By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Game Over for 360?

friedtofu said:
The Sony fanboys are sounding more and more bitter all the time. Whats wrong with you guys.

Its been a bad week for Sony (or more appropriately a bad year for Sony) ...

I think a lot of them were surprised by the announcement of Moster Hunter 3 for the Wii and never considered the possibility that major game franchises would move to the more popular Wii.

Around the Network

lol everyone ignored me. w/e then...

but anywho this whole console war thing is really getting me jaded. I don't freaking care if Sony wins anymore. I just want to enjoy my damn games.

Nope.

I think the Sony fans are having a meltdown. Not that they were particularly sane to begin with. You have to love some of these Sony fans. I am shocked that room temperature IQs actually have access to the internet, and can function in a primitive manner. May the gods of the internet help us when these kooks go nova. Which seems quite soon.

For instance if Sony loses two more games from the catalog these guys have canonized, or say the forty does not increase sales drastically. They will give themselves over to the rapture, and run riot through these forums like a pack of rabid animals. Ending in a day long peon revolution which the mods will have to smash with iron fists. Then will come the rational silence.

Ironically I have talked to people in the grips of some powerful drugs. That were not only more coherent, but easier to rationalize with. Thats why it is so difficult to believe these people are actually serious. Part of me screams out these have to be trolls, and I should ignore them. Now I realize my gut reaction is right I should ignore them no matter what they are. Why waste valuable time. When I can just write "As you can tell the original poster is not terribly bright," Then move along.

Its all because PS3 is undertracked in Spain, plus I see 360s sitting in stores all the time here.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Last gen, XBox was a viable console with 24 million sold in (essentially) 2 markets over 5 years. In two years, the 360 is up to half that mark, and is likely to at least match it, and that'd be the worst case scenario. Odds are better that price drops and a growing library will escalate the upside, and have it end far north of the XB's total.

mr-money said:
I should also note that this is a PS3 victory over 360. I still expect Wii to win overall.

I dont expect that to happen. The 360 is currently cementing itself very nicely into an almost certain 2nd place behind the Wii. They have sold a lot of software consistently for a long while. I imagine the PS3 will be stone dead by the end of 2008. The PS2 is the PS3s biggest problem. The PS2 is a collosal beast that just refuses to die. The PS2 will still be outselling the PS3 in 12 months time im sure. The only way the PS3 will gather any ground is if they get more consoles into homes, which isnt going to happen while it has a blue ray player inside it and is retailing for such a ridiculously high price compared to the other 2. Plus Sony at some point will likley dump the PS3 & just figure they can give the PS2 away for $50 and still easily compete and make a profit (albeit in 3rd place) for the next 5 years untill the next gen.

I would like to ask the PS3 fans a question....When do you predict the PS3 will start to shift more units than the PS2? I dont mean in total, that is obviously never going to happen, I mean on a weekly basis. Its just that with the relative price of the 2 consoles, I cant see the the PS3 outselling something that is 5 times as good yet a quarter of the price.

mr-money said:
The 360 is all you could really want in a console. Pretty much affordable, unbeatable range of games, unparalleled online etc. But yet, it is dying sales-wise.

As we all know, Halo and the 360 are dependent on each other. One cannot thrive without the other.

Halo 3 was just released, and achieved enormous, unparalleled first day sales. But yet, how did the 360 sell around Halo time? Twice as well, yes. But now it's died down again, and still, 360 lags behind the Wii overall.

So my point is: The 360's big seller has come and gone, and the worldwide sales picture has barely changed. Not only that, but the 360 is 2 years into its lifecycle. Microsoft wants a 4 year cycle, so it's hard to believe the 360 will get much higher than 20m sold in its entire lifespan. When PS3 gets hot in 2008 it will feel fresh. At this same time, the 360 will feel 3 years old.

Now you might be saying: 360 consistently has the best selling version of multiplatform games. And thus, 3rd parties don't care about the userbase, as long as loads of people are buying their games. Those statements are true, but the PS3 is upcoming.

We all know PlayStation is the top brand name. We all know the price cuts have already started and will continue. We all know that development kits will continue for the PS3, allowing more games to be made, quickly for the PS3. I've also heard a lot of people considering the PS3 for this Christmas due to the new UK price cut.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but PS3 seems very likely to win now.

The only thing that can halt the thing is a lack of games, so you're going to have to assume the dev tools improve drastically.

Is this a serious statement??? PS3 sales are sooo stale right now. If the cheaper 40 gig doesn't have the impact it should, we could see some major problems with the PS3 in the near future.

Just kiss the tip.

mr-money said:
The 360 is all you could really want in a console. Pretty much affordable, unbeatable range of games, unparalleled online etc. But yet, it is dying sales-wise.

As we all know, Halo and the 360 are dependent on each other. One cannot thrive without the other.

Halo 3 was just released, and achieved enormous, unparalleled first day sales. But yet, how did the 360 sell around Halo time? Twice as well, yes. But now it's died down again, and still, 360 lags behind the Wii overall.

So my point is: The 360's big seller has come and gone, and the worldwide sales picture has barely changed. Not only that, but the 360 is 2 years into its lifecycle. Microsoft wants a 4 year cycle, so it's hard to believe the 360 will get much higher than 20m sold in its entire lifespan. When PS3 gets hot in 2008 it will feel fresh. At this same time, the 360 will feel 3 years old.

Now you might be saying: 360 consistently has the best selling version of multiplatform games. And thus, 3rd parties don't care about the userbase, as long as loads of people are buying their games. Those statements are true, but the PS3 is upcoming.

We all know PlayStation is the top brand name. We all know the price cuts have already started and will continue. We all know that development kits will continue for the PS3, allowing more games to be made, quickly for the PS3. I've also heard a lot of people considering the PS3 for this Christmas due to the new UK price cut.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but PS3 seems very likely to win now.

The only thing that can halt the thing is a lack of games, so you're going to have to assume the dev tools improve drastically.

The PS3 is gaining ground only in a % share of the market, which is how percentages work. It's actually pretty easy to do given that Sony had 0% a year ago.

In actuality, world wide, week in, week out, the 360 is outselling the PS3 by a considerable margin. Which means it's lead continues to grow. Yes, it is not growing AS FAST as it once was, but the distance between the two systems continues to widen. Until the PS3 manages to outsell the Wii, 360, or PS2 consistently, there is no real basis for suggesting the PS3 will pass the 360.

As for rep, from my own conversations with students, the PS brand has crashed dramatically. Every day for two weeks the kids have been talking Halo 3. Many laugh at the PS3 because they feel betrayed by a company that decided $600 was  agood price for a console. Releasing 4 versions of the console - actually scrapping two of the models in the process - within a year, and having 2 rounds of price cuts does not instill confidence in the consumer. It all reeks of a company desperately trying to save itself.

And there is nothing I see the PS3 doing in the next year that 360 can't match, particularly in terms of lineup and price cuts. 

Dodece said:
I think the Sony fans are having a meltdown. Not that they were particularly sane to begin with. You have to love some of these Sony fans. I am shocked that room temperature IQs actually have access to the internet, and can function in a primitive manner. May the gods of the internet help us when these kooks go nova. Which seems quite soon.

For instance if Sony loses two more games from the catalog these guys have canonized, or say the forty does not increase sales drastically. They will give themselves over to the rapture, and run riot through these forums like a pack of rabid animals. Ending in a day long peon revolution which the mods will have to smash with iron fists. Then will come the rational silence.

Ironically I have talked to people in the grips of some powerful drugs. That were not only more coherent, but easier to rationalize with. Thats why it is so difficult to believe these people are actually serious. Part of me screams out these got to be trolls, and I should ignore them. Now I realize my get reaction is right I should ignore them no matter what they are. Why waste valuable time. When I can just right as you can tell the original poster is not terribly right, and move along.

Dodece said:
Please for the sake of the sanity of every fellow poster do not post any more of these virtual offering threads. Lest the Microsoft and Nintendo boosters fire back with the same. Think about what your are doing. Nintendo digs up and sells three oldies every Tuesday. Microsoft is a veritable avalanche of goodies. They rent movies over the marketplace and sell old television shows. Do we really want every single update on this site. That was something that always made this site different. No mountain of virtual garbage to sort through.

Besides does any owner actually need someone on this forum to tell them what they console should tell them in the first place anyway?

What does that last sentence mean? When I asked you before, you claimed I was Hus (for no reason) and left the thread. Sometimes you make reasonable posts, but others are just like this one above. Was your room temperature IQ "below freezing" when you made that post? Yes most of the Sony fanboys make irrational comments on these forums, and some should be ignored. But you have little room to criticise.

I'll take the case!!!