By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Report : PS3 faltering as publishers back Wii

grandmaster192 said:
Neos said:

Nintendo themselves.

lol! Let's not ahead of ouselfs. Nintendo makes great games, but not with the same variety that Capcom does.

No. I think you are getting ahead of yourself saying that capcom is anywhere near as good of a developer as Nintendo. Don't get me wrong. Capcom is AMAZING IMO, but no one compares to Nintendo for quality and quantity of games produced.

Just kiss the tip.

Around the Network

wtf??

The Wii has three proved games that will bring the non-gamers, and those games are Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
Maybe you should check the sales for those games on these site, because Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart are potential 10 million sellers, and smash will surely pass 5 million sold.
And it has Wii Fit, that if promoted correctly could be the next Brain Training.
And all of those games are coming in the short term (probably before April next year).

On the other hand the PS3 has err... MGS4 (a series declining in sales) and FFXIII that no one knows when it will be released.
Then there is Afrika that looks like a copy of Pokemon Snap (always a good thing) but it's sales are unpredictable.

Games getting semi-decent reviews, let alone a certain SCORE, doesn't mean it's good/will drive sales.

Anyone just saying NO GOOD WII GAMES LOOKIE SCORES is not personally experienced to speak on the subject. Heavenly Sword got overall "good" reviews but that doesn't mean it's something I want to play (and I unfortunately have a Playstation 3). I'm sure Rayman Rabbids got worse reviews than Motorstorm but I'd rather play Rayman, because it was fun. Red Steel was a fun diversion too at launch. People who just quote review scores are really obnoxious.

Again, I don't think any system will be short in good games this generation, but it's not surprising the Wii is starting out with a lot of cheap cash-ins and crap considering it was expected to be a huge flop. The fact that some good 3rd party games are starting to show up this early is very promising. It's already looking much better than the GC and the GC had some of the best 3rd party games of the last generation.

I repeat: There will be plenty of good games on all systems this generation.

Ah yes, as I've seen in previous generations.

First year is over, now developers are choosing which console they will develop for the rest of this generation. Since the Wii is selling faster (and outsold its competitors) devs will aim for the Wii for most of their projects.

This is what helped the PS1. Most games were SNES ports with CD Audio and Intro FMVs (WHOA!) But they gave Sony the huge library they needed to pull ahead of the N64 and Saturn.

This is what helped the PS2. Most games were PS1/DC ports with more polygons and better quality videos(WHOA!) But they gave Sony the huge library they needed to keep their lead over the GC and XBox.

Now this will help the Wii. Most of these new games are PS2 ports with waggle and improved framerates (WHOA!) But will give the Wii the huge library it needs to stay ahead of the PS3 and X360.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Again, I don't think any system will be short in good games this generation, but it's not surprising the Wii is starting out with a lot of cheap cash-ins and crap considering it was expected to be a huge flop. The fact that some good 3rd party games are starting to show up this early is very promising. It's already looking much better than the GC and the GC had some of the best 3rd party games of the last generation.

Something I think a lot of people who are arguing with you are missing is that everyone's expectations for how the Wii and PS3 were going to sell were vastly different 18 months ago than they were today. From the way third party developers were talking 18 months ago it is reasonable to say that the Wii has (or will very soon) pass their lifetime expectations for system sales, at the same time the PS3 has failed to meet their expectations to how the system would sell by March 31st 2007. In an environment where it takes 12 to 24 months to adjust it is reasonably impressive that the Wii has seen such a boost so early.

HappySqurriel said:
naznatips said:

Something I think a lot of people who are arguing with you are missing is that everyone's expectations for how the Wii and PS3 were going to sell were vastly different 18 months ago than they were today. From the way third party developers were talking 18 months ago it is reasonable to say that the Wii has (or will very soon) pass their lifetime expectations for system sales, at the same time the PS3 has failed to meet their expectations to how the system would sell by March 31st 2007. In an environment where it takes 12 to 24 months to adjust it is reasonably impressive that the Wii has seen such a boost so early.

Thanks for helping clarify that Happy.  That's my point basically.  If you take it at just face value then yes the Wii's 3rd party support sucks, but if you consider all factors there are a lot of promising looking games very early in its life and a lot of signs that point towards strong 3rd party support in the very near future including statements from the developers themselves to this effect.  This 80 some games aren't all great, but they are a positive step for the system and a good sign.

I think we are going to see a lot of developers change plans from a 20 million dollar PS3 games to a 10 million dollar 360/PS3 game and send half their team and the other 10 million to make make 2,3..6 Wii games. This will be a business decision about diversifing their investment against risk. It will still be important to make big flashy games to brand your company. But it is also important to follow the money.

Just look at movie studios. They put out the mega blockbuster flashy titles, the small pretigie pieces, and the mid level comedy horror popcorn filler. They try to be everything to everyone everywhere. Wherever the market moves they will be there. Game publishers are going the same way. Look at EA which said they didn't put much stock in the Wii but still came out with about a dozen games in the first year. A year in which they just started to shift development resources to the Wii.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Sony really needs to advertise the PSN games... if you include those there's about 90 gamers released for the PS3.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Sony really needs to advertise the PSN games... if you include those there's about 90 gamers released for the PS3.

we might aswell include VC games then?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!