By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Failure Rate is 54.2 Percent

I'll admit it. The reason I have never bought a 360 is because of RROD. Not because I'm afraid of it failing and having to get a new one, but because I hate rewarding a company for doing such a crappy job. In fact I actually like quite a few of the exclusives it has, and LIVE is in my opinion a much better service, even if I don't think it's worth 50$ a year. But I really don't like Microsoft and only buy they're products when I have to. Capitalism has made crappy products acceptable as long as they still turn a profit. The Walmart Syndrome has led to a huge decrease in the quality control of consumer product. I notice alot more while travelling in United States compared to when I was in Europe and Asia, probably because the US is by far the biggest cheerleader for capitalism. But If Sony had designed a PS3 with a very high failure rate, I wouldn't have bought it either. Even the 10% failure rate that the PS3 has seems too high to me. I understand that its mass produced tech and these have a tendancy to fail, but I really wish this industry was alot more like the aviation industry where quality control is of the upmost importance. So I try to do the best I can to affect change by voting with my wallet.

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
mario64 said:
I know people who bought 5 or 6 360. I guess they didn't have the 3 year warranty. I'm in Europe though.

This is exactly why you'll have a hard time convincing me that 360's sales numbers aren't overly inflated.  How many people have actually bought more than 1 system due to being out of warranty, etc. rather than having the same one repaired?

I agree. I also wonder if MSFT counts new systems shipped back, like my 2 that broke that were replaced and not repaired as shipped also.

Regardless though, had MSFT entered the market with one SKU and equal failure rates with the PS3 and Wii could you imagine the utter dominance theyd have experienced?

They offer great software and brought some great stuff out like Achievements and Gamertags to the table first. If this gen has taught us anything, next Gen we will see single SKU's more necessary innovation.

I bought a PS3 because i was fed up with the noise and failures, for now im very happy with my PS3 but if MSFT addresses its issues and offers me what i want IE: a new system not built around natel i would buy their next system in a heartbeat, no doubt about it.

failure rate it's high here too so it's OMG PS3 FANBOYS survey.
i seen a few jasper E74 and a red RE5 RROD.
those problems are not fixed, but rather they are less prone to happen.
less heat , it will go down slowly.
but since the 360 its not really a quiet machine to begin with, and the cpu and gpu are complex enough for such a small box, they are likely to jump on heat or stay around 40 c- 60 c.
which is enough to degrade slow , and E74 and RROD.
a fix for this microsoft redesign the console, and make de gpu and cpu 2.0 backward compatible , but when they are doing something more than a slim down that they need.
its a few billion in research because they have to redesign gpu and cpu and they won't do that.
so RROD E74 will be there.

Actually look at the source, its Gameinformer or the rag of the used game game/console bonanza which is Gamestop!

What kind of consoles do people tend to trade in at somewhere like Gamestop? Unreliable, dying consoles which cannot be sold anywhere else? Yep. if there were no problems you probably wouldn't trade in there because you'd either sell it for more money elsewhere or you would keep it.

What kind of consoles are people who buy from gamestop more likely to be? Used or launch models, or both. Its either the hardcore, get in there first market or the cheapass get it cheaper market. Either way you're looking at a disproportionate number of unreliable consoles in that market compared to anywhere else.

What else is important? The Xbox 360 console has been on the market for a year longer than the PS3 and Wii, the former of those got out of the gate slower so the average time of ownership is markedly different as the PS3 really didn't take off in the U.S. until the price cut. Theres simply been more time for 360s to fail.

Tease.

2 things:

1) I'm not sure I trust this survey.....BUT

2) I am alarmed at both the PS3 and 360 failure rates if this survey is true. Both camps have something to learn from this. One is that the PS3 is at an unacceptable failure rate. When another survey claimed that the 360 was at 10% after Falcon, a lot of PS3 owners were crying foul and saying this was still unacceptable so are they now also going to have to live with an unacceptable failure rate? I do think there has been a lot of YLoD chatter lately, and I am not surprised by the 10% figure. The 360 has pretty much always been at an unacceptable failure rate, but I really don't understand how they came up with this high of a number. I refuse to accept that Jasper and Falcon haven't greatly improved the rates.

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
This entire red ring of death thing just makes me sick. Consumers who have continued to reward such a shoddy product with continued sales should be ashamed. Microsoft puts out so many products (software and hardware) that are so extremely flawed that I can't believe that they didn't go out of business years ago. I believe that so many people defend Microsoft because it's an American company and we as Americans are always told to "buy American". If this exact same situation were to happen to a foreign company such as Sony or Nintendo, people would be making a lot bigger deal out of it. I don't care how good you think the software is. Reliable hardware on which to play the software should trump all.

Then be glad consumers rewarded Sony for crappy hardware with the PS1 and PS2 since you seem to me to be quite fond of SCE. Whats written in the PS2 slim manual? Ohhh don't play for more than 5 hours? Well damn, the Xbox 360 can do better than that and thats without having 9-10 PS2 revisions.

What about the people who defended Nvidia for their bumpgate problems, you know the one thats cost them ~300M in repairs thus far? These problems happened after the Xbox 360 problems occoured so shouldn't they have learnt from the similar Xbox 360 example?

If consumers shunned badly designed consoles, we would be talking about the golden ages of the N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox 1 (maybe) and the PS1/2 would be like a footnote in history.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
dougsdad0629 said:
This entire red ring of death thing just makes me sick. Consumers who have continued to reward such a shoddy product with continued sales should be ashamed. Microsoft puts out so many products (software and hardware) that are so extremely flawed that I can't believe that they didn't go out of business years ago. I believe that so many people defend Microsoft because it's an American company and we as Americans are always told to "buy American". If this exact same situation were to happen to a foreign company such as Sony or Nintendo, people would be making a lot bigger deal out of it. I don't care how good you think the software is. Reliable hardware on which to play the software should trump all.

Then be glad consumers rewarded Sony for crappy hardware with the PS1 and PS2 since you seem to me to be quite fond of SCE. Whats written in the PS2 slim manual? Ohhh don't play for more than 5 hours? Well damn, the Xbox 360 can do better than that and thats without having 9-10 PS2 revisions.

What about the people who defended Nvidia for their bumpgate problems, you know the one thats cost them ~300M in repairs thus far? These problems happened after the Xbox 360 problems occoured so shouldn't they have learnt from the similar Xbox 360 example?

If consumers shunned badly designed consoles, we would be talking about the golden ages of the N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox 1 (maybe) and the PS1/2 would be like a footnote in history.

never a console had a high failure rate of the 360, even so ps1 and ps2 didn't DIE.

Ps1 motors was plastic, prone to meltdown, it could be fixed

and ps2 had a lens problems, fixed by clean or changing the lens, both problems corrected after a year.

Xoj said:
Squilliam said:

never a console had a high failure rate of the 360, even so ps1 and ps2 didn't DIE.

Ps1 motors was plastic, prone to meltdown, it could be fixed

and ps2 had a lens problems, fixed by clean or changing the lens, both problems corrected after a year.

Sony admits to failing Nvidia chips 13 months late

SONY HAS FINALLY confessed that it used defective graphics chips in 14 models in its Vaio laptop range. The defective chips, manufactured by Nvidia, can cause distorted video, graphics display artifacts, random characters and blank screens.

The problem first arose over a year ago and Nvidia finally admitted it in an SEC 8K filing in July 2008. Major PC manufacturers including Apple, Dell and HP have long since implemented free recall and repair programmes, paid for at least in part by Nvidia.

Nvidia's problem was caused by cracking in the underfill material of the graphics chips and worsened by high levels of heat generated in laptops, and it was diagnosed by the Inquirer in September 2008.

Some manufacturers initially attempted to cover up the chip problem by supplying system patches that continually activated cooling fans to prevent further damage and stave off expensive warranty repairs.

But persistent pressure from the Inquirer and lots of angry users led to admissions from Nvidia and the manufacturers as well as high volumes of laptop repairs under warranty and even some product recalls.

Throughout this whole debacle, Sony remained tight-lipped, insisting that its products were unaffected.

Until now, that is.

A statement from Sony, dated August 4th 2009, reads as follows:

"In July 2008, Nvidia publicly acknowledged a failure associated with some of their graphics processors (GPU) due to a manufacturing defect in the graphics chip packaging. At that time Sony and Nvidia jointly investigated whether Vaio models equipped with this GPU were impacted by the issue. This investigation revealed that the issue had not occurred in such Vaio models.

"However, after closely monitoring the situation, Sony has now determined that a very small percentage of computers with the Nvidia graphics chips may be affected.

"These PCs may exhibit distorted video, random characters or a blank screen due to failure of the Nvidia graphics chips.

"As part of our commitment to quality, for any customer who requires repair of their Vaio due to the Nvidia graphics processor issue, Sony will cover the cost of repair (parts and labour) at no charge during the first four years following the date of purchase of the models in question (see list below).

"In case your model is shown in the list below, we invite you to contact Vaio support to arrange service for your Viao."

Is it coincidence that this announcement - which is buried deep in the Sony Vaio support website, and only accessible if you have your model number and serial number to hand - came exactly 13 months after Nvidia finally admitted its culpability?

We can only guess how many disgruntled Sony Vaio owners have scrapped an apparently dead 'out of warranty' laptop because of the faulty Nvidia graphics chips. µ

i think that answers everything, Sony always comes out smelling like roses.****

Roses which are genetically altered to small like shit that is.****

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528907/sony-admits-failing-nvidia-chips-months-late

This is your answer, btw since we don't have any accurate information on the PS1 and PS2 failures we cannot be certain of the nature and extent of their problems. So whilst I cannot prove that its any worse than RROD, you cannot prove it was any better and the extent of the problem really does enter into a subjective area where the capability of the user and the types of failure and whether the consumer was out of pocket come into play.

Tease.

The msot alarming thing about this is that PS3's failure rate is at 10%...you rarely ever see anybody on this site reporting a failure of their ps3...but there is a HIGH amount of ps3 owners on this site...so....

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

I think it's pretty evident they sent out glitched gaming consoles to gain market share. And, since the number is rising it is pretty apparent that for some reason the problem is here to stay until a successor is released.

However, along with their high marketshare, they have also been able to gain the largest number of high quality games this gen and the largest number of the best versions of the multiplat games.

In general people are pretty satisfied with what they've done. Only 3.8% said they wouldn't buy another 360 if theirs broke and customer service should have been rated higher since you get a free three year warranty against rrod on the new ones.