By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devil May Cry 4 to 360, PC

zukaus said: Kwaad, you could use the exact same argument for the current console war except replace Blue-Ray with the Wii and HD-DVD with PS3. Like this... Wii has already won. Every 3 Wii (systems/games) sold... You get 1 PS3 (system/game). The gap is growing.
No, you can't use the same argument. You can't tell that 46.90 % of market supports exclusively Wii (share of Fox, Sony-Columbia, MGM, Lionsgate and Disney; HD-DVD has exclusive support of Universal and Weinstein - around 11 % of market share).

Around the Network

@zukaus you perfectly explained how blind people can be to support their side. nice post :)

kber81 said: No, you can't use the same argument. You can't tell that 46.90 % of market supports exclusively Wii (share of Fox, Sony-Columbia, MGM, Lionsgate and Disney; HD-DVD has exclusive support of Universal and Weinstein - around 11 % of market share).
Kwaad's previous post was about how Bluray is beating HD-DVD in sales and how he thinks that means Bluray has already won the next gen video format war. The argument was about sales, not who has more studio/developer support. And thank you Vienna, I too hate this blind loyalty that always seems to come about when talking about games.

zukaus said: Kwaad's previous post was about how Bluray is beating HD-DVD in sales and how he thinks that means Bluray has already won the next gen video format war. The argument was about sales, not who has more studio support.
Yes, I do know about what was the previous post. You didn't get my point. You oversimplify. Sale of Blu-Ray discs comes directly from studio support. Most big titles comes on blu-ray - it will not change.

kber81, I do get your point. Bluray has more support and will benefit in sales from that. So what? I was not trying to argue about which video format will succeed or fail. I think you are not getting my point. Namely that Kwaad is blindly loyal to Sony, PS3, and Blueray and will use the numbers and statistics when they suit his purpose and disregard them when it doesn't fit into his argument.

Around the Network

There is no reason to point he is "blindly loyal". Everyone here knows Kwaad's logic. The most lame thing about him - he tries to prove how moderate he is by pointing "flame" of other "sony's supporters" ("If I were a mod I would ban Death", Washimul is fanatic, kber81 is off-topic and so on) and pretending to be a multiplatform freelance gamer. It's lame. It's damn lame. Anyway in this certain situation he's right. Blu-ray already won.

kber81 said: I don't know what kind of CRT- HDTV you are using but models (Samsung SW32Z419, Philips 32PW9551/12) I was testing aren't so cool at all. Colours are great (black is really black) but sharpness and geometry are poor (menus looks really deformed around corners - especially on this slim Samsung) I also prefer LCD because it's much more eye-friendly. Just my opinion, maybe you are using something much more superior than CRT I know.
When I was looking into the TV I bought there were lots of sites/reviews complaining about how in the span of 1 year the quality of image produced by certain TVs dropped dramatically ... As you can probably imagine this cause several conspiracy theories on web-forums ... What really happened is that CRT TVs became more expensive to produce than they could be sold for and most manufacturers reduced the quality of the components ... The TV I bought was an off brand and the reason I choose it was because it was cheap yet still had good image quality.

kber81 said: zukaus said: Kwaad's previous post was about how Bluray is beating HD-DVD in sales and how he thinks that means Bluray has already won the next gen video format war. The argument was about sales, not who has more studio support. Yes, I do know about what was the previous post. You didn't get my point. You oversimplify. Sale of Blu-Ray discs comes directly from studio support. Most big titles comes on blu-ray - it will not change.
Ah, look at the topic of this thread. What makes you so sure that this will not change? A million + PS3's were sold over the last couple of months in this country. Of course the sales spiked for BluRay. However, do you really think that if the sales of PS3 do not start to improve and BluRay sales flatten out that some of the BluRay exclusive studios will not consider going with HD DVD in at least dual support? Sony is losing exclusives on PS3 and they are bound to for BluRay. I have said all along I think they both will fail, but I think HD DVD will go down with the HD format, not because of BluRay.

yeah, it looks like neither blu ray nor hd dvd are gonna do what DVD did to videos. i'd much rather get DVD quality, or even VCD quality, if i can just turn on my iTV or whatever box they have by then and pick a movie of my choice that i have already purchased. if i can do away with stashes of DVDs, i would. i wouldn't even care if the movie is stored on the hard disk... if they can make streaming fast enough. in fact it'll be much more elegant that way. you know, like gmail and google online spreadsheets and documents. i do all of my casual stuff on google spreadsheet and word these days. do i miss the bells and whistles of MS word? not really. being mobile FAR outweighs the nicer formating and whatever features. blu-ray and HD dvd are at best a transitional or niche technology.

the Wii is an epidemic.

ah, VCD reminds me of something. in china, the economic boom started after VHS was commonplace in the west, so the first video player most households owned was a VCD player. DVD came along just a bit latter than the VCDs, but its adoption rate was VERY slow. movies slowly migrated to the DVD, but even nowadays, when it comes to TV series, most releases in china are still on VCD's, not DVDs. plus, VCD's appeals to the price sensitive crowd. VCD never gained ground in the US since the DVD entered the market almost immediately afterwards. DVD to VCD is exactly like HD to DVD. there's no good reason why consumer would flock to it when there's a perfectly capable, and much cheaper, substitute on the market. the natural progression will go like: VHS-->DVD-->online delivery. online delivery would almost certainly be widely available in a years time--a lot of companies are already positioning themselves for that, google for more info.

the Wii is an epidemic.