By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - ( Xbox 360 Pro ) Being Phased Out Pretty Soon?

kowenicki said:
Carl2291 said:
kowenicki said:
if elite drops to £169 from £229 then it will more than negate any PS3 price drop... the PS3 isn't going to drop from £299 to below £200

How do you know that? The 360 is already heavily marketted in the UK as having a £130 opening price point, marketting this to be £169 wont have an effect at all to the normal everyday customers.

It might not even boost sales that much at all. If they want to dent a possible £100 pricecut from PS3, they need to make the Elite cheaper than what the Pro was, say, £150 which doesn't seem likely at all unless the Arcade goes to £100 or less.

I meant it would negate the price drop... meaning the differential will stay pretty much the same...

There is no way there will be a £100 price drop... $170 dollars!?... I would be very very surprised. 

If, as rumoured by IGN, the PS3 stays above £240 ($100 price drop) then I dont think it will make much difference in the UK anyway.

Possibly stay the same, we dont know what effects removing the Pro model will create yet and we dont have any idea how well Sony will market the PS3 this Holiday.

£100 would be possible, just highly unlikely... id say its the futhest they could go right now. As you say, the ~£240 price will be way more likely and it seems to fit in with a lot of speculation about a $300 PS3 in America.

Around the Network

I'll be buying the Elite day one.

Hmm this is interesting, now that its pretty much confirmed I wonder what it means for the hardware SKUs themselves?

My suspicions are that they want to create a dual pricing tier for the core gamers, for those 'in the know' and those 'not in the know'. I haven't given this much thought but thats my initial impression!

Both the Elite and Arcade are actually on different production lines, The arcade is FDOU and the Elite/Premium were CSON. This means that the features and specifications of them can differ if they so wish. I also heard rumours of an increase in HDD size for the Elite SKU from Fudzilla.

They couldn't add wireless to the design unless they both change the hardware slightly and do a motherboard revision. The current Xbox 360 design acts as a faraday cage for wireless signals and anything that escapes gets eaten by the interference from the 2.4ghz wireless module for the controllers.

Maybe, this could happen but only if they release Valhalla this year.

1. Shortened PCB (due to combining the two dies) leaves space for the PSU to go internal.

2. With a slightly modified hardware shell they could make room for an external wireless antenna. (spelling!)

So they could add wireless to the Xbox 360 Elite.

Now im not sure if this is whats going to happen but my best guess if the above Valhalla shrink happens this year.

Elite 240GB+ with wireless $300

Arcade 256mb basic unit $150

Shadow premium SKU $220-$250 (upgraded Arcade)

This way it solves the issue of having a premium SKU dictating the price of the Arcade upgraded HDDs (they want to encourage people to have HDDs for downloading) and it lowers the price over all two (three) SKUs. It also means that someone can't take an Arcade and add a HDD and make it an Elite, so it gives them more freedom in relative pricing.

Tease.

welshbloke said:
I notice they claim "Live" is free but without any little caveat such as you need Gold to play online. Of course the * could be so small I cannot see it.

Looks like this is going to become reality. I was a little suprised as I thought the Pro would become the Arcade and the Elite the pro as I think they are missing a trick by not including the HDD.

Of course I then go against mantra of choice and the 360 Arcade is the choice of the person who does not need a HDD.

Now we await pricing.

Errm...Yes it does...it tells you what the difference is beteween free XBL Silver..And Not free XBL Gold....

kowenicki said:
@bmaker

its the price differential that mattters for the holidays...

how much more do people think a PS3 is worth.... if anything?

I'm just saying, if the main 360 is still at the price of $300, nothing really changes other than you just have less options for SKUs. Yes, people will think, "The Elite is only $300 now, what a value!" but it's still the price they're paying for a normal 360. A true price drop, not a phasing out will reap better rewards.

Remember when Sony phased out the 60GB by selling it for $500 (even though there were $500 20GBs). Yea, sales went up a bit, but people realized...."wait, I'm still paying a standard price for a PS3" and then sales leveled out again. Then Sony introduced the 40GB at a price of $400, a true price change, and sales went through the metaphorically roof (relatively speaking).

The 360 costs $300 for most true gamers, as of now. The Elite dropping to $300 just makes it a Pro with a phat HDD. Better reqards would come to fruition if they kept the Pro, dropped the Arcade maybe $50, drop the Pro, and then drop the Elite, not just replace the Pro with a unit at the same price. If Sony releases the Slim and just replaces the 80GB...it'll be the same effect, or rather lack thereof