By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Game Over for 360?

The 360 is all you could really want in a console. Pretty much affordable, unbeatable range of games, unparalleled online etc. But yet, it is dying sales-wise.

As we all know, Halo and the 360 are dependent on each other. One cannot thrive without the other.

Halo 3 was just released, and achieved enormous, unparalleled first day sales. But yet, how did the 360 sell around Halo time? Twice as well, yes. But now it's died down again, and still, 360 lags behind the Wii overall.

So my point is: The 360's big seller has come and gone, and the worldwide sales picture has barely changed. Not only that, but the 360 is 2 years into its lifecycle. Microsoft wants a 4 year cycle, so it's hard to believe the 360 will get much higher than 20m sold in its entire lifespan. When PS3 gets hot in 2008 it will feel fresh. At this same time, the 360 will feel 3 years old.

Now you might be saying: 360 consistently has the best selling version of multiplatform games. And thus, 3rd parties don't care about the userbase, as long as loads of people are buying their games. Those statements are true, but the PS3 is upcoming.

We all know PlayStation is the top brand name. We all know the price cuts have already started and will continue. We all know that development kits will continue for the PS3, allowing more games to be made, quickly for the PS3. I've also heard a lot of people considering the PS3 for this Christmas due to the new UK price cut.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but PS3 seems very likely to win now.

The only thing that can halt the thing is a lack of games, so you're going to have to assume the dev tools improve drastically.

Around the Network

I should also note that this is a PS3 victory over 360. I still expect Wii to win overall.

Ummm. 360 beat Wii again this week WW. It's sales actually increased over last week, and given last week was when Halo 3 launched, that is very impressive.

360 will do better than xbox this gen in terms of sales. As for gen ranking, I am still leaning to 360 being 3rd. But, PS3 is not going to be far away.

um, 360 hardware is not down according to our charts

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Yes, we all know Halo 3 came out. And that increased 360 sales temporarily. I know. I said that in my post.

But this was a very small spike in sales, and now it's decreasing.

Around the Network

Honestly, I am hoping it dies and PS3 takes over. This has less to do w/ fanboyism and more to do w/ dislike for MS. However, it still has has a chance to take 2nd.

mr-money said:
Those statements are true, but the PS3 is upcoming.

How so, exactly?

Anyway, old hardware never turned away customers before and it's unlikely to do so now, especially with the 360 maintaining a price advantage for at least the next three years.

Remember that by slashing hardware and costs so much so early, Sony is forcing themselves into a corner. They can't keep up these cuts in the longterm which will force them to sit at one price point for quite some time, whether it happens now or later.

MS already sat on their hardware price for nearly two years before shaving a measly $50 off the Pro. Right now, they have to be sitting very pretty in relation to their hardware costs vs. price points. If things start to go south for them, expect a Pro for $300 or less shortly thereafter, putting them square in Joe Consumer's price point.

And just because Halo is out now doesn't mean that the game will suddenly go away. Every time the 360 drops its price, expect to see another small spike in Halo 3 sales as people pick up the console for Halo when it reaches a price they're willing to pay.

And that's not even mentioning Mass Effect, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Too Human, etc. along with GTA IV, Assassin's Creed, and the rest of the multi-plat games releasing. When given the choice between the same game on two systems, a good portion of customers will choose the cheaper platform first no matter what. That alone will ensure some sales for the 360 in 2008.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think M$ are bad for this industry

thats why I want 360 to fail

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

360 is GOOD for the industry. Seriously... think about what you just said. If the 360 wasn't here and doing well, you'd still be looking a $600 PS3s... Competition almost always works out for the customer....

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Is it Game Over for 360?

Not quite. They still have a safe barrier between them and Sony, marketshare-wise. And this 40GB thing better workout for Sony, or the next question will be, "Is it Game Over for PS3?"