By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Game Over for 360?

SlorgNet said:
Microsoft is in trouble, no question. Halo 3 is selling to... the people who bought Halo 1 and 2. Most of the 360's games mentioned in this thread as system sellers are nothing of the sort - they're shooters, action games and whatnot, that's 20% of the game market. Sales of the 360 are getting a holiday boost, but at $350, they really should be selling double their current rate.

It's their own fault. RRoD, disk scratching, hot and noisy consoles, no built-in next-gen DVD, etc. -- all self-inflicted wounds.

And now Bungie, the crown jewel, is leaving Microsoft. That speaks volumes about Microsoft's stagnant company culture, its inability to be anything other than just another giant corporate monopolist -- like AT&T, only with better marketing. It's depressing, because I really wanted someone to keep Sony honest at the high end of the market. Someone else will have to do the job - maybe Samsung.

wheres your facts, i have quite a few friends who never owned a xbox, yet are getting a 360 and halo come these holidays, i myself didnt own a xbox, so its rather sad to say it will only sell to fans. Ok so if 360 does not get game boosts, then ps3 have nothing to say that 2008 will be a great year for sony, cause according to you games dont boost sales, at least for 360, but if you use logic, it wouldnt boost ps3 sales then. Its leaving microsoft, but every thing ive read said MS can turn this into a very good thing, and its a good thing for gamers, they are still pretty much exclusive to 360 at least for a while, and they are making new IP for 360, how is this a bad thing for MS?

If ANY company is in trouble, sony is, having to drop the price, almost twice, in less then a year, and making themselves lose even more money, just so they hope to actually REACH 360 sales lvls

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
Microsoft is in trouble, no question. Halo 3 is selling to... the people who bought Halo 1 and 2. Most of the 360's games mentioned in this thread as system sellers are nothing of the sort - they're shooters, action games and whatnot, that's 20% of the game market. Sales of the 360 are getting a holiday boost, but at $350, they really should be selling double their current rate.

It's their own fault. RRoD, disk scratching, hot and noisy consoles, no built-in next-gen DVD, etc. -- all self-inflicted wounds.

And now Bungie, the crown jewel, is leaving Microsoft. That speaks volumes about Microsoft's stagnant company culture, its inability to be anything other than just another giant corporate monopolist -- like AT&T, only with better marketing. It's depressing, because I really wanted someone to keep Sony honest at the high end of the market. Someone else will have to do the job - maybe Samsung.

Lets take your points one by one. "Microsoft is in trouble, no question." ~ Well, Many people have questions about your logic. Point dismissed. "Halo 3 is selling to... the people who bought Halo 1 and 2." ~ Clearly, you do not speak for millions of people who purchased Halo 3. Infact, I didn't purchase halo 2 but I purchased halo 3 and I'm just one person. Point dismissed. "Most of the 360's games mentioned in this thread as system sellers are nothing of the sort - they're shooters, action games and whatnot, that's 20% of the game market. " ~ Using the very basic logic the software that sells the most is most likely to be considered a system seller. Point dismissed. "It's their own fault." ~ Market forces have nothing to do with anything? Point dismissed. "Sales of the 360 are getting a holiday boost, but at $350, they really should be selling double their current rate. " ~ Holiday sales don't pick up until after Thanksgiving. Point dismissed but for greater overemphasis PS3 sales are 50% of what was expected. "RRoD, disk scratching, hot and noisy consoles, no built-in next-gen DVD, etc. -- all self-inflicted wounds." ~ Well you have one good point. RRoD was an issue. Everything else you tried to blame is insignificant or just wrong. I would argue that by not including 'next gen DVD' they sold MORE not less because of price. Point dismissed. "And now Bungie, the crown jewel, is leaving Microsoft. That speaks volumes about Microsoft's stagnant company culture, its inability to be anything other than just another giant corporate monopolist -- like AT&T, only with better marketing." ~ Bungie leaving Microsoft could be a good thing. Giving a developer creative independence is often the most successful option. Perhaps Microsoft understands this. The rest of your statement was pure bias opinion. Point Dismissed. "It's depressing, because I really wanted someone to keep Sony honest at the high end of the market. Someone else will have to do the job - maybe Samsung." ~ Keeping Sony honest? Its not the job of other companies it is the job of the consumer and regulatory entities. Point Dismissed.

All 360 needs is an $100 price cut... but they should od it once the 4th quarter ends so they have a better fiannacial statment to woo investors. Then BAM! $100 price cut

The logic is definitely sound. How can any of you not understand it? It's like this. In France and Spain, the PS3 outsells the 360 by about 1000 each a week. So the 360 = doomed in Europe. Of course, the PS3 is outselling the 360 by a massive 10 - 1 ratio on average in Japan, so 360 = doomed. Of course, we don't need to talk about America, where the 360 has just outsold the PS3 by 100,000 units this week. America isn't the world, Americans are arrogant to think they matter the most. People should look at Spain and Finland and stuff. Then you can see how the PS3 is totally winning.

white devil said:
The logic is definitely sound. How can any of you not understand it? It's like this. In France and Spain, the PS3 outsells the 360 by about 1000 each a week. So the 360 = doomed in Europe. Of course, the PS3 is outselling the 360 by a massive 10 - 1 ratio on average in Japan, so 360 = doomed. Of course, we don't need to talk about America, where the 360 has just outsold the PS3 by 100,000 units this week. America isn't the world, Americans are arrogant to think they matter the most. People should look at Spain and Finland and stuff. Then you can see how the PS3 is totally winning.

But when it is far and way the largest market on Earth, it is the most important. That's just common sense.

You can combine all the Finlands, Switzerlands, New Zealands, etc. you want and they won't even scratch the surface of the American market.

It goes like this:

NA>>Japan>>UK>>>>>>Germany/France>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everybody else.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
white devil said:

are you truley serious its more like about 4 to 6 times more in japan, only selling about 10k more, in america 360 is selling 90 THOUSAND more every week no only that, but 360 is winning in alot of countrys in europe, and mostly the bigger ones

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
rocketpig said:
white devil said:

But when it is far and way the largest market on Earth, it is the most important. That's just common sense.

You can combine all the Finlands, Switzerlands, New Zealands, etc. you want and they won't even scratch the surface of the American market.

It goes like this:

NA>>Japan>>UK>>>>>>Germany/France>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everybody else.

to quote slashdot

the joke ----->

you ------------>  o
                      -+-
                       ^

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Diomedes you are worse than Leo-J, Soriku, Hus, etc. Your continued deterioration as poster reaches new lows with each post. As someone that is obviously a fan of Sony, attacking another another hardware manufacturer's reliability is the last thing you should be doing. Both the PS1 and PS2 were known for their reliability issues. Thats not even including the dead pixel and button sticking issues the PSP had. While I am anything but satisfied with the 360s reliability issues at least MS didn't have to lose a class action lawsuit to address the problem.

Furthermore your characterization of the 360's game lineup is laughable at best. If what you say is true, what does that say about the PS3 lineup. The PS3 lineup is less diverse than the 360's. In genres that the PS2 had a great advantage over the X-box, the PS3 loses out to the 360. I hope you are Sony shareholder or have some other personal vested interest in Sony's success. If your ability to pay bills and put food on the table is not directly affected by Sony's financial status, you really should seek some sort of professional help. You are an adult, not a teenager. Act like one.

omgwtfbbq said:

to quote slashdot

the joke ----->

you ------------>  o
                      -+-
                       ^

D'oh!

Around here, it's hard to tell if someone, even with the most insane logic ever, is still serious or not.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

The Sony fanboys are sounding more and more bitter all the time. Whats wrong with you guys.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )