By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Manufacturing Costs Reduced By 70%

It's here http://n4g.com/ps3/News-369123.aspx 

btw Sony's numbers confirms PS3 hitting 24 million units sold wtf is wrong with these  numbers vgc??

Around the Network

lol this is the 4th thread about this....

Zedux said:

btw Sony's numbers confirms PS3 hitting 24 million units sold wtf is wrong with these  numbers vgc??

23.8 million SHIPPED!

22.7 million sold according to VGC at the same time... 1 million seems an adequate chain of supply to me.

----

Why is it people complaining about the PS3 figure 90% of the time.... you realise Nintendo just released it's shipped figures too, and MS a few weeks back as well.

SHIPPED vs. SOLD
Wii - 52.62 vs. 51 million
PS3 - 23.83 vs. 22.7 million
360 - 31.40 vs. 31.1 million (this is the more incorrect looking figure, as the sales are too close to shipped... I suspect XB has been overestimated a little (400-500k maybe)

1 billionth thread, but yes, the PS3 is probably a little under

70% from launch???

Shipped to retailers?

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I always hate the "by X%" figures because it can mean two very different things depending on whether the percentage is calculated based on the original value or the new value; and I most often see it used as a way to spin the value in a way to make it look better than it really is. Basically, if you assumed that the PS3 initially cost $1,000 people might make the claime that the cost of the PS3 was reduced "by 70%" either when the manufacturing cost hit 30% (70% reduction from $1,000) or when the price hit $588 ($1,000 is 170% of $588).

Now, I think it is (fairly) safe to assume that at $400 Sony is (somewhat) close to breaking even which would imply to me that they either weren't losing that much money on the PS3 initially (roughly $700 manufacturing cost) or that the initial run of PS3 systems was even more expensive than the analysts estimated ($1,300+).

Already posted

Sony just lost 390 million dollars in their gaming division.

Nowhere close to breaking even if you think about it logically.

ANOTHER one?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective