By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next 360 redesign...JASPER

Legend11 said:
superchunk said:

Source

"Microsoft didn’t want you to know about Falcon, and it certainly doesn’t want you to know about its successor Jasper. But that’s another secret we have to unveil.

Jasper is the code name for the next motherboard for the Xbox 360. It will becoming next August, in time for next year’s holiday season. Jasper is going to have a 65-nanometer graphics chip from ATI Technologies, as well as smaller memory chips. That isn’t much information, but it’s enough to tell us about their cost-reduction plan. If you ask me, it’s a bit of a slow pace."

So all Falcon did was reduce the CPU to 65nm, next year will see the GPU reduced? Hmm. Seems like we have another year atleast to see the rrod finally reduce in % of consoles sold.

How do you know that the newest 360s didn't cut down on the % that experience RROD?

I really hope you're on Microsoft's payroll given how much time you spend defending it.

Anyways, looks I'll be beating Halo3 sometime around 2010. 

Around the Network
albionus said:
Legend11 said:
superchunk said:

Source

"Microsoft didn’t want you to know about Falcon, and it certainly doesn’t want you to know about its successor Jasper. But that’s another secret we have to unveil.

Jasper is the code name for the next motherboard for the Xbox 360. It will becoming next August, in time for next year’s holiday season. Jasper is going to have a 65-nanometer graphics chip from ATI Technologies, as well as smaller memory chips. That isn’t much information, but it’s enough to tell us about their cost-reduction plan. If you ask me, it’s a bit of a slow pace."

So all Falcon did was reduce the CPU to 65nm, next year will see the GPU reduced? Hmm. Seems like we have another year atleast to see the rrod finally reduce in % of consoles sold.

How do you know that the newest 360s didn't cut down on the % that experience RROD?

I really hope you're on Microsoft's payroll given how much time you spend defending it.

Anyways, looks I'll be beating Halo3 sometime around 2010. 

I'm a fan of a console with great games, what's wrong with that?

"""""Microsoft didn’t want you to know about Falcon, and it certainly doesn’t want you to know about its successor Jasper. But that’s another secret we have to unveil.""""

==> OF COURSE NO !!

THEY WANT YOU TO KNOW !!

Time to Work !

fazz said:
And still, we are not sure if that will fix the RRODs... when they will stick to a good, stable model?

So, it seems I won't be buying a 360 this year... sigh

Stick to a model? There are 16(!) models of the ps2. Does it mean it was a bad product?

zaphodile said:
fazz said:
And still, we are not sure if that will fix the RRODs... when they will stick to a good, stable model?

Stick to a model? There are 16(!) models of the ps2. Does it mean it was a bad product?

Are those 16 internally different models?

Anyway replacing the insides with cheaper bits is always a good idea, its only changing the actual specs of the machines that annoys me (do we really need 4 different sizes of harddrive Sony?) 

Around the Network
zaphodile said:
fazz said:

In terms of reliability - yes. The PS2 was terrible in that respects, and it's the RROD's thats stopping me from buying a 360 until I know for sure that every model carries at least the Falcon components. The 3 year warranty is a plus of course (my bro just had his recently RROD'd 360 returned today) but it'd be nice to have the assurance that what you're buying is solid.  

Actually........If anyone enjoys reading.....

The Falcon did fix the overheating problems. The overheating problems aren't entirely due to the system heating up. The problem is that it heats up, and with ultra-crappy thermal paste, the paste melts, and separates the GPU from the system.

The Falcon has a much higher quality thermal paste, plus second heatsink. This rapidly reduces both the heat signature, and likelyhood that the thermal paste will separate from the system.

So buy a X360 and have no worries....Given another few weeks, every unit will be a Falcon.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I'd like to see see a link to the reports of a Falcon with RROD. Note, your box doesn't say Falcon (as far as I know). Not all Halo Boxes were Falcon boxes. The only concrete reports I've read show that units with Lot or manufacturing dates past a certain point were Falcon's. The Halo units that I've seen showing RROD were lower lot/earlier manufacturing date.

Please provide a Link, I don't have a 360 yet, and I'm trying to make the decision now...

PE

fazz said:
ssj12 said:
The RRODs are caused by the X Clamps and heat... i doub it will fix it unless it cuts the heat by more then 30 degrees.

X Clamps are heatsink stuff right? So, if you have the (mad) skill(z), you can mod your 360 and fix it yourself?

Not the perfect thing, but may be the answer for people like me who are tired of waiting.

Aye you can, I've done it to two of my xboxes, as long as you don't "towel fix" it too much before, you can recover it.

The problem is that the cooling design of the 90-nanometer 360 doesn’t hold up. The cooling of the CPU was well done, with a heat pipe to draw the heat away from the chip (and accordingly, away from the mainboard). The problem is that the GPU and its low-profile heatsink sit under the DVD drive, and are given a very narrow channel for air to be pulled acrosss the heatsink by the fans. When the GPU heats up enough, not only does it reflow the solder in the ball grid array slightly, it can cause the entire mainboard to flex - a phenomenon largely caused by the X-shaped brackets that hold the heatsinks on under the mainboard. They hold the heatsinks down to the chips with a tension fit that presses up directly underneath those chips.

So when the system gets too hot, the combination of loosened solder with a mainboard that flexes from heat causes the GPU or CPU to actually break its connection from the board - resulting in the 3 red lights and secondary error code 0102 (the “unknown hardware error” code).