 it might mean something.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I guess the 60 GB model is still a better value to them. And I must say, the red PS3 looks quite interesting, very christmasy.

Not selling well, well am not that much informed :S, you have to think that christmas is coming :D *gingles* well don't you think some people will wait till christmas to buy their console? and then have huge sales in that month to make up the months they didn't sell that well?
What I think that sony is doing since some people didn't like the price and being charged for extra stuff that maybe they are not even going to use, they were like ok lets sell a model that has less stuff for some price. So they give the ability to choose, which is a good strategy :).