By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone know if 3D glasses technology will be available for HD consoles

The shutter 3D technology has been available on PC for over a year now and Nvidia recently released GeForce 3D Vision which blew me away at a friends place. http://gear.ign.com/articles/969/969307p1.html

I have a Samsung TV that supports this (you need 120HZ TV that supports it) and am wondering if anyone knows if this is available...or if it will be available for next gen consoles? There are some prototypes for this technology...such as this AMAZING demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

...but I have not seen a product that will work on ps360 yet.

Anyone have any insight in to this?

Around the Network

Oh, I have a TV that has 120hz refresh - and I'd love to try it. I do get dizzy on some stuff on my TV - like the Xbox games with 120hz refresh enabled - makes me feel like I'm in a centrifuge.

There was an article a while back that said the PS3 could support it as early as next year. Don't know if there's been any updates on that though.

madskillz said:
Oh, I have a TV that has 120hz refresh - and I'd love to try it. I do get dizzy on some stuff on my TV - like the Xbox games with 120hz refresh enabled - makes me feel like I'm in a centrifuge.

haha...well good news is that you will be seeing images at 60HZ with this tech...in 3D but 60 HZ :)

I have the last LED DLP made samsung TV and that has a jack for all kinds of 3D glasses. So I don't have to use the Nvidea ones (which are waaay overpriced)

But I don't do PC gaming so I am hoping someone does this for the 360 or PS3. I'll plunk 399 on a ps3 if it supports this...

Xbox 360 supports it but you need one with a HDMI connection*.

*Edit: Oops it may be available on Xbox 360s without HDMI as well since VGA also supports the required resolution for it.

Around the Network

I just read an interview on eurogamer about a new XBL/PSN game using 3D technology today in fact! The game is called Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao. It should be releasing soon too.

The interview is really an interesting read discussing the tech behind the project and new ways of developing games and engines as a result.
source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/through-the-3d-stereoscopic-looking-glass-interview

Also there will be the James Cameron 3D game: "Avatar" releasing later this year in late November I think close to the film's release. The guy in the interview mentions he got to see the game in person. Said the jungles in 3D looked really cool.

Edit: Reading this stuff makes me want to get a 3D HTDV for games and movies!

Legend11 said:
Xbox 360 supports it but you need one with a HDMI connection.

can you post how this is possible on the 360? I have not seen anything allowing this on the 360. There was a demo that Texas intruments did where 2 players can play on one screen using 2 Xbox 360s...but I have not seen any tech that will let user do this at home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

@HideoK

Interesting stuff. This actually may be a way to go...Xbox live or PSN games. Because in order to make this work you need 2 video streams...and 60FPS each. I have yet to see more than 5 retail game sthis gen that have 60fps using 1 video stream...lol

I guess PC is the way to go for now. Imagine the benchmark for Crysis to do this...2X rendering at 60 fps...nuts.

@disolitude
Yeah so for this console generation 3D games will mostly have to be XBL & PSN games. It probably won't be until next generation of consoles where they will have the power to do a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in 3D due to the 60FPS framerate requirement and 2 video streams. Not to mention all of the far draw distances which require even more processing power for the depth of field.

I wonder what kinds of compromises 'Avatar' might need to make.

HideoK said:
@disolitude
Yeah so for this console generation 3D games will mostly have to be XBL & PSN games. It probably won't be until next generation of consoles where they will have the power to do a game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 in 3D due to the 60FPS framerate requirement and 2 video streams. Not to mention all of the far draw distances which require even more processing power for the depth of field.

I wonder what kinds of compromises 'Avatar' might need to make.

Avatar is a movie in 3d that James cameron is making...are you sure a 3D game is in the works too?

Id be totally fine with XBL/PSN games in 3d and big games like MW2 in 3D on PC (which they are...any PC game, including newly released RE5 is in 3D on PC)...

I really need to upgrade my video card if I want to render Crysis in 3D. I can barely run it as is...