By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next 360 redesign...JASPER

endimion said:
kn said:
I don't know if anyone caught the pictures of the falcon board, but the X clamp is replaced by heavy duty screws. That combined with the secondary heat sink removing more heat probably means the RROD problem will be *signficantly* reduced. How significant? Time will tell but I bet they have it down close to average failure rate of electronic products overall...

I'm on a "second heat sink" unit but I don't think it is a Falcon. It is a late July manufacture. It is quiet and produces quite a bit less heat than my first unit. Note my first unit didn't RROD... The DVD drive failed.

For those on the fence, find a falcon with an HDMI and jump in. You have a 3 year warranty. You are missing out on some amazing games while you sit. Even though I was irritated with my 360's failure, I am still happy I bought it. Gears, Oblivion, Halo, PGR4, and so on are just mocking you as you sit on the sidelines...

what kind of failure ??? and what did they fix on your console ???

I had literally JUST finished playing Halo 2 and took out the disk.  I put in something else to play -- I think it was Burnout -- and the disk started making a screeching grinding like noise.  It sounded to me like the disk was WAY out of balance and was resonating.  I took the disk out and put another in thinking it was burnout but it did the same thing.  The drive refused to read any more disks.  Prior to the failure is was as quiet as a mouse.

The console itself continued to work just fine.  I continued to play XBLA games and demos but I couldn't read DVD games.

I got a new unit back (not a refurb) that had all the new fixes. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

The RRoD has not been reported on any console with the falcon chip. Remember that their are both models on sale still till they have sold all the 360's without falcon.