By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT5 set to outsell Halo3, becoming the best selling HD game

The key thing with Halo 3 is that it hit the ground running at such a level, heck, it even makes Gears 2's impressive opening look shoddy in comparison. I just don't see that happening with Gran Turismo 5, though it will have great legs, I think it'll end up around 6 or 7 million, depending on how much it gets bundled, but my opinion on sales isn't worth much at all.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
Jaycee_Bam said:
Um, I think everyone here is forgetting something. Halo is not in HD. So, it cannot be the highest selling HD game ever.

Ahh, cruel but true.

Im not so sure it's smart to hype ANY game to this level. You will be disappointment.

Orca_Azure said:
I doubt it. That would require 43% of all ps3 owners to buy the game (assuming there are 23 million owners). I just don't see it happening. GT4 sold 10 million on a console that sold about 136 million units.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2): 4.01 million
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3): 4.11 million

Soul Calibur III (PS2): 0.96 million
Soul Calibur IV (PS3): 1.07 million

Total userbase is a poor means of guessing at the potential sales of games. Also if you think total PS3 sales are going to be 23 million by the time GT5 launches you're crazy. If current rumors and leaks are true and the PS3 gets a $100 price drop within the month and GT5 launches in December, then total PS3 sales will most likely be around 28 million in which case the game would only need about a 1/3 of all PS3 owners to buy the game. However, GT5 will not reach 10 million sales instantly. It will do so over the course of about a year and a half, in which case the PS3's userbase will have increased to possibly as high as 50 million by then.

Gran Turismo 5 will have the highest rate of ownership among console owners of any Gran Turismo game.

I doubt it, I think Halo 3 will remain at the top. Especially since it's in a bundle now.

我是广州人

Around the Network

With the new advertising campaign for Halo ODST kickin' in, there will be more Halo 3 copies sold. I mean, Halo is THE game to get for the Xbox360, just like Mario Kart for the Wii.

MS could also release a special edition for the whole Halo trilogy and ODST. Halo + Halo 2 + Halo 3 + Halo ODST for $90 or whatever.

GT5 could match Halo3 just as a bundle with every PS3slim sold.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I possible, but not very likely.

4 ≈ One

why not

if any game it is this one that can achieve this feat

we are talking about the 2nd biggest franchise last gen on consoles (behind GTA)

halo is bundled now i think its going to go past 10 million and not just stop there.
i understand that MGS4 outsold MGS3 even though the install base was smaller but 10million is a whole different story, i expect 6 million to 8million for GT5.

GTA4 and COD4 already pass halo 3.

if you mean exclusive, GT5 have a chance i have to see how big the price cut is.

GT5 sell on legs. and have huge chance to do it