By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Jaffe's Twitter Says PS3 Price Drop. Now ...$199

Even if it was possible, I'm not sure the would want to do it ... When you're trailing by a wide margin in many markets, and you're sales are down a lot year over year, the last thing you want to do is something that makes it look like you're desperate.

Around the Network
waron said:
tedsteriscool said:
JEDE3 said:
waron said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

hahaha That would be something.

They are still not profitable at 399 USD. So a $230 loss for every console sold would be.... let's say it friendly... "concern" shareholders.

You sure about that?

Well if they are profitable at that price point, I'd sure like to know why they keep bleeding money.

they were(and probably still are) working on ps3 slim,

they've made go,

they have many big budget games in the works,

wiimote ripoff,

the fact that none of their 2009 retail games made profit didn't help either,

if ps3 would hit 199$ in europe and i mean real 199$ not sonys usual 1$ = 1£ crap i would get one even if it would be 20gb model just for exclusive games and imports.

Woah, no 2009 game made profit? That's news to me. Got a link?

He doesn't need a link. That's waron!

well they released two big ps3 games infamous and killzone 2.

killzone 2 had like 55-60mln$ development budget. Guerilla games confirmed back in the beginning of 2008 that they exceeded 40mln$ budget by huge margin and if you add marketing it makes it probably 70mln$ project. fact that it "sold" 1.76 with more than 500k being given away for free with ps3 as bundles didn't help them either.

infamous sold so far only 700k with its marketing and the fact that it was given away free with bundles(probably 150-200k copies were sold in bundles) still have a long way to break even.

both Singstar games bombed hard. Singstar Queen sold only 70k and considering that Queen is ultra big in europe and how expensive Queen licenses are, it bombed hard. Singstar Pop sold only 40k.

than there's MLB 09 The Show that might have made some profit to them.

$60 million at the start of 08?  You do realize that figure originated from Surfer Girl, don't you?

BTW: The initial reports put Killzone 2 at 16 million Euros, which appoximated 21 million USD.  Not 21 million Euros and 30 million USD.

Not surprising that you would trust such a sketchy source (Sufer Girl?  Seriously? ) simply because it makes a ps3 game look bad.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

no way is that true...jaffe's got u going lol

its was a joke =(

the best RPG's are coming 2013 !!!! oh my god, this is perfect for RPG-GAMER = ) Ni No Kuni - 25 january, Time and Eternity, tales of xillia (PS3) and the maybe best game ever: metal gear solid ground zero

nen-suer said:
waron said:
tedsteriscool said:
JEDE3 said:
waron said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

They are still not profitable at 399 USD. So a $230 loss for every console sold would be.... let's say it friendly... "concern" shareholders.

You sure about that?

Well if they are profitable at that price point, I'd sure like to know why they keep bleeding money.

they were(and probably still are) working on ps3 slim,

they've made go,

they have many big budget games in the works,

wiimote ripoff,

the fact that none of their 2009 retail games made profit didn't help either,

if ps3 would hit 199$ in europe and i mean real 199$ not sonys usual 1$ = 1£ crap i would get one even if it would be 20gb model just for exclusive games and imports.

Woah, no 2009 game made profit? That's news to me. Got a link?

He doesn't need a link. That's waron!

well they released two big ps3 games infamous and killzone 2.

killzone 2 had like 55-60mln$ development budget. Guerilla games confirmed back in the beginning of 2008 that they exceeded 40mln$ budget by huge margin and if you add marketing it makes it probably 70mln$ project. fact that it "sold" 1.76 with more than 500k being given away for free with ps3 as bundles didn't help them either.

infamous sold so far only 700k with its marketing and the fact that it was given away free with bundles(probably 150-200k copies were sold in bundles) still have a long way to break even.

both Singstar games bombed hard. Singstar Queen sold only 70k and considering that Queen is ultra big in europe and how expensive Queen licenses are, it bombed hard. Singstar Pop sold only 40k.

than there's MLB 09 The Show that might have made some profit to them.

$60 million at the start of 08?  You do realize that figure originated from Surfer Girl, don't you?

BTW: The initial reports put Killzone 2 at 16 million Euros, which appoximated 21 million USD.  Not 21 million Euros and 30 million USD.

Not surprising that you would trust such a sketchy source (Sufer Girl?  Seriously? ) simply because it makes a ps3 game look bad.

I also believe that the intial report was talking about how much they could end up spendiing. Not what they were at in that moment. Waron, for some reason, is also completely ignoring the fact that sony gets money per each one shipped. Not sold to consumers like he makes it seem. And the bundles that we do have a figure for shows bundles don't take up 50% of sales like he suggests.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Even if it was possible, I'm not sure the would want to do it ... When you're trailing by a wide margin in many markets, and you're sales are down a lot year over year, the last thing you want to do is something that makes it look like you're desperate.

it functionned pretty well for the 360 with the 2 price cut in Europe

And, since it seems to matter, that will allow them to have a positive year to year comparaison for 2009vs2010 (like the 360 for 2008vs2009) ...

Time to Work !

Jaffe's just done a huge disservice to Sony. While it's a joke $199 and P3s have now been linked in people's minds, ss when PS3 Slim comes out with a price tag of $299 people are going to be less impressed at that price point and many will decide to hold off until it hits the $249 price, but that will be a year or 2 off at least.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Munkeh111 said:
"I keed...I keed! But wouldn't that rock?!?! Hey, gimme a break! It's late and I'm working on a Sunday nite! Sue me! :) Love ya'll! :)"

Duh

/thread

binary solo said:
Jaffe's just done a huge disservice to Sony. While it's a joke $199 and P3s have now been linked in people's minds, ss when PS3 Slim comes out with a price tag of $299 people are going to be less impressed at that price point and many will decide to hold off until it hits the $249 price, but that will be a year or 2 off at least.

you mean us ???

the poor asshole that already have a ps3 or 360 and that read internet videogames news ?

Time to Work !

CGI-Quality said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
CGI-Quality said:
DirtyP2002 said:

You sure about that?

You belive it's all from PS3? Wow, how misinformed people have become...

Exactly, last year people liked to blame the Ps3 as the sole purpose of Sony's financial disaster. A year later we see what Sony has really been up to. 2 PSP revisions, one PS3 revision (All but confirmed), PS wand, and I'd like to believe they are preparing a little better for the next gen than they did this time. Thats a lot of projects in development not on the market making revenue from Sony. Not only do they have the R&D but also since the PS3 has been out the yen went from 120 yen per dollar to 90 yen per dollar. Which doesn't only effect the Ps3 but also everything. Ps2, PSP, and SW become less profitable (Maybe even taking a slight loss in PSP case) THink about it. A 30 yen drop is the difference between 11,400 yen for SOny on each Ps3 sold to US(Almost 8 billion yen in Dec alone just on the Ps3). The PSP Go is very real. Its due out in Oct. And these things don't just magically appear from thin air. They need to manufacture them months in advance. That means whatever PSP Go and PS3 slim that are being manufactured right now are a pure loss since, again, these aren't being sold but just sitting around.