By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 40 gig not selling well in UK?

I'm not even going to pretend that amazon is very accurate, but it gives you some kind indication on how well things are doing.  In this case the gap between the 60 gig and 40 gig is so huge i think it's pretty clear.

The 60 gig PS3 is 2nd behind the Wii while the 40 gig cannot be found in the top 100.  Other countries such as france and germany don't have consoles on their bestsellers list.

I'm not gonna call this damning evidence but it's not a good sign for the 40 gig.  However the good news is that I think the 60 gig is selling very well.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

I wonder what Dolla Dolla will have to say to this...

You know, because if Amazon is any indicator, the Wii and PS3 are the two most popular consoles in the United Kingdom.

but the 40gb is allready in sale now ?

Time to Work !

The Wii is #1 on Amazon yet it hasn't been in stock for over a week, how come!?

oh yes, release dte : 10/10/07

1/ some people where already saying this before the price drop :

price drop without BIG esclusive game around = no big effect.

personnaly, If I was Sony and IF I wanted to make a price drop I would have wait for PES2008 release in November .

2/ REMEMBER the 10/10/07, there is 2 event !!!

a- 40gb model, no BC, -2 USB = 399$!!!!!!!

b- 60gb model+2games+1paddle = 499$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

expect a LOT of people jumping on the offer "b", even more considering that this is more or less a clearance sale (as in NA).
At least at the beginning, the 60gb model should outsell the 40gb model

Time to Work !

Around the Network

I don't think it really matters with Amazon. I mean considering the type of people who shop Amazon it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't want down the stripped down version of the PS3.

I do think the 40 gig might not help as much as people think since BC is a pretty big deal for most people (including those with PS2s.) Still should have a good front end boost, but i think it might have a quicker drop then you would expect this kind of thing to have.

^^^ i agree, with amazon the shoppers are "generally" more informed than the the avg walmart customer, but time will tell.

Of course the 60GB is selling well, that was the whole strategy and therefore it seems more like it that people "do" care about Backward Compatibility. Not important... my arse.

Yes 40GB is since 10 October on sale in Europe, people ;)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:
Of course the 60GB is selling well, that was the whole strategy and therefore it seems more like it that people "do" care about Backward Compatibility. Not important... my arse.

Yes 40GB is since 10 October on sale in Europe, people ;)

Personally, I would go for the 60Gb model.  I'm in the UK and there is a £50 price difference between the 40Gb and 60Gb models.  But this £50 doesn't just equate to the bigger hard drive, extra USB ports, memory card reader and BC...don't forget that you are getting 2 free games as well.  It's the games that are the selling point....and this will show that Sony was correct to state that Europeans prefer to have bundles.

I know that you can get Fifa 08 free with the 40Gb model in Blockbuster for the £299 price...but personally to pay £50 more to get Resistance and Heavenly Sword with the 60Gb model...seems just sensible.

I honestly think that this is exactly what Sony wanted to happen.  They are only providing a cheaper model for people who only want to pay £299 and buy their choice of game.  But if you could get the two free games with the 40Gb model for the same price and the £50 difference was actually for the different model alone...then you would see higher sales towards to the 40Gb model.

Once the PES 2008 special edition 40Gb model is released, I will be interested to see how it performs. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

40GB release and 60GB pack price cut starts tomorrow in germany