By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some Blu-ray statistics. "It's popular, not getting cheaper"

Scoobes said:
Hephaestos said:
whatever the article says, 3 years, 50 million.... it's not the 90ies anymore, people buy electronics everywhere not just in the states and Japan. The DVD comparisons are stupid just for that.

DVD launch, still early for the internet, most people can't even type on a keyboard, new technologies are ackward for the masses, especially High tech expensive ones. The initial market for DVD is limited.

BR launch, people all have internet capable camera-phones in their pockets and try whatever new technological gimmick comes out. The initial market for BR is enormous.

Not the same world as it was 10 years ago. BR is a failure (probably due to HD-DVD war).

Er, not sure what you're on about, you seem to think that Europe didn't buy technology in the 90s when they were ahead of the States for things like mobile phone tech. If anything, Blu-Ray has been successful considering it has had more competition than DVD has ever had. Not just from HD-DVD, but from traditional DVD and Digital Downloads. DVD only had competition from VHS and there numerous added and obvious benefits in DVD over VHS (scene selection etc.). Not only this, but Blu-Ray also has the fact that you need an HDTV to enjoy it making the entry price much higher than DVD ever was.

So, yeah, the world is not as it was 10 yrs ago, its been harder for BR to be successful, yet BR is doing well given these circumstances. So no, not a failure.

This.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

Around the Network
Bokal said:
Scoobes said:
Hephaestos said:
whatever the article says, 3 years, 50 million.... it's not the 90ies anymore, people buy electronics everywhere not just in the states and Japan. The DVD comparisons are stupid just for that.

DVD launch, still early for the internet, most people can't even type on a keyboard, new technologies are ackward for the masses, especially High tech expensive ones. The initial market for DVD is limited.

BR launch, people all have internet capable camera-phones in their pockets and try whatever new technological gimmick comes out. The initial market for BR is enormous.

Not the same world as it was 10 years ago. BR is a failure (probably due to HD-DVD war).

Er, not sure what you're on about, you seem to think that Europe didn't buy technology in the 90s when they were ahead of the States for things like mobile phone tech. If anything, Blu-Ray has been successful considering it has had more competition than DVD has ever had. Not just from HD-DVD, but from traditional DVD and Digital Downloads. DVD only had competition from VHS and there numerous added and obvious benefits in DVD over VHS (scene selection etc.). Not only this, but Blu-Ray also has the fact that you need an HDTV to enjoy it making the entry price much higher than DVD ever was.

So, yeah, the world is not as it was 10 yrs ago, its been harder for BR to be successful, yet BR is doing well given these circumstances. So no, not a failure.

This.

I second this.

And blu-rays are getting cheaper, seen some good movies ranging from $10-$15, couse depends on your taste.  Not sure about elsewhere but i think the prices are decent compared to DVDs in Canada.

Typically, a new DVD movie = $23.99, DVD collectors = $27.99, Blu-ray $29.99 with more contents then the collectors and in HD its worth coughing up a few more dollars compared to the DVD version. IMO

@ Scoobes

I have no idea what planet you grew up on, but you have it all wrong. You make it sound like we were living in the dark ages 15-20 yrs ago. You sir are a fool, if your going to make such ridiculous statements like that, you better sure as hell be able to back them up with facts and references. Otherwise your just a person with shit for brains.

eb30577 said:
@ Scoobes

I have no idea what planet you grew up on, but you have it all wrong. You make it sound like we were living in the dark ages 15-20 yrs ago. You sir are a fool, if your going to make such ridiculous statements like that, you better sure as hell be able to back them up with facts and references. Otherwise your just a person with shit for brains.

say what? where did I say that? am I missing something? what did I say that was so ridiculous?

Bokal and V-Rock just agreed with my post so does that mean they have shit for brains too?

I don't ever really intend to buy Blu Ray. I have a 53" Bravia, I've owned a PS3 for 2.5 years but its direct download which I want. Physical media died for me once I got into MP3 music.

Tease.

Around the Network
Scruff7 said:
Destroyer_of_knights said:
canch said:

I just think the price for blu-ray movies are just too much and I for one won't buy any until prices drop sub £10 (UK), £22 for Indy Jones 4 (you having a laugh).  But I did buy Rambo 4 from gamestation once for £10 and thats a price Im willing to pay.

I rent my blu-ray movies from blockbusters.  You can buy the same movie on DVD for half the price but if you own a 1080p HDTV you can see the diffence.  Once you watch a HD movie you never want to go back to standard TV again.

ain't that the pure honest truth.

QFT

Not for me. Sometimes you see detail you don't want to see, say for example the pores in Apocalypto.

Tease.

Scoobes said:
eb30577 said:
@ Scoobes

say what? where did I say that? am I missing something? what did I say that was so ridiculous?

Bokal and V-Rock just agreed with my post so does that mean they have shit for brains too?

Just report him.

Maybe he'll go away.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

dtewi said:
50 million in three years? I'm sure DVD sold more than that.

Possible but if those DVD players numbers also included PS2 numbers it is not shocking.

Anyway star scream posted a link sometime ago from a blu ray forum where you could see blu ray is gaining market and that total dvd profit so far is losing 5-10% compared to last year.  Blu ray is getting popular and is hurting DVD (slowly) more and more.

I can't believe they are still charging $400 for some players. No thanks. I know there are cheaper, but damn...

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

poor sony. everyone is bullying them to drop the price on all their goods.

i don't buy a lot of BD movies, the there are some that are worth it no matter the price (to me).