By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Report : PS3 faltering as publishers back Wii

Are you claiming piracy will somehow increase this gen to the point where the Wii won't make any software profit?

Any reason why piracy would be higher than usual? 'Cause the GBA and DS should have been deemed unprofitable a long time ago. You don't even need mod chips to play unofficial games.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

Piracy is far higher on the PSP than any platform. I think it has as much to do with the target audience of the games as the ease of piracy.

Neos said:
ssj12 said:
Sony really needs to advertise the PSN games... if you include those there's about 90 gamers released for the PS3.

we might aswell include VC games then?

But that would make for a fair comparison...

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

FishyJoe said:
Piracy is far higher on the PSP than any platform. I think it has as much to do with the target audience of the games as the ease of piracy.

If you plan to sell a product because it is technically better then the competition then i think that you can only expect that your audience that still wants to buy the product also knows what product they are buying and what it is capable of.

Sony just lacks a master plan, they just release some novelty hardware and hope that it will sell. The only strategy Sony had those last 5 years was to push ATTRAC,UMD,Blue-Ray and they failed three times... I can just wonder what format the PS4 will bring us.

For the rest the software for the Wii is mediocre, yet i don't have time to play games every week (like many others) so thats just fine for me. For the die-hards there is always an option to buy a Wii and an XBox360.

Caey said:
FishyJoe said:

If you plan to sell a product because it is technically better then the competition then i think that you can only expect that your audience that still wants to buy the product also knows what product they are buying and what it is capable of.

Sony just lacks a master plan, they just release some novelty hardware and hope that it will sell. The only strategy Sony had those last 5 years was to push ATTRAC,UMD,Blue-Ray and they failed three times... I can just wonder what format the PS4 will bring us.

For the rest the software for the Wii is mediocre, yet i don't have time to play games every week (like many others) so thats just fine for me. For the die-hards there is always an option to buy a Wii and an XBox360.

Blu-Ray hasn't failed (or won) yet.  So if you don't have time to play games every week, why don't you buy a PS3 since mediocre games don't matter to you.  Or a Game Boy Color, or a Gizmondo, or an Apple II.  I mean, you don't have time to play games, it shouldn't matter what system you have so don't hate on Sony for their "lack of a master plan" when you don't even have time to play games.

Around the Network

The only time I can think of when Piracy negatively impacted software sales for a console on a large enough scale to really matter was the Dreamcast; with no modification necessary, rapid expansion of filesharing, and inexpensive (readily available) game media a large portion of the Dreamcast's small userbase stole games.

The second someone has to open up their system and modify it the rate of piracy drops dramatically; most people are not comfortable with modifying something that cost them $200 when they stand a decent chance of destroying it.

I would say that the small portion of a userbase that does tend to steal games can benefit the system because these gamers are often far more vocal and will promote the system to less knowledgeable gamers.

I bet neos is having an orgasm..

I think the 40gig will explode in sales..maybe even selling out..

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=130057014&blogID=317332691&indicate=1

mM
leo-j said:
I bet neos is having an orgasm..

I think the 40gig will explode in sales..maybe even selling out..

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=130057014&blogID=317332691&indicate=1

Ah Leo.... Always the Sony optomist.  I hope your right, but I'd be very surprised.  If Jack Tretton ever retires, I nominate you for President SOA.

kber81 said:
fkusumot said:

Eight of the top fifteen. Did you count differently than me?

Nope. You are correct. It's really sad. Only 15 of 85 Wii games have score +75%... 

45 of 83 PS3 games have score +75%... It clearly shows that it's not easy to buy a good game for Wii.

Actually it just shows that sports games almost never score below a 75.

Using Gamerankings.com

PS3Wii
 Total80%+Total75%+
Action138154
Action Adventure6173
Adventure0000
Driving7421
Misc00123
Roleplaying3220
Simulation3020
Sports131184
Strategy0010

If you really (REALLY) like Sports and Action games the PS3 probably has a much better line-up ...