By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Climate Change, No peer reviewed evidence to prove it isn't happening

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:

edit - I scaled it down so the graphic could be seen in full - Sqrl

These are all well and interesting citations but can you associate the melting of any of these (and I know several of these citations to be false as I've already shown the NSIDC data disproves the antartic claim) to anthropogenic carbon levels?

Glaciers have advanced and retreated by natural means for millions of years, linking it to man is the hard part - not showing that some glaciers are melting - I would be MORE surprised if you couldn't find examples of retreating glaciers.

To Each Man, Responsibility
megaman79 said:

I appreciate that we are getting to the subtance but I wonder why you aren't commenting - do you understand any of this or am I simply to debate everyone who has ever held a view close to yours and posted about it on the internet?

As for the video it points to low ice coverage over the artic region which I already posted data supporting.  This in no way controverts anything I've posted or disagrees with anything I've said.  In fact the 2007 artic ice data, the year they point to as significantly low, is a year that is graphed on the graph I chose to post.

Note however that they point out that 2007 was a record low for sea ice extent and then they point out the 2008 recovered to normal levels.  But they take exception to the 2008 sea ice pointing to an "abundance of first-year ice"...well yeah...most of the older ice melted last year...so you're going to get first-year ice.  It makes no sense to pan the 2008 ice recovery for that reason - it was always going to be the case no matter what the long term trend ends up being.

In the interest of accuracy I went and grabbed the most up to date data from NSIDC:

It is painfully obvious there is a disconnect here and that you cannot simply declare the artic sea ice reductions a symptom of global warming or global "climate change".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/26/climate-change-obama-administration

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
megaman79 said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/jul/26/climate-change-obama-administration

As was already discussed 2007 artic sea ice extent was a record low, something that I posted the first data for in this thread, and something that I brought up to begin with.  Continuing to post more evidence only re-inforces what I've already said and further proves my point.

Just a few points on the ice sheet data that you are both presenting. The data concerning the growth/shrinking of ice caps over the period of years is largely irrelevant as seasonally variations will cloud the longer term trends. Also, initial growth of ice sheets is not uncommon during atmospheric warming as increased temperatures lead to increased precipitation. The problem would occur when temperatures reach the point where ice begins to melt faster that than it can form. Ice sheets tend to have a very slow response time to external forcing, in particular temperature with the Antartic being amongst the slowest and greenland being somewhat faster (~10,000's and 1000's of years respectively).

EDIT: I suppose then I largely agree with SQRL, current ice sheet data cannot really be used to prove/disprove climate change or atmospheric warming. Most current studies looking into ice sheet dynamics are investigating how they might respond to a warming atmosphere, not that they already are.

CrazyHorse said:

Just a few points on the ice sheet data that you are both presenting. The data concerning the growth/shrinking of ice caps over the period of years is largely irrelevant as seasonally variations will cloud the longer term trends. Also, initial growth of ice sheets is not uncommon during atmospheric warming as increased temperatures lead to increased precipitation. The problem would occur when temperatures reach the point where ice begins to melt faster that than it can form. Ice sheets tend to have a very slow response time to external forcing, in particular temperature with the Antartic being amongst the slowest and greenland being somewhat faster (~10,000's and 1000's of years respectively).

So your saying what we are seeing with respect to ice sheets is due to a thousand years ago, or longer?

CrazyHorse said:

In regards to the first point, the graphs I posted from the NSIDC compare equivalent days from year to year and the sea ice extent graphs from august compare have the mean overlayed from that date, not a mean of overall year round extent.  In effect the seasonal effects are removed as an issue by examining on a smaller timescale.

As for initial growth during warming I agree, however the temperature data (ground and satellite) doesn't indicate it (ie the globe) has been warming, but rather cooling slightly, over the last several years.

Finally, with regards to response times what you've posted is essentially true (and is the truth behind a common missperception about the rate of ice melt)..but not only for ice sheets, but glaciers as well.

megaman79 said:
This just makes me angry. NKAJ, you believe what you want to believe. The majority of opinion just isn't this gullible anymore.

what did i do that angered you?

im being serious here,what actually did i do to offend you?

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"