By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Climate Change, No peer reviewed evidence to prove it isn't happening

Have you ever noticed how climate change skeptics have the user name squirrel or an abbreviation on that word. Perhaps there is a connection, hmmm lol.

Around the Network
CrazyHorse said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Ok guys, we have a lot of evidence in this thread, showing how the models your clams are based on don't add up.

Why are you all avoiding that science, and just continuing on? Address Sqrl's post at a minimum. I have yet to see anyone even acknowledge what he posted.

I'm pretty sure I acknowledged what he said and addressed his points?

I went back and re-read your posts.

Is it fare to say your position is climate change is happening, but it’s unclear the root cause?

highwaystar101 said:
Have you ever noticed how climate change skeptics have the user name squirrel or an abbreviation on that word. Perhaps there is a connection, hmmm lol.

LOL - Actually, people used to think we were the same person =P 

Not that I can blame them - the similarities in views are pretty striking.

CrazyHorse said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Ok guys, we have a lot of evidence in this thread, showing how the models your clams are based on don't add up.

Why are you all avoiding that science, and just continuing on? Address Sqrl's post at a minimum. I have yet to see anyone even acknowledge what he posted.

I think he was referring to the fingerprint post - and I don't think he meant you specifically anyways. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:

How about you not knowing what in the hell you're talking about?

Sqrl said:
megaman79 said:

2. Solar crap. Yes it affects it, as does Nino, but we are getting to the end of a solar period and IT IS GETTING HOTTER FASTER.

Yeah, NASA and NOAA disagree with your caps locked bit:

Source

It’s been as dead as a doornail,” David Hathaway, a solar physicist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., said a couple of months ago.

The Sun perked up in June and July, with a sizeable clump of 20 sunspots earlier this month.

Now it is blank again, consistent with expectations that this solar cycle will be smaller and calmer, and the maximum of activity, expected to arrive in May 2013 will not be all that maximum.

For operators of satellites and power grids, that is good news. The same roiling magnetic fields that generate sunspot blotches also accelerate a devastating rain of particles that can overload and wreck electronic equipment in orbit or on Earth.

A panel of 12 scientists assembled by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration now predicts that the May 2013 peak will average 90 sunspots during that month. That would make it the weakest solar maximum since 1928, which peaked at 78 sunspots. During an average solar maximum, the Sun is covered with an average of 120 sunspots.

Still, something like the Dalton Minimumtwo solar cycles in the early 1800s that peaked at about an average of 50 sunspots — lies in the realm of the possible, Dr. Hathaway said. (The minimums are named after scientists who helped identify them: Edward W. Maunder and John Dalton.)

Follow the link above to read in full.

Solar Cycles are something I've been reading up on lately and it is kind of a guessing game when it comes to predicting future cycles with any accuracy. However, once they get going on a path, they seem to follow a pretty regular pattern throughout their cycle. Additionally there appear to be multi-cycle patterns as well - but with the usual potential for spikes and variance these are much harder to identify in any statisitically meaningful way.

You ran away from that in the last thread - so if you want to start a new thread on the issue how about we revisit your lack of basic knowledge on that same subject?

You see what I did right there? I replied to you on a SUBSTANTIVE point you got wrong. I didn't come back and impune your integrity - I showed where you were wrong about the facts. Now you try....

Ahh no, i think i just went about my business and got tired of providing space for even more widely disputed evidence. The information i was reffering too was a PBS/BBC (ie.gov. funded channel) style news story that took into account the end of a solar cycle, and the expected "real" global warming temp. effects that will become more severe.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
Sqrl said:

You ran away from that in the last thread - so if you want to start a new thread on the issue how about we revisit your lack of basic knowledge on that same subject?

You see what I did right there? I replied to you on a SUBSTANTIVE point you got wrong. I didn't come back and impune your integrity - I showed where you were wrong about the facts. Now you try....

Ahh no, i think i just went about my business and got tired of providing space for even more widely disputed evidence. The information i was reffering too was a PBS/BBC (ie.gov. funded channel) style news story that took into account the end of a solar cycle, and the expected "real" global warming temp. effects that will become more severe.

So you just got bored right as I pointed out you were wrong and provided new information to that effect? 

Thank you for proving my point again.  Anyone with a basic level of intellectual curiosity would have been far from bored but instead intrigued to learn abou this new information that had previously escaped them.  "Boredom" tells me you were not interested in learning about your mistake, which in turn speaks volumes about your motivations.  At the very least it shows a lack of basic intellectual curiosity on this issue.

PS - Did you just say that NASA's SC predictions are "widely disputed evidence"?  Because I wasn't presenting them as evidence against AGW for one and for two I'm kind of surprised at that dismissive a view of NASAs prediction. Interesting.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
CrazyHorse said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Is it fare to say your position is climate change is happening, but it’s unclear the root cause?

Apologies for that comment, I didn't mean it to sound quite so flippant .

To be perfectly honest I don't know where my position lies. I would say that I think there is sufficiently strong evidence to suggest that greenhouse gases may have been a factor in previous natural climate cycles and that therefore manmade emissions (which have caused CO2 levels to rise higher than anytime over the past 0.5 million years) is at least a cause for concern. As others have pointed out, it is a given that these gases do trap heat, however, the degree of this effect is unclear. There are so many other feedback factors that affect the climate that it is too difficult to make any sort of accurate predicition. For example, if temperatures increases then ice melts. Ice is the best reflector of sunlight and so as it diminishes, temperatures increase and more ice melts ect. Then again, as ice volume decreases it is easier for ice to accumulate at ice cap margins and so ice grows and temperatures decrease. There are many other examples and so any current models are just that, models based on the best data available but in no way certain.

So, I think global warming is possible (and most likely probable) with continued high emmissions but this change could be anything from miniscule to quite severe.

Sqrl said:
megaman79 said:
Sqrl said:

So you just got bored right as I pointed out you were wrong and provided new information to that effect?

Thank you for proving my point again. Anyone with a basic level of intellectual curiosity would have been far from bored but instead intrigued to learn abou this new information that had previously escaped them. "Boredom" tells me you were not interested in learning about your mistake, which in turn speaks volumes about your motivations. At the very least it shows a lack of basic intellectual curiosity on this issue.

PS - Did you just say that NASA's SC predictions are "widely disputed evidence"? Because I wasn't presenting them as evidence against AGW for one and for two I'm kind of surprised at that dismissive a view of NASAs prediction. Interesting.

That same article disputes the effect of those sun spot decreases/increases so i dk why you think that is backing up your defense that they are responsible for temp. changes. I don't actually understand why someone can debate the quality of measurements within the country, the region or the entire earth and then argue that solar effects are a stronger influece. 

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

CrazyHorse said:
TheRealMafoo said:
CrazyHorse said:
TheRealMafoo said:

Apologies for that comment, I didn't mean it to sound quite so flippant .

To be perfectly honest I don't know where my position lies. I would say that I think there is sufficiently strong evidence to suggest that greenhouse gases may have been a factor in previous natural climate cycles and that therefore manmade emissions (which have caused CO2 levels to rise higher than anytime over the past 0.5 million years) is at least a cause for concern. As others have pointed out, it is a given that these gases do trap heat, however, the degree of this effect is unclear. There are so many other feedback factors that affect the climate that it is too difficult to make any sort of accurate predicition. For example, if temperatures increases then ice melts. Ice is the best reflector of sunlight and so as it diminishes, temperatures increase and more ice melts ect. Then again, as ice volume decreases it is easier for ice to accumulate at ice cap margins and so ice grows and temperatures decrease. There are many other examples and so any current models are just that, models based on the best data available but in no way certain.

So, I think global warming is possible (and most likely probable) with continued high emmissions but this change could be anything from miniscule to quite severe.

Then we have the same opinion. I know the world is changing, I just have yet to see anything that tells me why. The #1 source of energy, is without question, the Sun. I am going to think the obvious (the sun heats up, we heat up. The sun cools down, we cool down) until some shows me evidence to the contrary.

So far, that's been the case.

megaman79 said:
Sqrl said:
megaman79 said:

Thank you for proving my point again. Anyone with a basic level of intellectual curiosity would have been far from bored but instead intrigued to learn abou this new information that had previously escaped them. "Boredom" tells me you were not interested in learning about your mistake, which in turn speaks volumes about your motivations. At the very least it shows a lack of basic intellectual curiosity on this issue.

PS - Did you just say that NASA's SC predictions are "widely disputed evidence"? Because I wasn't presenting them as evidence against AGW for one and for two I'm kind of surprised at that dismissive a view of NASAs prediction. Interesting.

That same article disputes the effect of those sun spot decreases/increases so i dk why you think that is backing up your defense that they are responsible for temp. changes. I don't actually understand why someone can debate the quality of measurements within the country, the region or the entire earth and then argue that solar effects are a stronger influece. 

I never stated my views on Solar climate influence, you assumed them.

I pointed out that your assessment that the new solar cycle was going to mean "IT IS GETTING HOTTER FASTER." was wrong.  Something the article definitely supports.  You were substantively wrong about the implications of the upcoming SC and demonstrably so.

Now, you are making assumptions about my views as a defense to that mistake.

Ok, lets take a breath and just make this easy:

Megaman could you address the question that I asked you to answer twice before?

To restate for your convenience: Have you taken the time to read the substance of any of the research papers I linked?

If so:
What are your thoughts on their discussion of Solar Variability?
What are your thoughts on their discussion of Feedback Factors and Radiative Forcing from just ONE of the sections in that chapter (you can choose the section)?
What are your thoughts on any aspect of the substance presented in the paper at all?

Note - the fingerprint thing I mentioned above is discussed on page 106-107.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

If not:
In that case we are quite done. I won't subject myself to a discussion where I'm expected to supply seemingly endless information that won't be taken into account or discussed even.