By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What does it take for a Company to leave the console business?

So all said..... I see Sony recovering in 2008.
And I still see them beating the other contenders in the long run.

As for MS, they have to companies to worry about. those are Apple and Sony.

31 million PS3's by end of this year

Around the Network

I have to agree that 2008 should be a good year for PS3. However I seriously don't see them catching either of their competitors until at least 2010. Yes they have some good games coming out that should move some hardware but look at the Halo series. Other than the first one, which was a launch title, they really didn't impact hardware as much as people expected and these are games that sell 5-8 million copies in a couple of months. In my mind there are only 2 games that can really push PS3 hardware out the door and thats Gran Tourismo and Final Fantasy. I just don't see PS3 catching up.

Next gen either Sony does a more budget level gaming console or they bow out. Personally, the PS1 and PS2 were never that powerful, I don't understand why Sony suddenly decided that their hardware had to be a total powerhouse. This is when they started to lose momentum. The PS1 wasn't as powerful as the N64, and the PS2 wasn't as powerful as the xbox or the gamecube. But the PSP is the most powerful handheld and while it's starting to sell, its still in second. The PS3 is the most powerful console and its in a distant third.

The SNES is the only console to win a gen as the most powerful. This was because Nintendo had the immense developer support and Sega was relatively new. The PSP was the beginning of their downfall in the gaming business. I don't think they will last that much longer.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy

Another issue is that even if Sony is able to sell enough consoles to catch Nintendo and Microsoft, will they be able to make any profit at all. I'm agreeing with John Lucas who says that they need to sell 100 million consoles just to make some money in this business. I think the stockholders will pull the plug because 50 mill is a best case scenario for Sony right now and i don't think that will make them any money.

Currently Playing:

Wii - Mario Galaxy

Adam540 said:
Another issue is that even if Sony is able to sell enough consoles to catch Nintendo and Microsoft, will they be able to make any profit at all. I'm agreeing with John Lucas who says that they need to sell 100 million consoles just to make some money in this business. I think the stockholders will pull the plug because 50 mill is a best case scenario for Sony right now and i don't think that will make them any money.

So... worth case scenario for Sony, $400 PS3 fails, system sells 800k this Holiday, next spring the drop the conole to $300 and have their good games, sales are less than 500k, they pull the plus. Late 2010 they pull the plus on PSP and PS2, and Playstation brand dies.

Worst case for Xbox 360- cosnole stagnates, sells 30 million units, they lose 2 billion on Xbox 360, they decide to bow out of the maret.

Worst case for Nitnedo- Wii sales are huge this Wineter, but begin to weaken throughout he year. THey have an 08 winter comeback, but end up in a 3 way tie with Xbox leading in USA, PS3 leading in apan, and PS3 walso barley winning in Europe. PSe sells 50 million, Wii 4x, Xbox 360 4xThe industry stagnate adn shrinkes overall. The DS also declines, and tops out at 90 million.

I would say Sony is by far in the most trouble...

I think there won't be home 'video game' consoles within ten years from now. So most of what is being said is moot.

The convergence of devices is coming. It didn't happen as promised by Sony last generation, and it won't pan out as much as Sony and MS hope this generation. But I think it will make a difference in the PS4, Xbox 1080, and Wii 2. All three will do a heck of a lot more than playing games, though Nintendo's effort will probably be the least feature-rich of the three. And those will be the last systems that will really be called home video game consoles. The playing of video games will become almost a secondary feature to everything else they will be able to do...

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

@ADAM

How did this become a "sony will lose hahahaha nintendo ftw!" thread?

mM

@leo-j

isn't thats what ALL THE THREADS here become eventually

ON TOPIC

I think HUGE losses

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

leo-j said:
@ADAM

How did this become a "sony will lose hahahaha nintendo ftw!" thread?

johnlucas.

I have yet to see a Sony booster respond to the article I posted. To be blunt it is pretty damning. Further more it demands consideration. Instead I get the feeling they say the post, and decided it was a no win scenario so they just ignored it. Which is fine I will just smack it down in another thread and another as long as it is on topic until I get a response. Once I start doing that they will either have to respond or I can silence them in any thread. So you guys are not doing yourselves any favors here. You either reply to it here or in another thread.

its not that people are laughing as they cheer nintendo on and curse sony, it's that people are looking at the facts and the market and predicting that Sony is in the worst situation right now. If they continue to bring in huge losses then they may have to leave the console biz.

Currently Playing:

Wii - Mario Galaxy