By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii/Ps3/360 - National Survey Shows Which Is Most Wanted For The Holidays.

If Wii percentage is low because the rest already have one then no Wii fanboy should be smug because it means most Wii potentials are alrady gone.

Around the Network

there's a few things i can think of that i would want but wouldn't necessarily buy (due to money constraints) but besides that, and according to the survey, if ppl still want Wiis from a list that can include anything and everything...it's another win for nintendo

"The results cited are based on a survey of 1,200 online Americans aged 18 and older in September 2007 using a professionally-managed panel representative of the US online population."

A: No children were taken into account, although I am quite certain they have a major impact on the actual holiday sales on the console market.

B: Online Americans taking part in such surveys may differentiate greatly from the actual total American population

C: As someone else already mentioned, there is still a big difference between wanting something and actually buying it.

The survey can give some idea about the amount of interest certain products are generating, but in the end I don't think they are a good indication of the amount of sales the different consoles will see this holiday.

The Wii is on all the list good. The PS3 is only on two, and only men want the 360. But I'm a man and I want the Wii so that survey is incorrect!

NightStalker said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I agree with those percents.

I mean, the Wii numbers are low because the rest already have one.

there's the smugness right there haha

Best enjoy the good times while you have them.  They may not last forever.

Around the Network

Every fanboy gets to be smug for a generation or two. You can't really blame us Nintenbots for celebrating after watching our favourite consoles go down the tubes and get ignored by third parties for ten years.

As for the survey, it goes to show that a lot of people want flat-screen TVs.  Heck, I'd put the same thing at the top of my list...but I'm not going to get it. (Actually, a hot new car would be at the top of my list, I'm definitely not getting that).

"HD-capable flat screen TVs were number one with a bullet among all population subgroups with
35% of mentions. Interestingly, most of those HD sets will not deliver true HD to their owners, as only 2% also intend to get a HD box from their cable or satellite company (ranked at #20 on the list)."

Without knowing how the survey was taken and what options were given it's hard to say anything for certain, but this seems to back the arguement that people just want big flat screens and many don't really care if they'll actually get HD or not.  Instead of HDTVs sold, a better indicator of HD penetration would be numbers from cable/satellite providers.

koffieboon said:

"The results cited are based on a survey of 1,200 online Americans aged 18 and older in September 2007 using a professionally-managed panel representative of the US online population."

A: No children were taken into account, although I am quite certain they have a major impact on the actual holiday sales on the console market.

B: Online Americans taking part in such surveys may differentiate greatly from the actual total American population

C: As someone else already mentioned, there is still a big difference between wanting something and actually buying it.

The survey can give some idea about the amount of interest certain products are generating, but in the end I don't think they are a good indication of the amount of sales the different consoles will see this holiday.

Well there you go, Nintendos recent conference proved (admitedly in Japan but it will apply somewhat in US too) that the 18-25 demographic is their worst (ignoring people over 50)

So as the survey was online with only over 18s (more of the online community will be 18-25 than 25+) the Wii did really well to get above the PS3/360 in All, and similarly well to be only 2 % behind PS3 for males.

justincoool said:
I know peeps that are buying ps3 this holiday. The wii false craze is over. PSP sold on par with wii (both 90k) in NA last week. 360 outsold it. grow up and face the truth.
No comment....

The thing with surveys is they can be extremely temperamental. That is why they are rarely worth taking seriously. Most people have this impression that you can just walk down to main street and ask these questions. However that would be the worst thing you could do if your looking for valid results. Worse however is many pollsters do exactly that, or perform phone research in a batch of limited regions. Under the assumption that a small region will be indicative of the larger region. Which is simply not true. What holds true for religious variation might not hold true for affluence.

You need to view any survey with a degree of skepticism. They are exceedingly difficult to do properly. Not that pollsters are necessarily interested in doing them properly. Often its a quick cash grab, or a publicity stunt to attract attention to their services. Basically its the worst kind of science, and every shmuck thinks they can do it. How hard can it be is what they probably think. The truth very hard if your looking to do it very right.