By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Orange Box - Impressions?

Orange Box is out!

It's out for PC as well as 360.

It includes:

Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode 1
Half Life 2: Episode 2
Portal
Team Fortress 2

I prepurchased it for $45 on Steam, I played a bit of Portal late last night, and I've already got 50+ hours of TF2 under my belt over the past couple weeks.

Amazing!  Portal's dark, dry, humor from the announcer over the speakers is great...constantly informing me that if I make a mistake, I may get a mark against my grade, as well as death...haha.  I've only gone through the first 8 or so puzzles, but they get increasingly complicated, and I'm guessing later puzzles will be quite tricky. 

TF2 is one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had...the multiple classes are all a blast to play, the teamwork is great, the visuals and graphics are amazing, whether it's on 360 or PC.

Half Life 2 is my second favorite game of all time...Smash Bros Melee being higher and Zelda: Ocarina of Time being one lower.  So you can see what I think of this game.  It is epic, and great fun. 

Episode 1 was a great continuation, it was great having Alyx help you out.  Short, yes, but that allows Episode 2 to come out in time, with better graphics as well.

Haven't played Episode 2 yet, will tonight.  Post impressions!

EDIT:  Also, a HUGE benefit of buying the PC versions is MODS.  There are a TON of VERY FUN mods out there, where people fully convert Half Life 2 and make a game of thier own...or perhaps just modify Half Life 2, like SMOD, where damage is more realistic, your weapons are more realistic, there's bullettime slow-motion, etc.  There's mods like Half Life 2: CTF, Dodgeball, Garry's Mod (super SUPER fun, but I think you need Counter Strike and HL2: DeathMatch to play this).

And again...you do NOT need a high end computer to play these games...even the new ones.  If your computer was built in the past 4 years or so, or was a high end computer that long ago, it'd probably be able to play these games smoothly enough.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Yeah, I'm excited to get this after I get off of work in a couple hours here. Too many good games I have right now!! I have such a hard time deciding with game I'll play each night.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

My thoughts?

Tastes like burning! (I won't be playing EP2 or Portal until I get over this TF2 addiction)

ahhhhhhhhh... 8 more days till it's out in the UK

My 8800GTS and Q6600 are ready to Push HL2: E1,2,P, TF2 to the max, HL2 looked great on my old 9800Pro so I can't wait to see what my new rig does with it, should be super smooth.

I just want to start "thinking in portals".

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Portal is pretty awesome. I've only played for about an hour or so, and of course I've played TF2 for 20+ hours over the last few weeks. The difficulty curve in Portal is quite good, and I like how the level design gives you subtle clues about where to place your portals. Eventually, they just stop 'helping' you and you're on your own, and you have to use everything you've learned. It's pretty sweet.

Around the Network

When does it come out on PS3?

sooo cant wait to get this

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

I guess I should really consider getting a 360 sometime next year. Hopefully all problems by that time will be ressolved and I won't have to worry about the RROD.

OT: Meh, what's so great about a box thats orange?

That was a joke...or was it?

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Portal and TF2 are awesome. Portal is absolutely hilarious and the level design is brilliant. TF2 is just great in every way. Pyro FTW. I can't really post more detailed impressions right now because I want to get back to playing haha

"It's out for PC as well as 360."

Why PS3 have to wait again? WHY???? *cries*

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"